Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small, Medium or MiniMax

So here is my situation, I have a large egg here at our home in Washington State and love it.  We also have a vacation home in Colorado, that has a large covered deck on the second level.  I would like to have an egg there also (this will be our only home when I retire).  The problem is that I would have to bring the egg in the house every night due to bears.  We have to bring humming bird feeders and bird feeders every night.

I’ll be cooking mostly for two, possibly four on occasion.  I won’t be doing any low and slows until we move here and I get an electric fence put up, and then I’ll have my large egg here also.

So, should I carry in the MiniMax, or get a small, or medium with a nest and roll it in?

Does one cook better then the others?

Thanks for your time and wisdom!

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    edited April 2015
    So my immediate thought is go gas.

Here is why:  If you have to bring it in everynight I would want to make sure everything is fully extinguished.  Rolling a hot egg inside is recipie for disaster.  I would not trust an egg I cooked on that day in my house unless I removed all the lump.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited April 2015
    One could also argue for another large if you can afford it. It's not hard to wheel inside, plus you'd already have accessories that fit it. Then when you move there permanently, you'll have 2 larges.

That being said, I have a mini egg and love it. It is very portable and can easily cook for 2-4 people on it. You might also take a look at the KJ Junior.

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I say the medium or small in a nest, I like the nest for moving my eggs around on my deck. I can move them so the smoke is going away from an area where people are sitting. When I had a home in FL and NC I got a medium for the NC home and would take it back and forth in the back of my Ford Expedition.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I would want to see where it had to be rolled and how far. Over a sliding door jam etc. secondly does the grill have to go in every night or only when you are gone. If every night then gas,  egg must be cold out and that would be a PIA. if it can be left out while you are there then egg. If rolling is no issue then small or medium to accompany the large in the future if entertaining is really not an issue. Lots of guests regularly then second large. I am a big fan of grill real estate.  For me personally medium is the smallest for two people
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2015
    I would never store any grill inside. Unless I wanted my house to smell like a BBQ joint. Also, as Ozzie said, with a charcoal grill, how can you be sure the fire is out? I read this recently... 

"In 1997 an Iowa couple died from breathing carbon monoxide from a charcoal grill," Greiner said. "The couple was camping with friends. After grilling hamburgers on a table-top grill, they placed the lid on the grill to extinguish the coals. They visited with their friends until about 10 p.m., then placed the grill in a storage area underneath their camper, watched the news and went to bed. The coals re-kindled and the carbon monoxide from the grill penetrated the floor of the camper, killing the couple."
      https://www.extension.iastate.edu/pages/communications/CO/grill.html

And then there's the fire hazard of placing a grill on what I assume is a wooden deck. I wouldn't do that either.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited April 2015
    Carolina Q said:
    I would never store any grill inside. Unless I wanted my house to smell like a BBQ joint

can't post now - rolling grill inside as we speak.
    Phoenix 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Do you have a garage to roll the egg in and out of?  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I agree completely with Ozzie above and would not want a hot Egg in my house unless I could move it through the house into a garage with concrete floors and ample safe zone at that point.
    Ceramic can and has failed.
    Hot embers will remain hot in the ash even overnight.

That said I would always choose the larger size Egg and go Medium.
    Lump is not that expensive.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    fence0407 said:
    One could also argue for another large if you can afford it. It's not hard to wheel inside, plus you'd already have accessories that fit it. Then when you move there permanently, you'll have 2 larges.

That being said, I have a mini egg and love it. It is very portable and can easily cook for 2-4 people on it. You might also take a look at the KJ Junior.

I agree with @fence0407, but, I would also get a kick ash basket and a metal bucket.  Before you move the Large into the house, wait until it's below 200 and take all the unused coals out with the basket.  Store it in the metal bucket away from the house.  After a few minutes with the lid open, it should be cool enough to move into the house without a risk of burning down the house.

It would still make the house smell of smoke.  But, you'll get that with any charcoal grill unless you go with gas.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    +1 on using the Kick Ash Basket, or something similar if you have to bring it in a night. I wouldn't trust a warm BGE inside the house, even if in a garage.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have one. My advice go lift one. I can't carry not myself. Wife can't help. So keeping the Mini in the Carten that I can move around by myself when needed. I would get the MM as I really like mine. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.