Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

medium vs max

2»

Comments

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    I have both and I think it's the perfect set up. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    henapple said:
    No pot lifter needed 

See what the PBR will do to you - I remember the baby fat when you were on the makin' bacon circuit.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Uncle Apple, for sheer mobility the MM wins. It's shorter and lighter than the medium thus making it easier to handle and transport. Especially for one person. With that said, for portability you already have the mini which is the easiest of the eggs to pick up and transport. Especially if it's a one man job. If I were choosing between the MM and the medium for home use, I would go with the medium for the extra lump space. I had the opportunity to cook on Nolas medium at the crawfish festival a few weeks back. It was basically just like running my large. No learning curve at all. At the end of the day, all the eggs are a pain in the arse to move compared to other alternatives both due to their weight and being made of ceramic. If you are just wanting a new egg, then I would keep using the mini as my mobile rig and get the medium for home use. If you went that route, you would have the option of transporting the medium in the event you knew that the mini was going to be to small for the particular occasion. On a final note, if you were a brute like myself, the size and weight would be no concern or consequence to you ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What @SGH said.  I love my medium, I just put a high-Q in it last week, and I think the fire grate on those is an Achilles heel for hot fires on recycled lump.  If you want portability, I highly recommend a Kamado Joe Jr.  They're around 75 pounds and about the same capacity of a medium.  And they're cheap, so if you get drunk on PBR and break it, less liability on the wallet.  Plus they piss off the righteous brand-name mongers on this forum.  That, my friend, is priceless.
    edited April 2015
    Medium.  I love that egg.  For travel, I dont take eggs (I have three of these):

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1211001-Jumbo-Charcoal-18-Inch/dp/B0098HR0RC/

They are great grills, have the grills space of a Large Egg, dont shatter when dropped, and if you buy them at Target on clearance at Halloween time, they are only 29 bucks.
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    And the large pizza stone works great in the medium =)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    MM
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited April 2015
    How much less lump do you guys find the Medium takes than the Large?

It takes me ~2 - 2.5 lbs of lump to get my "Large" (uhhhh..KJ Classic) up to 4-500, which ain't worth it unless I really need the grid space.

I've considered selling it to a neighbor who's interested and replacing with a MBGE, primarily because the large is in 99% of all cases way more than I need..so I wind up cooking "most" things on my Mini - which is a PITA due to the 10' grid (although it does come up to temp blazingly fast!)

I had wanted a MM but unfortunately already have one of Tim's SS tables that was custom built for the Mini + KJ, so no easy way to swap "eggs" at this point..although I COULD take out the KJ and put a MBGE in it's place without it being too hokey..

Thx..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Having a MBGE and a MM and getting rid of my XL I find myself cooking way more on the MM these days. I usually only use the MBGE to do ribs and pork butt although I haven't tried it on my MM yet. Just depends on the size of what I'm cooking. IMO the MBGE is the perfect size for a family of 3-4 or maybe even 5. 

I dont miss that XL either. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    The Mini Max is 63# Small 80#

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Jupiter Jim where are you getting the figures 're: weight?  I'd say the MM with all of the above is closure to 70#-73#  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I just got a high que for my small and now it's a machine! 

XLBGE 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I just got a high que 
    This is one of the best improvements that you can make to any egg. They should come factory installed. I put one in my large and mini and the improvement is dramatic. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351

Big Green Egg Life Style magazine v4.14 page 36 gives data for xxl - mini. Got it at Hiawassee Hardware. They have demo Mini Max for the Georgia Mountain Eggfest too.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

Still hard to believe the Small is 20 pounds heavier than the Mini Max for only being a couple inches shorter in the base.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @henapple, I wish you would have been selling your mini about 2 months ago when I was looking an egg about that size, I settled for a cheaper version for $200.  I would have given you $300 for all that you are selling easy.  As for portability I would go MM, but the medium is going to have a bigger cooking grid then the MM for home cooks, but the medium is more in price of course. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @sgh I'm loving it man. But I don't think it's necessary in the large. I might take it out for low and slows. I usually do a clean out and new charcoal if I'm doing anything over 4 hours anyway. 

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The XL doesn't need it.  I find it helps in the large, esp if you're lazy about cleaning the ash.
    I just made this decision today. I went with the medium. Granted, my dealer offered the medium for the same price as the Max, so I am thrilled with the purchase. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    +1 what nolaegghead said about the Kamado Joe Jr.  It's weight and the cool rack it comes in really helps with portability of a unit with a 13" cooking grid.

It just makes a good companion for my Large BGE.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited April 2015

From what I've heard, the medium is a great cooker, but for portability I would think the MM might better fit your needs, if you need more than the mini.

1. The MM may be easier to move around if you're planning on travelling with it a fair bit. That carrier looks pretty handy.

2. Given the hype, more eggcessories may be forthcoming for the MM than for the medium.

3. Although your truck doesn't have a hard/rigid cover from what I recall, the squatter profile of the MM may be easier to accommodate in the truck bed if you need to cover it.

4. Buy a medium for the mancave anyways.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.