Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork disaster?

Options
Got a 10.5lb boneless butt on the egg. It's been on for 22hrs now!!  Followed directions to the letter.....cleaned egg completely, hand filled egg with largest pieces of Royal Oak lump, stabilized egg +\- 250 where it held for 4.5 hrs. Figured all was good and went to bed. Got up @ 5:00am, egg and meat are @ 124 degrees!!  Opened vent and Daisey wheel to bring temp back up.  Been chasing temps since. Highest internal meat temp has been 177. Currently @ 169 and climbing......I'm aware of the stall!  Would like to serve pulled pork tonight. Have I ruined any chance of doing so with the rising then falling temps of both cooking temps and meat temps?  Any help is greatly appreciated. 
Large BGE
Medium BGE
Thermoworks Billows/Signals, Thermapen One, Thermapen MK4
Large Adjustable Rig Combo
Bismarck, ND 

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Believe it or not, the meat will probably be good, maybe not great. The butt was in the "danger zone" for awhile. Still, hard to imagine pathogens growing much at 124F after some hours above that. If the butt hasn't broken out of the stall, that means there still is a good bit of moisture in it. The outside may be over dried. Time to mop w. some apple juice, root beer, whatever.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Foil it and bump temp to 350, will finish quickly so keep an eye on it.
    Jacksonville FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You are good. Pulled pork is very forgiving. You can bump it up if you want to but you should be ready in a few hours if you are at a temp you are comfortable with now. You are out of the stall so you can wrap, or just power it through. Don't go over 300 without wrapping. It will scorch your bark. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Egg on!  Been thru this exact scenario before. Trust the egg, 4.5 hours to stabilize is too much. 

Ill bet bet dinner will be great!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    Options
    check to make sure you still have a fire
    Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • flatbedr
    flatbedr Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!!  In a time crunch.  "Good" news is I bumped the pit up to 300, kept a close eye on that and watched as the meat temp started to rise. Hit 189 degrees, made the decision to pull, wrap and place in the cooler. The meat probe pulled out very easy. The bark wasn't tough at all. Juices flowed when probe was removed. Live and learn!!  
    Large BGE
    Medium BGE
    Thermoworks Billows/Signals, Thermapen One, Thermapen MK4
    Large Adjustable Rig Combo
    Bismarck, ND 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    flatbedr said:
    Thanks for the feedback!!  In a time crunch.  "Good" news is I bumped the pit up to 300, kept a close eye on that and watched as the meat temp started to rise. Hit 189 degrees, made the decision to pull, wrap and place in the cooler. The meat probe pulled out very easy. The bark wasn't tough at all. Juices flowed when probe was removed. Live and learn!!

At 189 you are usually between sliced and pulled, but it probed like butter all over it should be good.  When you unwrap it to pull let it rest for 15-20 minutes before you do.  That will help some of the moisture to come back in.  @DaveRichardson, is right about it taking 4.5 hours to stabilize.  The most I have had is about 1 to 1.5.  Make sure when you put the fire box back in that it is lined up with the bottom vent right.  You should be ok and I look forward to seeing pictures of it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Had the same thing happen to my butt last night, at 3:00 AM my temp was at 235 with an IT of 156, it had been stalled at 156 for close to 3 hours. Woke up at 8 AM and the rain and wind had knocked my tent over and my temp was down to 171 with an IT of 145. i only have another 4 hours to cook before i need to leave so I'm going to try wrapping it and bring the temp up to 300. Wish me luck !!!!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    BIll-W221 said:
    Had the same thing happen to my butt last night, at 3:00 AM my temp was at 235 with an IT of 156, it had been stalled at 156 for close to 3 hours. Woke up at 8 AM and the rain and wind had knocked my tent over and my temp was down to 171 with an IT of 145. i only have another 4 hours to cook before i need to leave so I'm going to try wrapping it and bring the temp up to 300. Wish me luck !!!!
    As long as sugar content is low, go as high as 350. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Picture with NO FORK please! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've never had one done by 190 degrees.  They just don't pull good at that low temp.  About 205 is perfect. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • BIll-W221
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks, I have it at 310 right now wrapped. The IT has started to go up so we'll see how it goes.

And here is a couple of pictures from last weeks practice picnic shoulder

• BIll-W221
    Options
    Thanks for the advice The Yolk, I still couldn't get a steady temp in the egg so I finished in the oven at 350. It is resting now but the chunks that "fell" off are nice and tender and tasted great !!!!

I'll take another shot after it's pulled. Or from the cookout when some is plated. 

And sorry for the thread hijack but I found this old thread by searching for the issue I was having, so maybe others will find it the same way in the future and maybe it will help them too.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I knew it when I read the tag line. This is precisely why they make controllers, over nighters. Another victim of the black hole effect. 
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    And the finished results

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I'd eat some of that! 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    When that happens, wrap it in foil.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks yummy. 
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    10 pound butt at a cookout with 20 people and there were no leftovers. There was a ton of food but this was the only empty bowl on the table :)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Does not get any better than that!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.