Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any dutch oven meatloaf tipps on the egg

Options
Im trying to do a meatloaf for the first time in a dutch oven on the green egg.  I have 3lbs lean ground beef couple cups oatmeal 1 large green pepper 1 large chopped onion 5 cloves garlic dash thyme of  dash oregano and cow lick from dizzy pig 2 jalapenos one can diced tomatoes any ideas on temp of egg and temp to pull and any topper for it besides ketchup thanks for help will post pictures when we get going
Large egg panhandle of florida

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Your recipe sounds amazing.  I have only made meatloaf once on the egg and used a meatloaf pan (I didn't know there was such a thing).  The pan raises the meat above all of the juices.  So my only advice would be to find a way to raise the meat, otherwise, it will be sitting in an inch of fat, etc.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Sorry, but why mess with the Dutch oven? Put the loaf directly on the grill, assuming it's a fairly tightly packed loaf. If you're concerned with it falling through, a bit of a bacon weave for a base works great. A slice or two of bacon on top of the ketchup is a nice touch too. 
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I've never used a pan of any kind on the egg when doing meatloaf. Like @itsmce suggested just pack it tight . Indirect 350 for probably 90 minutes or so. If you want the outside to have a crunch to it you can up the temp to around 400° and check it at about an hour.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    itsmce said:
    Sorry, but why mess with the Dutch oven? Put the loaf directly on the grill, assuming it's a fairly tightly packed loaf. If you're concerned with it falling through, a bit of a bacon weave for a base works great. A slice or two of bacon on top of the ketchup is a nice touch too. 
    This ^^^

One of mine...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    itsmce said:
    This ^^^

One of mine...
    that looks great what did you top it with
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    I've never used a pan of any kind on the egg when doing meatloaf. Like @itsmce suggested just pack it tight . Indirect 350 for probably 90 minutes or so. If you want the outside to have a crunch to it you can up the temp to around 400° and check it at about an hour.

What internal temp you looking for in the meat laof
  • Scottborasjr
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Usda says 165° for any kind of ground beef. I typically pull my meat loaf at about 155° and it will continue to rise to about 160 while waiting a few minutes for it to rest before slicing. I also don't think I've ever done one that was three pounds. Typically mine are two pounds, so my time estimates could be off a bit.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    Scottborasjr did it stay moist not just like a big burger that dried out that is my concern
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    itsmce said:
    This ^^^
    that looks great what did you top it with
    Thanks. I have no idea what that is. Too long ago. Maybe some flavor of Sweet Baby Rays?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    It stays moist, but you will find most things stay more moist in the egg then they do other cooking vessels. I actually cook things closer to the "scientific" done temp on the egg because it retains moisture so well.
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    Pre cook pictures I decided to try dutch oven on egg
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    Done tasty dinner
  • beachsmoke