Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Off Set Smoker

Options
would you buy this as a starter? I don't know a thing about using one but would love to learn! Any suggestions? 
Brandon, MS

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Picture did not attach 
    Brandon, MS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    They are actually a "decent" starter rig. Much better than the ECB's (El Cheapo Brinkmans) that are sold in all the box stores. Note the 3/16 metal thickness, not bad but not great either. For comparison, Most full size offsets has a metal thickness of at least 1/4. More often than not, even heavier. Again, these are good starter rigs to see if you will enjoy stick burning. I would purchase it over one of the ECB's for sure.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    Thanks Scottie! They actually have one that is 1/4" for 999.00. Would it be worth paying double for? 
    Brandon, MS
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    @sgh - what does the metal thickness provide?  Longevity or does it help with heat?  I almost ordered a Klose 20x36 backyard model but went with the Egg.  Just curious
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SGH
    edited April 2015
    Options
    4Runner said:
    @sgh - what does the metal thickness provide?  Longevity or does it help with heat?  
    Both my friend. The thicker it is, the longer it will last and the better that it will hold heat. Also up to point, it's easier to "even out" and "hold" a bigger thicker mass at a given temp.  Granted it takes a tad longer to get it up to a given temp, but once it's there it's certainy easier to maintain it without fighting it. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2015
    Options
    4Runner said:
    @sgh - what does the metal thickness provide?  Longevity or does it help with heat?  I almost ordered a Klose 20x36 backyard model but went with the Egg.  Just curious
    Both but heat is the main factor.  A thicker wall will soak up the heat, which will help it recover faster and be less affected by the elements.  The thickness means it will take longer to rust through, but so will proper care (i.e. Clean out the ash and keep it dry).
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options

Thanks Scottie! They actually have one that is 1/4" for 999.00. Would it be worth paying double for? 
    Old Country is the model is Aaron used in his videos.  If you seal it...it will perform much better.  Decent starter offset!
  • SGH
    Options
    Always remember that thinner metal is influenced by the outside ambient conditions much more than thicker metal. It reponds much faster to wind and cold. This is not a good thing on a smoker. Think of it in terms of a thin Weber kettle versus the thick ceramic walls of the a BGE.

Status- Standing by.

• 4Runner
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the info. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • SGH
    Options
    If it were me, yes I would pay the little extra and go with the 1/4. Then you will have a pretty sound and functional unit. Spend a little extra now and save it back in the long run.

Status- Standing by.

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    Awesome! Yes, thanks to both for the info. 

Now ow for the rookie question.....how do you light the wood? Do you lay it on a bed of lump to get it started? Don't laugh  :) again, I have never even tried cooking with one of these but going to give it a shot! 
    Brandon, MS
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    cazzy said:

Old Country is the model is Aaron used in his videos.  If you seal it...it will perform much better.  Decent starter offset!
    What do you mean by " sealing it"? 
    Brandon, MS
  • cazzy
    Options
    Awesome! Yes, thanks to both for the info. 

Now ow for the rookie question.....how do you light the wood? Do you lay it on a bed of lump to get it started? Don't laugh  :) again, I have never even tried cooking with one of these but going to give it a shot! 
    Google is your friend.  Get the new Aaron Franklin book.  The book, combined with the offset, will make you the next big thing in BBQ or they will pay you $100,000.  Read that somewhere...
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Just got the book and I'm on page 10 so good to know that I will learn from that. Thanks 
    Brandon, MS
  • cazzy
    Options
    Just got the book and I'm on page 10 so good to know that I will learn from that. Thanks 
    Oh yeah...everything you need to know about running a fire is in there.  

That also explains your offset itch.  I have it bad...won't be long.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I had one like that but was an Oklahoma Joe model - same design, thickness, price.  I never did know what I was doing with it and got rid if it when it rusted through from me NOT cleaning out the ash tray - Cazzy's comment is spot on.

The only helpful comments I have would be1) if you're going to jump your budget to $1k, see what else is out there for that price point, 2) I had quite a few embers jump out of the firebox, be thoughtful where you put this so you don't burn something down, that would be devastating.
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Oh yeah...everything you need to know about running a fire is in there.  

That also explains your offset itch.  I have it bad...won't be long.
    I think my itch also comes from the fact that I have mastered the egg and now I want a new challenge. Before getting the egg I could not cook anything on a gas grill now I feel like I'm " king of the Q" LOL! at least in my world. :-) anyway, I want to try something different. 

Does cooking on a off set make food any better or is it just another way to cook? Either way I'm doing it!! 
    Brandon, MS
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    I'm not sure off set makes the food any different. I also got the itch last year and had someone build a smoker for me and a buddy. We figured we would do a few cooks here and there to recover the cost. To date we have not made a single penny to pay us back. But we have cooked some good stuff on it.  I in the last picture I showed up to the firehouse for an event we were having and our friend who built it was "watching the meat cook". 
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    edited April 2015
    Options
     Also if you look closely in the top right side of the pic is the big brother to ours. It belongs to the firehouse and it is a 500 gallon propane tank smoker. We learned on that and moved to ours which is smaller and uses way less fuel. 
  • 4Runner
    Options
    Awesome.  
  • SamQuick
    SamQuick Posts: 1
    Options
    If you are going to put $1000 into a smoker, put a little more with it and get a Lang.  That's what I was going to get when I got my egg.  I got the egg because it is more versatile.  I'd have gotten both if I wanted to spend 3k.
    LBGE - Canton, Ga
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    The Lang is on my radar as well. I'd rather build my own though if time allows. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Going to check out the Lang! Thank u
    Brandon, MS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I wouldn't spend twice the price for the thicker steel. You can buy a welders blanket for $40 and drape that over it on cold breezy days to lessen the energy loss due to cold/wind.

After you learn on the $500 dollar one and if you find that you really enjoy using a stick burner offset you can always sell the cheaper one and upgrade to something larger or more stout.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Got a company that's just getting off the ground here in San Diego county named Jen-U-Wine Jerry that I'm watching.  I really like what they are doing. They have combined a "stick burner" with a pellet fired unit.
    Went down to their warehouse the other day but they were closed (and their website is 1 page (texted the CEO and she said that it's in development and they put that up just to hold the place).
    The do have a couple of you tube videos up though, and it really sounds like an interesting unit. http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCefxVzBCVBF4TNsKQZvoLZA

I'll know more (like price) when I get to check it out
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I was checking this one out http://m.basspro.com/Horizon-Smoke-16-Classic-Backyard-Smoker/product/10202039/?utm_referrer=direct/not provided or Old country thicker pits. Would love a Shirley pit someday.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm
    holding out til @sgh retires and starts making smokers. I wanna be one of his first customers. 

Little Rock, AR

• UncleFred
    Options
    UncleFred said:

I'll know more (like price) when I get to check it out
    Well we went down and met Jerry and his wife. Really great people, both of them, and very enthusiastic about their product!!  He fired up and demonstrated both units and answered all questions we had.  I took pictures and examined both units thoroughly.  We were impressed, and would love to have either one.  ...but
    I think their price point, even with the current discount (see flyer), is about $1500 too high on each.  (yes? no? comment?)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Can't really comment on the price of the above rigs but suspect there is a Southern California bias in there somewhere.  But I could be wrong :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • UncleFred
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Can't really comment on the price of the above rigs but suspect there is a Southern California bias in there somewhere.  But I could be wrong :peace: 
    Naw... you're probably right on.  EVERYTHING costs more in California but in a weird sorta way it all evens out because we don't pay for a lot of stuff the rest of the country does (winter clothes, tires, heat among them)