Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Name??

Options
Maybe I've led a sheltered life but just when did my "Platesetter" become a "ConvEGGtor"?????
I just got a copy of the BGE Life brochure from my local dealer and saw they've killed the platesetter nomenclature.
Maybe it's a new spin for the upcoming election gaggle.
There are also some that will be horrified to see that the recommended recipe for Smoked Chili Con Carne contains 32 oz of kidney beans! :o

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They hired a German marketing guy who used to work for Ikea.
    Options
    That "no-bean" thing is largely a Texas thing.  It is their attempt at environmentalism.
    Options
    Can't be Ikea.....  too many vowels in ConvEGGtor to be Ikea!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that the platesetter terminology came from the ceramics industry and in order to charge more for it they changed the name so everyone knows it is made by BGE. :open_mouth: It will always be a platesetter to me.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    @Eggaroo you are exactly correct about the ceramics and glass industry and the "platesetter" terminology.  I started out with a 1 inch thick ceramic disc that I bought for like $25 instead of a ConvEGGtor when I started off on this Egg journey.  I got a PS from my father for Christmas, so that piece is now a pizza stone.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
     I think I've had my egg about 3-4 years now.  When I bought it, the nomenclature was platesetter.  Sometime during the last year, when I began re-searching what I would want to order for my next egg which will be a Medium, I noticed the new term ConvEGGtor.  That should ballpark a timeframe range when they changed nomenclature.  It's 1984 doublespeak IMO.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I thought a placesetter was your wife... =)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @henapple ... oh sure, add a smiley face just in case the missus reads your post.

The ceramics industry seems to call it a "plate setter" with the two words separated.  The printing world has a totally different item called a "platesetter."
    Since I just got "plate setter" straight in my mind, I'll probably skip the "convOluter" thing ...

A platesetter is a machine which receives a raster image from a raster image processor and in turn, creates a lithographic plate suitable for use on an offset press.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Pizza stone = kiln shelf.  Pizza stone costs $50, kiln shelf costs $25.  

ConvEGGtor = plate setter. ConvEGGtor cost $70, plate setter cost $28.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    Maybe I've led a sheltered life but just when did my "Platesetter" become a "ConvEGGtor"?????
    I just got a copy of the BGE Life brochure from my local dealer and saw they've killed the platesetter nomenclature.
    There are also some that will be horrified to see that the recommended recipe for Smoked Chili Con Carne contains 32 oz of kidney beans! :o
    It's been called that for almost a year now.  It changed shortly after I bought my egg last march.  My dealer told me about it.

As for chili without beans is sloppy joes to me.  Meat and some sauce is boring.  I wonder what Mickey thinks of Cincinnati chili. ;)  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    It's been called that for almost a year now.  It changed shortly after I bought my egg last march.  My dealer told me about it.

As for chili without beans is sloppy joes to me.  Meat and some sauce is boring.  I wonder what Mickey thinks of Cincinnati chili. ;)  
    Horrifying diarrhea sludge.
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Don't hate on the Cincinnati Chili!  Love Skyline! 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    JohnH12 said:

Horrifying diarrhea sludge.
    with cheese
    Options
    I like Cincinnati chili 7 ways; pasta, beans, onions, tomatoes, chili meat, cheese and sour cream.  I haven't had it in a long time though.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I like Cincinnati chili 7 ways; pasta, beans, onions, tomatoes, chili meat, cheese and sour cream.  I haven't had it in a long time though.
    My sister brought me some of the canned skyline stuff(She lives in Columbus). It is the worst thing that I've ever eaten.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Here in the Coney Island Hot Dog center of the universe, we keep it simple.  If it has beans, you put it in a bowl to eat it.  If it doesn't have beans, you slather it on your hot dog (with mustard & onions) to eat it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Skyline/ Cincinnati chili is one of those things that you either love it or hate it. My wife and I are the latter. When my daughter was in college in Cincinnati she couldn't wait to introduce us to this new flavor of chili (to us) but after trying it about 10 times in our visits with her, we never could figure out how people can rave about this stuff. To this day, we cringe when we think about eating it.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Here in the Coney Island Hot Dog center of the universe, we keep it simple.  If it has beans, you put it in a bowl to eat it.  If it doesn't have beans, you slather it on your hot dog (with mustard & onions) to eat it.
    Well said sir. If I may, allow me to add a note to that verse. If it has beans in it (which it should) you put it in a bowl and eat it as chili. If it doesn't have beans, you slather it on your hot dog because it is a slather or chili sauce, not actually chilli  =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.