Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Talking Up Houston Eggfest

Options

We had the nicest visit today with Rick, Chris and Troy of Ace Hardware here at the Chicken Ranch.  Some of you met Troy and Chris in Athens last week.  Rick is their boss and owner of the Ace Hardware Stores.

They are thinking about having an Eggfest in our area and wanted to try to understand some of the factors that go into making an Eggfest happen.  They are already in touch with Chris Randall at Paragon Distributing and he's all for having one.

What most impressed us is they asked what they could do to please us Cooks.  They suggested aprons, patches (like Athens), and banners for our tents but I told them most of us have our own special aprons or shirts, and to save their money. But they were receptive to other ideas.

These guys are used to doing things in a big way and want to do it right.  They are very insistent that any profits go to Texas Children’s Hospital.  We're for that.  It's a great place that can certainly use the money.  They asked if we would mind if a money jar could be put on each table for contributions designated for the Hospital.  Taking it one step further, the Cook Team with the most contributions in the money jar would win a prize.  They were thinking of a Mini Max or a Yeti cooler.  For that kind of prize we can sure talk a lot longer and louder to the Tasters.

We gave them a few ideas but would like to toss it out to you all for your input.  We're all so used to working with small budgets and our own money, it's nice to hear [i]"Let's do something nice for the Cooks."[/i]  Both the Athens Eggfest and Texas Eggfest have been doing a good job of it and we really appreciate it. 

After all these years, things are really looking up for us Cooks.  Surely it's because we're knowledgeable about the Egg, experienced in cooking on it, enthusiastic about it and absolutely willing to share all of that with everyone who is willing to attend an Eggfest.

So far we have suggested:

2 tables with leg extenders (prep and serve)
Tent
Platesetters available,  if needed
Utensil wash area with soap and hot water
Trash container close to each cook team
Serving products:  plates, napkins, small serving cups, forks, knives, spoons, paper towels, aluminum foil
A grocery gift card to help buy provisions
Water and ice

They are already in tune with the idea of providing us with a catered Meet and Greet and After-Party.  In fact they asked if after we would like to have a band at the After-Party.   In other words, would you still have the energy to party and dance after the Eggfest and After-Party?  I know some of you can, and will, band or not, and probably all night.

We also know you all have some ideas of what you would like to see done, so let us know what we could add to the list. 

Like I said, this is still in the “thinking” stage but it sure sounds like fun.  I also told them to try to do it in the Fall of the year because Spring is already booked pretty tight, and we don’t do HOT in Houston 

Before you ask, yes, they definitely got the full Chicken Ranch story and treatment.  They also got the Coop Tour, met the 'Girls' and taste-tested some practice treats we may be serving at the Texas Eggfest.  And yes, they each got a [i]"I've Been To The Coop"[/i] token.

Spring Chicken and Spring Hen
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Yea, what Leroy said...
    Really can't top your ideas boss.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Houston is a lot closer to me than Salado.  I'd go.  Sounds pretty fancy with the catered party.  As long as I can bring my own drinks I'm good.
    Options

This sounds like a fantastic idea! And quite fancy too :)

Having it in the fall sounds great, because you're right about the spring being busy. If you need extra bodies, I would love to help.

We would have to invite @henapple though... otherwise I won't have any beer to drink.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Sounds like a great plan. You can count us in.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    The eggfest I attended has a band that plays during the fest. The band is great and overall nice people.  The issue is that it's hard to communicate with tasters and other cooks if your set up near the band.  I won't ever mention anything to the business about the issue (not my style) but I think it takes away from people who are there to learn about the egg.  I'd suggest to hold off on the band itself until after the fest.  It sounds like that might be the way already but if it's a suggestion during the fest I'd maybe speak up.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    This sounds great!  It would be fantastic to have another fest in Texas, especially in the "off season".  Thanks for all your input, Leroy and Judy, for helping these willing souls try to put together a great fest!  
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options

I appreciate your comments so far.  We're also getting some good replies on Facebook and GreenEggers forum.  I'm betting this thing will be for real within a few weeks, and maybe even have a date and place to start preparing for.  All you Houston area Eggheads, please step up and give us your thoughts. 

Spring "It's A Fine Year For A Houston Eggfest" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    @Spring_Chicken:  A thought I had was that some cooks might be uncomfortable having a jar on their tables for money to be put into.  What if tokens/tickets were sold as tasters came in, maybe for a dollar a piece, then they could drop tokens into the jars of the cooks with the food they especially enjoyed?  Then, tokens/tickets could be counted for prizes.  Just my two cents.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    @Spring_Chicken:  A thought I had was that some cooks might be uncomfortable having a jar on their tables for money to be put into.  What if tokens/tickets were sold as tasters came in, maybe for a dollar a piece, then they could drop tokens into the jars of the cooks with the food they especially enjoyed?  Then, tokens/tickets could be counted for prizes.  Just my two cents.
    I couldn't agree more.  Could you raffle off tickets for tasters?  You might make more money for charity that way.  

If that's not possible I would take the suggestion above and maybe have a jar/box that's non-transparent for each table. I think most eggheads show up because they enjoy egging and teaching others.  Now this kind of takes away as a teaching tool and now becomes a competition.  Just my personal opinion though....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited April 2015
    Options
    EggObsessed said:
    while i have never cooked at one i have attended several and with that comes my .02.  i would suggest a template provided to the cooks via ms word, google docs etc.  with enough space on it for the recipe and a tearaway portion with the cooks name and recipe on it that could be dropped in a jar near the scoring table or organizers to be counted.  this serves two fold.  the attendees have something to takeaway (recipe) and the cooks can have their work justified by being entered to win.  one of my biggest frustrations from the eggfests i have been to was not having the recipe to leave with for something i really enjoyed. 

if the the planets lined up i would try to get there from san antonio when this happens!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm all in Leroy. TFJ and I are glad to help in any way. All the suggestions above are good. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I don't know if I can survive a second eggfest close to home. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm in. The more fest in Texas the better. It'll be nice, I have family in the woodlands. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sounds good. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gdfein
    Gdfein Posts: 60
    Options
    Spring,

Two thumbs up from me!  If work travel permits I'll be there!
    BGE XL Woodlands, TX (Originally from Buffalo, NY but I got here as fast as I could)
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I don't think a band is a good idea. I say save the money. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    All ideas tossed out are good and doable.  My only concern is scheduling a fall fest that might interfere with or be to close to the Jefferson Fest and draw away some cooks.   A lot of us have committed to help the Jefferson fest become a premier fest.

Summer in Houston is out and spring is already pretty crowded with very good fest.  
    What about a winter fest to kickoff the Eggfest season?  Winter in Houston is mostly mild (and not humid!).

If we could get a Hotel to help sponsor/host the event, i.e. become the host hotel for both the event (maybe using their parking lot for the event), pricing the room at a discount and then hosting the after party that would be great.  It would guarantee both Friday and Saturday night guest for the hotel.  (Just look what we have done to Athens hotel business).

I have another concern of scheduling too many fest too close together.   Let's face it, no matter the grocery sponsor, or the money cooks receive to help defray food costs, there is always out of pocket food dollars that cooks absorb. 

Also if we have some repair classes I vote that RRP comes down and do a show and tell on gasket replacement.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx