Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BASQUES SUGAR MAPLE LUMP CHARCOAL

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
Anybody use 
BASQUES SUGAR MAPLE LUMP CHARCOAL?

I'm getting down to my last few bags of Ozark Oak and thought no biggie, I'll place an order with FireCraft for some Rockwood...Well, I guess Rockwood is on back order because of the OO ordeal. I found this out a day after placing my order via email from FireCraft. My immediate panicking thoughts were crap, I'm gonna have to use Royal Oak. This cannot be...

I called FireCraft the next day and told him this isn't going to work for me due to the fact I'm gonna need lump soon and the reason I order lump from FireCraft is the free shipping. Dude was cool and told me I could just add or change my order so they can get me something they have in stock. Anyway, I ordered this stuff and a bag of The Good One to get me over until they can ship me Rockwood. 

Also, any thoughts on The Good One?

Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• stemc33
    Options
    Just bumping to see if any of our Canadian friends have experience with this stuff. I didn't see it on the @nakedwhiz site. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    @stemc33
    There's some talk about Basques in this thread.  Never seen it personally.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1179747/for-the-canucks-bogo-charcoal#latest
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I like an all I use is Royal Oak, never understood the bad rap.....occasional bad bags with a bit of crush, but it's plentiful year round where I am..
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Basques is very good. Sugar maple hardwood, made in Quebec. Main source for us left coasters is Lowe's. They have a sale right now, about $14CDN for 8Kg bag. 
    It is not as good, IMO as WGWW, but still a very neutral cook. 

EDIT - $14CDN=$11US - pretty good buy. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    We have a Lowes grand opening here tomorrow, really hoping they have some sort of lump to try.  Very slim pickings here now!

The Mrs is hoping I'm home in time to take her to meet her boyfriend - Brian Baumler, he's making an appearance at the opening.  I said only if he brings his wife. :fearful: 
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    This is what I use.  It is not as good as Maple Leaf but it is a close second.   Pretty good stuff.

Options
    My comment wad about Basques'... I have no experience with the other one that you mentioned. 

Options
    Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to trying it until my Rockwood arrives. My luck, if I like then FireCraft will quit selling it. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    Good lump.  Costco in Vaughan ON usually stocks skids each spring for about 10 bucks a bag.  Oh look it's spring!  Gotta go.....@noregard Lowe's here usually stocks up with Royal Oak

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    stemc33 said:

Well, I guess Rockwood is on back order because of the OO ordeal.

Yup, but the truck will be there on Monday, and then again on Wednesday.

• stemc33
    Options
    Tried the Basques Sugar Maple Charcoal for my last two cooks. Too early to tell but it seems to be pretty good. When I opened the bag it had a weird smell, don't really know how to explain it. The smell and smoke cleared quickly once lit. This is the lump I used to cook my calzones and I didn't notice a smoky taste and no complaints from my wife either. The egg came up to temp rather quickly, but this could've been that I got lucky with perfect airflow or something. Seemed to burn clean with little ash. Noticed some sparking last night, but again, this could've of been something not related to the lump.

For those looking for a replacement when your supply of Ozark Oak is depleted, this might be worth a try. I only ordered one bag from FireCraft and now have lots of Rockwood to burn through, but will order more with my next fireCraft order. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bosco0633
    bosco0633 Posts: 383
    Options
    I went through 15 bags of it this year after purchasing it at Costco for 12.67 for 17.6 lbs.  it is there white s green bag.  

I I did not like it and will not purchase again.  

The he pieces are overall small with lots of dust. It's sparky and I know the smell that you speak of.  It does burn dirty compared to what I am use to.  

I I was glad to see it finally go.  Just scored a great deal on maple leaf lump.  I have always liked this brand.  

I I also love royal oak red from the USA.  I drive over and get a few bags each time that we go.  

• stemc33
    Options
    bosco0633 said:
    I went through 15 bags of it this year after purchasing it at Costco for 12.67 for 17.6 lbs.  it is there white s green bag.  

I I did not like it and will not purchase again.  

The he pieces are overall small with lots of dust. It's sparky and I know the smell that you speak of.  It does burn dirty compared to what I am use to.  

I I was glad to see it finally go.  Just scored a great deal on maple leaf lump.  I have always liked this brand.  

I I also love royal oak red from the USA.  I drive over and get a few bags each time that we go.  

The bag I have is White/Red. The pieces are medium to small and uniform(not tiny mixed with large). If I continue to have lots of sparks(firework sparks) I will probaby not reorder. It's hard for me to evaluate a lump from just two cooks. I have limited experience with different brands of lump. For the last year I used Ozark Oak and some Rockwood. I do know Cowboy Lump is the one lump I will not use again. I'd load the egg up with Kingsford Briquetts before using that stuff.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming