Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Raised Bed Gardens (pics)

Options
2»

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    @SGH looking good! What kind of tomato plants are those?
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    heres a low budget way to grow potatoes, had polish neighbors that used to do this and have enough potatoes for a year. they would simply tip the tower over years end and pick up the potatoes
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Grow-Potatoes-In-Tires/step2/tater-tire/

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SGH said:
    fence0407 said:
    @SGH I hear ya on the flooding! I really like the way you made your beds. After looking at what you've done, I may consider putting down that mulch instead of pinestraw. I like the way it looks. Thanks for sharing!
    For the record, the pine straw works better. The mulch is a little more appealing to the eye, but it requires constant up keep. Just thought I would share. 
    Wish I was allowed to use pine straw. IT would look perfect around my Azaleas.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    One is a Big Boy and the other is a Box Car Willie. I had a Heinz as well. It must have blew out of the truck on the ride home. Going to go get a few more Sunday.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Wish I was allowed to use pine straw. IT would look perfect around my Azaleas.
    Local ordinance or the wife won't allow it?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    SGH said:
    fence0407 said:
    One is a Big Boy and the other is a Box Car Willie. I had a Heinz as well. It must have blew out of the truck on the ride home. Going to go get a few more Sunday.
    last year was my first with a heinz plant, that plant really pumps out tomatoes once it gets started
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    love that potato-tire stack @fishlessman, thanks for the idea, I'm definitely trying this.
  • SGH
    Options
    last year was my first with a heinz plant, that plant really pumps out tomatoes once it gets started
    How is the taste? Should I get them or stick with the Boxcars?

Status- Standing by.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options

Legume said:
    love that potato-tire stack @fishlessman, thanks for the idea, I'm definitely trying this.
    It really is a great idea. I bet you get a ton of potatoes that way.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    Options
    havent grown a boxcar yet, thought the heinz was good nice juicy sweetness, not a big tomato but that one plant pushed out 40 to 50 tomatoes. i went with 6 varieties last year, will probably plant heinz, big boy, and jetstar this year and leave the heirlooms alone
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    @Legume it sounds like you got a nice collection of veggies and herbs. Share some pics when you get a chance.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Great thread, and very Timely!
    Until last summer, I had the blackest thumb in the intermountain west; my potted herbs would be dead within 3 weeks, and the tomatoes I planted in a 2' x 2' plot in my lawn (watered by auto sprinklers every morning) lived about as long, never grew at all, and produced no blossoms, much less fruit.   :s
    Last summer I bought a few pre-potted plants, mostly herbs but a couple flowers too.  This time I weighed the pots when I got them, and decided to water them to that weight every time.  Turns out, I had been severely under-watering everything, and I finally kept most of the herbs alive all summer and through the fall!  wo0t!!  
    Tomorrow the Weber Basin Conservation folks are giving a class on container gardening, I'll be attending with all the other little old ladies.   :)  I want to fine-tune this.
    I'm also considering xeriscaping my backyard (losing the grass and planting native plants/landscaping, natural water levels only) but can't afford it this spring, maybe next year.  utard is threatening water restrictions a la California, and I'm tired of mowing anyway.  This new setup will include a few raised gardens also, and I'd learn how to can.  Along with lower and lower reservoir levels, CA is also running out of ground water, and over half the US's fruits and veggies come from the central valley (ie, veggie prices could easily triple, just as brisket has, in the next year or two).
    Time to become more self-sufficient.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I built mine 3 years ago with cedar. Just cleaned out what was left from last year. Going to add more compost and plant about 10 tomato plants and some peppers. Google "Mel's Mix" it's perfect for raised beds. I haven't read the entire thread yet so it may have been mentioned. 

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Both our beds are looking good so far.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Here's mine I built as a result of another thread. 5x8 and it took 65 bags of compost, top soil, mushroom compost and Black Cow to fill her up.  Installed .9gph drip irrigation and removable insect screening frame. Squared off the bed using 30lb fishing line. It's been a monsoon for the past few days so maybe they'll be a break in the rain this weekend long enough to plant.