Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

iGrill2

Options
Anyone have any experience with this?

I currently have a BBQ Guru which is a beautiful piece of machinery that I love. The thing about the iGrill that I like is being able to monitor it from my iPhone 6. That would be the icing on the cake for me. 

Any issues with the iGrill, app?

Comments

• BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    I have the original iGrill and the new one that takes 1 probe. Both are awesome for monitoring.   The Bluetooth is not nearly 100 feet but enough I can monitor my deck from in my house.   They can chew through batteries at times (didn't I just replace batteries a few weeks ago?  Type)  but benefits outweigh that for me.   I love mine. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I've had one for a few months. Depending on your distance, connectivity might be an issue. I lose connectivity as close as 25 feet at times.  It's nice having four ports. I've got the two original probes and purchased the ambient probe as well. I enjoy mine when the weathers bad. Battery life seems okay. The phone app could be more user friendly, but it's not bad once you get used to it. Also, I would like an easier way to keep/track prior cooks. My biggest grip is not being able to rely on the alarms. I went to sleep while I was cooking a pork butt  iGrill shut off. Now I just set my phone alarm every hour to check on it. Still better than getting off the couch and traipsing through the snow to check on the egg. 

I just got an email from thermoworks and think they have something similar. I would check out their site to see what they have. Without seeing the thermoworks product, I'd blindly buy it off their specs. Their company seems to put out quality products evidenced by the fact most BGE owners use a Thermapen or ThermoPop. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Guess I should do more reading as I didn't know it doesn't control the air temp like my DigiQ. Two very different tools. Would have been nice to be able to monitor it via my phone. 

I know there are other controllers out there that will allow me to do this, but I already have the DigiQ. 

Still might ask for it for Father's Day. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @r8rs4lf, if your looking for a pit controller, try sending @NPHuskerFLa PM. He uses a stoker. I think it's WiFi and that he can control it with his phone. I could be completely wrong, but he'd be great reference to start with. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    @r8rs4lf, if your looking for a pit controller, try sending @NPHuskerFLa PM. He uses a stoker. I think it's WiFi and that he can control it with his phone. I could be completely wrong, but he'd be great reference to start with. 
    I know about the stoker already. Problem is I already have the DigiQ. Thanks though. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Stoker wotks great on Wi-Fi or on regular network. I'm not familiar with the iGrill capabilities or short falls. The Stoker is reliable and works for me. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL