Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scalloped Potato Gratin Recipe please?

Options
Cooking some dry age rib-eye's for the in-laws tomorrow night.  Scalloped potatoes as a side dish. There are certainly plenty of recipes on the web, but this forum is my trusted source. Anyone care to share a favorite recipe? PM me if an e-mail address is preferred. Thanks!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    This is a kick butt recipe that we love! I just made it again at Easter!

ULTIMATE SCALLOPED POTATOES

Source: The Best of the Taste of Home – the first 10 years – published in 2004

1 tea butter softened

1 cup whipping cream

1/3 cup milk (fraction symbol not working – that’s one third of a cup)

1 tea salt

½ tea pepper

2 large garlic cloves, crushed

6 medium red potatoes

1 cup (4 oz) shredded Swiss cheese

¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Grease shallow 1.5 qt baking dish with the butter – set aside.

In a sauce pan combine cream, milk, salt, pepper and garlic. Cook just until bubbles begin to form around sides of pan. Remove from the heat; cool for 10 minutes.

Peel and thinly slice the potatoes; pat them dry with paper towels. Layer half of the potatoes in the prepared dish ( I overlap them by one half and in tight rows). Pour and cover well with half of the cream mixture and then spread half of the cheeses. Repeat this layer process. Bake uncovered, for 350 for 55 to 65 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Yield is 6 servings.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This was done in the oven but works on BGE also.

Potatoes, Au Gratin, Pioneer Woman's Perfect Potatoes Au Gratin, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    5 Whole Russet Potatoes, Scrubbed Clean, Sliced thin 2 mm
    1 Large Onion, Sliced Thin, 2mm
    1/2 Lb Bacon
    2 Tbs Butter, Softened
    1 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
    1/2 cup Whole Milk
    2 Tbs Flour
    4 Cloves Garlic, Fnely Minced (1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
    1 tsp Salt Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
    1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Freshly Grated (I used mild)

PROCEDURE:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Smear softened butter all over the bottom of a baking dish. Slice potatoes, then cut slices into halfs. In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over the potatoes. Repeat this two more times, ending with the cream mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and really bubbling. Add grated cheese to the top of the potatoes and bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.

2. Above is the recipes I started with, but used a 11" cast iron pan to take the bacon and cut into little piece and then cook until crispy. Removed with slotted spoon and left the grease on the bottom. Started with a layer of potatoes, added some onions sliced and a third of the bacon. Did this for the next 2 layers and then went with original recipe.

Notes:

1. They probably aren't good for you, but they are really really good.

Recipe Type: Side Dish, Vegetarian

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/02/09*

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Thanks very much!!!!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Whatever you use, stand the sliced taters up like roof tiles - big difference in the way they cook, IMO. This is in an 8" CI before the au gratin is added. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    thanks! I like the use of the CI.. Just got a Griswold that needs to feel like part of the family.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN