Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone baked any bread in the big green egg?
I'm looking for a brick bread oven, a very small one. I only want to make one loaf at the time. So the big green egg looks like a good choice. I know it is very important to contain a humid environment in the oven to bake bread, does the big green egg support this?
Alpha

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Alpha,
    The Egg will make some of the best bread you have ever tried.[p]I've cooked on both commercial and home brick ovens and the Egg keeps up with or surpasses all that I've cooked on. If you're not sure about an egg or a brick oven, just try and smoke a butt in that brick oven or sear a steak at 700°.[p]Can't really beat an Egg for the quality and versatility.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Alpha,
    If you are lucky, Old Dave will post about baking bread!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Bobby-Q,
    thank you for your replay. How long do you need to heat the Egg. Some home brick ovens need to be heated for over 1 1/2 hours. But the Big Green Egg flayer I got in the store says reaches temp. in 10 minutes. So I just wonder if this is also true for bread.
    Alpha

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    BreadontheRidge.jpg
    <p />Alpha,
    You can bake up a storm of bread on the egg.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Alpha,
    well... that 'ten minute' ain't quite right, but there's no hurry anyway. [p]if you are baking your own bread, you are probably the type to take it as it comes.[p]you will have a fire going good in ten minutes, but after dialing in the temp, you'll probably find it's more like 20 before you feel like the fire and temp are stable, and the fire is burning nice and clean.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • egret,
    Aw.... nice view of your yard.....
    Bread looks great coming off the eggs!

• Alpha,[p]Myself, along with several folks on the forum do bake bread on the BGE cookers. I have baked on both the large and small and would recommend the large Egg. The Egg, burning lump charcoal vs a wood burning oven using all wood are pretty close in a moist environment but then again, you can make it moist by several different methods. I have never had to add any moisture as I am satisfied with my bread but I think some on the forum do add more moisture. I will include a link out of the archives with some information with pictures.[p]Dave

[ul][li]Bread[/ul]
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Alpha,[p]As the others have stated, the BGE does a great job as a "brick oven". I'd go for the largest grid size that the budget allows - even for one loaf. Even think about the XL BGE ...[p]Creating the right baking environment in the BGE is important. I favor baking sourdough breads and pay a bunch of attention to the crust formation. For many of the breads I shoot for that deep reddish-brown crust - steam early in the bake is critical! With time and experience one can get there.[p]I've noodled for years on whether to build a brick oven, but I keep coming back to the BGE for a variety of reasons including:
    - it can pretty much cook anything that requires heat
    - it is outdoors, which helps out when you want to bake bread during the hot summer months
    - it is mobile, so when one moves, you can take it with you instead of leaving it behind as you would a brick oven.[p]There's lots of bread bakers that are active on the forum, so you have available a wealth of experience to tap. Hell, even if you built a brick oven you could still tap these resources...[p]Hope this helps.[p]Puj

• Alpha, I realize that I'm late to this party, but a couple of years ago I met a guy that posts on this site by the name of newsense. He was great at baking bread in the egg. You might want to contact him.http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/forumProfiles.htm