Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Raised Bed Gardens (pics)

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,237
I was finally able to get my raised beds filled with an assortment of veggies and herbs. I still need to plant okra and corn, but other than that I'm set for this summer. The small plants you see in the very corner in the ground are blueberry bushes that will bear fruit in the next year or two. Share some of your garden pics/stories.

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    So how much usable product does something like this create?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • fence0407
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Good question haha. It'll be enough for the two of us I think. I imagine I'll be giving away stuff too. It's my first try at something this big so we'll see.
    Cumming, GA  

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm building mine this weekend.  Due to issues I have with my back, I'm constructing waist high beds I saw on the net.  I will end up with 36 sq ft of bed.  Not much, but I'm not much of a gardener either.
    Flint, Michigan
  • fence0407
    Options
    I'm building mine this weekend.  Due to issues I have with my back, I'm constructing waist high beds I saw on the net.  I will end up with 36 sq ft of bed.  Not much, but I'm not much of a gardener either.
    I've seen pictures of those waist high beds. That'll be great for your back. Sometimes I wish I had built mine a little higher off the ground. 
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    looks good, the blueberries like pineneedles mulched around them and that also helps keep their feet wetter, they like that.

cazzy, i planted two 42 inch circular raised beds last year, 3 tomatoes in each plus 8 heads purple cabage in each and a thai pepper in each. i picked maybe 150 tomatoes not counting what my neighbors raided during the week and they hit  it pretty hard. i could pick a head of cabbage for slaw every weekend for 2 months and then had to pick the rest. i should have bought some early growing tomato plants to help space it out. the tomatoes really liked the raised bed, i have a pretty short grow season and painting the exterior black helped extend the season keeping the soil warm. watered just once a week
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice looking stuff!  I need to remember to post mine soon.  I got mine planted last Sunday.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @fishlessman - I need to get some more pinestraw and fill in the area surrounding the beds. My mom is in charge of 30+ raised beds at her elementary school and they always have to give stuff away. I imagine my two (4x8) beds will produce more than enough stuff.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    Nice looking stuff!  I need to remember to post mine soon.  I got mine planted last Sunday.  
    Thanks Matt! Would love to see what you have going.
    Cumming, GA  

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Depends on how well you select plants that match your climate.  For instance, here in Texas you've got to start your tomato plants early and get the blooms going because once the summer heat and humidity hits the production basically drops to none.  But about that time the pepper plants really kick into production.

This year I planted tomatoes, squash, zucchini, onions and peppers in my 4x8 raised bed.  I suspect I"ll be giving away squash, zucchini and peppers based on past production.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • fence0407
    Options
    jimithing said:
    cazzy said:
    Depends on how well you select plants that match your climate.  For instance, here in Texas you've got to start your tomato plants early and get the blooms going because once the summer heat and humidity hits the production basically drops to none.  But about that time the pepper plants really kick into production.

This year I planted tomatoes, squash, zucchini, onions and peppers in my 4x8 raised bed.  I suspect I"ll be giving away squash, zucchini and peppers based on past production.
    Agreed - sounds like you've got it down now. I see you are in Plano - I grew up there. 
    Cumming, GA  

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    I garden on a much larger scale and don't have any pictures to share at this point, but my plot is looking good so far:  Peas are growing nicely, potatoes emerged earlier this week, radishes will start plumping soon, onion sets are making nice "green onions", onion plants are taking hold for bigger onions to be used nearly year round. In the next week or so, I'll set out the tomato plants (10) and peppers (6). That's where I am now, more to come.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • cazzy
    Options
    looks good, the blueberries like pineneedles mulched around them and that also helps keep their feet wetter, they like that.

cazzy, i planted two 42 inch circular raised beds last year, 3 tomatoes in each plus 8 heads purple cabage in each and a thai pepper in each. i picked maybe 150 tomatoes not counting what my neighbors raided during the week and they hit  it pretty hard. i could pick a head of cabbage for slaw every weekend for 2 months and then had to pick the rest. i should have bought some early growing tomato plants to help space it out. the tomatoes really liked the raised bed, i have a pretty short grow season and painting the exterior black helped extend the season keeping the soil warm. watered just once a week
    Raided?  Were you on vacay or something and told them to go pick?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    In Mid Michigan it's usually advisable to plant on or after Mother's Day.  I'm gonna cheat and go a bit early.
    Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    Options
    That's really cool @jimithing and @fishlessman I really need to do something like this.  Any recommendations on walk through?  Online or books?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    no pics on me right now, but we have two raised beds that are 2x2x6 galvanized tanks.  we have on drip and they get lots of sun.  we crowd them, currently have at least 8 tomatoes (2 are sm/med varieties like early girl and the rest are types of cherry, pear and grape tomatoes).  we put in a couple of squashes, eggplant and some pickling cukes as well.  I think a pepper or two.  we also fill in with herbs like basil, cilantro, oregano and a mock tarragon that grows well in the Texas climate.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I forgot to say @cazzy that when the tomato plants are pumping out tomatoes, we can pick a large bowl of them every day - we give lots of them away
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I planted these last weekend. Sadly it has flooded day and night every since.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fence0407
    Options
    @SGH I hear ya on the flooding! I really like the way you made your beds. After looking at what you've done, I may consider putting down that mulch instead of pinestraw. I like the way it looks. Thanks for sharing!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    @Legume it sounds like you got a nice collection of veggies and herbs. Share some pics when you get a chance.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options

itsmce said:
    I garden on a much larger scale and don't have any pictures to share at this point, but my plot is looking good so far:  Peas are growing nicely, potatoes emerged earlier this week, radishes will start plumping soon, onion sets are making nice "green onions", onion plants are taking hold for bigger onions to be used nearly year round. In the next week or so, I'll set out the tomato plants (10) and peppers (6). That's where I am now, more to come.
    Go big, or go home! That's awesome. I've also got some red potatoes going in my raised beds. 
    Cumming, GA  

• SGH
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    @SGH I hear ya on the flooding! I really like the way you made your beds. After looking at what you've done, I may consider putting down that mulch instead of pinestraw. I like the way it looks. Thanks for sharing!
    For the record, the pine straw works better. The mulch is a little more appealing to the eye, but it requires constant up keep. Just thought I would share. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fence0407
    Options
    SGH said:
    fence0407 said:
    For the record, the pine straw works better. The mulch is a little more appealing to the eye, but it requires constant up keep. Just thought I would share. 
    Thank you sir. Might come down to $$.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    edited April 2015
    Options

cazzy said:
    That's really cool @jimithing and @fishlessman I really need to do something like this.  Any recommendations on walk through?  Online or books?
    @cazzy - I used this as a guideline for my beds. Very sturdy.

EDIT - I used flattened cardboard boxes to line the bottoms of my beds instead of the hardware cloth they recommend.

http://www.sunset.com/garden/perfect-raised-bed
    Cumming, GA  

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    @fence0407: I will be interested to hear how your potatoes do in the bed.  There's not much better than a true "new" potato...5 minutes from garden to stove.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • fence0407
    Options
    @itsmce - I couldn't agree more! My mom has had potatoes in her raised beds each year and they turn out just fine. This is my first pass at it, so hopefully I get the same results.
    Cumming, GA  

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Just sowed my cool veggie seeds this past weekend. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • SGH
    Options
    fence0407 said:
     Might come down to $$.
    Unfortunately, the above is usually what determines everything that we do.  

Status- Standing by.

• fence0407
    Options
    SGH said:
    fence0407 said:
     Might come down to $$.
    Unfortunately, the above is usually what determines everything that we do.  
    Agreed - my money tree I planted a few years ago has yet to provide anything. 
    Cumming, GA  

• SGH
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Agreed - my money tree I planted a few years ago has yet to provide anything. 
    I finally gave up on mine and cut up into wood for smoking on unit #6. It never produced a single dollar and it sucked as a smoking wood as well  ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.