Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg owner

Options
just picked up my new large egg. Paid 850.00 out the door for the egg, ps, and pizza stone!!  Great deal from a friendly dealer. 

Comments

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    ChrisgrillsSTLMO Posts: 397
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Congrats!!! Once you do your first lower temp cooks to break the Egg in, the pizza on the Egg will change your life for the better. Welcome and remember to post pics!

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Welcome to the club - You can never go back.
    Milton, GA.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Damn good price...where? Welcome. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Congrats!  You got a great deal! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  A game changer for sure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Welcome.  Lets see a pic of that thing once it assembled!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    Congratulations on that price point.  Welcome and realize you'll never be the same again.  

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome, and congrats on the price!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Welcome to the asylum. My wife thinks that egging falls in the mental illness category... but sure does enjoy what I grill.
  • jager
    jager Posts: 9
    Options
    I got it in boca grade florida
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Welcome jager.  Looks like you barely got that sucker in the vehicle.
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    Was that with a nest?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Damm, You know your gonna get hooked on egging now. Congrats and get egging. Welcome to the club.  
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Again I will try to pepare you, find a shrink a good butcher and a home equity loan to pay for it. Welcome
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Welcome.... This will become your full time hobby..... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Welcome!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome!  Avoid the devastated thread for at least 6 months. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Would take 6 months to read through all that trash. 

Little Rock, AR

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Welcome!
    McKinney, TX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    And the fun begins. Welcome. 

I just glanced through your first thread discussion. It looks like your off to a great start. I'm not sure how long you've been lurking on the site prior to joining, but you're in the right place to make the learning curve much easier. Some information will be very useful and helpful. You're also going to get a lot of opinions of what's best like fat cap up/down, chicken direct vs indirect, this lump that lump, light this way or that way, etc. etc. I suggest just pick technique or brand and try it. You'll figure out what works for you. 

Tools/accessories I use frequently:
    grill gripper...............................Every cook and often once or twice during a cook. 
    ThermoPop..............................Approximately 90% of the time (made by Thermoworks.      
                                                     The same company that makes then Thermapen)
    Plate setter...............................Frequently 
    Simple cotton pot holders........Frequently when removing PS. Not a fan of welding  
                                                     gloves when handling PS. 
    Homemade extended grid........I use it to cook raised direct. I've only used it as a 2nd    
                                                      tier a few times. 
    Ash tool....................................Almost every cook

My biggest mistake when I started out was putting the food on before all the bad smoke cleared. The time will depend on the lump and your fire. Just relax, the lump burns a long time and no need to hurry. The best way to distinguish bad smoke from good smoke for me is to hold my hand over the top vent for a second or two and then smell my hand. Bad smell equals bad food, good smell equals good food. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome..loads of  excellent advice here. DO NOT..I REPEAT...DO NOT RUSH OUT AND BUY EVERY ACCESSORY AVAILABLE. BE PATIENT. You will come to realize your needs.
    My BEST SMART BUYS:
    DUAL TEMP THERMOMETER. MEAT PROBE AND GRILL TEMP. ARE IMPORTANT
    THERMO POP . Lets.you check meat temp randomly. You won't use the DUAL TEMP. PROBE probe on steaks etc. SO A INSTANT TEMP. PROBE IS ESSENTIAL. You have entered a new realm and method of cooking. COOKING BY TEMP. 
    SMOKE WARE CAP. Let's ya cook in the rain.
    GOOD PAIR INSULATED WELDING GLOVES. Turning a 100 wings will burn you up.
    25 " tool wizard tongs. Heavy duty. Can flip a 15# packer and LONG TO help you when.searing steaks  ..see gloves above.
    Adjustable.rig from cgi. Versatile,  high volume cooks. Gets you to the.dome.sweet spot.
    great for pizza 
    good lump...makes a HUGE difference
    there's my opinion....fwiw

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Welcome to the egg and welcome to this forum! You will start easy, probably with grilled chicken, and then it goes from there.
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome, you will love it!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Welcome..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Now you have done it.
    Start early with therapy for OCD. Self medicate as needed. Find extra income source for the BGE, lump and food, and enjoy life, because, believe it or not, it has just gotten a whole lot better.
    Welcome. It is nice to know the Kool Aide is working ( maniacal laugh here ).

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    Welcome, and please torque Your bands after a few cooks....
  • jager
    jager Posts: 9
    Options
    No nest. The store does a discount for LEO's. Thanks for all the great advice. Got my wood and in the process of building a table.