Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: "There is nothing more personal than mayonnaise . . . "

Great quote from the article below.  

Anyone else eat 11 lbs/year like they do in Russia?  (And they probably don't use it on their bbq!)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/15/dining/theres-no-mayonnaise-like-my-mayonnaise.html?rref=dining&module=Ribbon&version=origin&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Food&pgtype=article
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I love Duke's and order it on-line as the stores in Nebraska don't carry it.  Having been to Russia I can attest to how much they love their mayo and it was used in darn near every meal I had there in some way or another.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR said:
    I love Duke's and order it on-line as the stores in Nebraska don't carry it.  Having been to Russia I can attest to how much they love their mayo and it was used in darn near every meal I had there in some way or another.

Mike
    Walmart carries dukes here in arkansas now. Have you checked lately?

Little Rock, AR

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Best Foods, afterall, it's on the label so it has to be the Best.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It's just mayo, ya know?

I can't get Duke's here unless I order online or bring it home with me when I visit relatives. I have an unopened jar now, waiting until I finish the half empty jar of Cain's. Hellman's is fine too. In other words, who cares, it's mayo!? Yeah, I guess I like Duke's a bit better than the others, but any of them will do. 

Another reason not to move to Russia. LOL

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mayo and vodka? Ouch
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I like Blue Plate and Duke's. I dont think I'd go to the trouble of ordering one brand online over the other. 

Little Rock, AR

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I'm partial to Dukes and Kewpie (Japanese mayo). Hellmans will do if none of the others are available.

Like mayo and horseradish sauce on some beef.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    There's other brands of mayo?  Thought it was Duke's and only Duke's.  

I do like Kraft too... It's similar to Duke's.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I'm the only guy here who makes their own?  :|

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Botch you are not alone i dont touch store mayo at all too easy to make and sooo much better
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Dukes and Blue Plate

then everything else.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have been rubbing my chuck roasts heavily with dukes and spicy yellow mustard. Seems to help it not dry out.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Botch said:
    Don't recall making my own mayo, but I've made ketchup several times. I don't use enough of either to make it worth doing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Making your own is great and tastes great too, but on most dishes, mayo is an ingredient, but I always add something to kick it a notch.  It's simply a profile at that point. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited April 2015
    I grew up with Miracle Whip in the 50/60s, never knew what mayo was until I moved out of the house.  It's been Best Foods/Hellman's since, can't stand Miracle Whip anymore.  I should probably try and make some one of these days.  Never seen Duke's/Blue Plate out here in CA
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Theres a Krafts " homestyle". Its pretty good. I havent made my own but plan to. 

Little Rock, AR

• blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Trader Joes brand is real good too.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have been buying Wegman's light (Not fat free) Mayo for years and like it fine.  With that said, everybody on here raves about Dukes, I stumbled on Dukes in 8 oz jars at Dollar Tree for a buck (of course), so I grabbed one.  I would guess you can buy it at any Dollar Tree in the US.  In that the usual Mayo jar is 40 oz., that works out to 5 bucks a jar, probably cheaper than mail order.  Have not tried it yet.  I only use mayo on  sandwiches.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    logchief said:
    I grew up with Miracle Whip in the 50/60s, never knew what mayo was until I moved out of the house.  It's been Best Foods/Hellman's since, can't stand Miracle Whip anymore. 

Miracle Whip is to mayo what margarine is to butter.  :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Botch said:
    I will make my own aioli - mayo's cousin - but rarely do I bother to make my own mayo.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    cains or hellmanns unless im making my famous spam spread and goobers sandwich on an onion roll, then its miracle whip
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cains or hellmanns unless im making my famous spam spread and goobers sandwich on an onion roll, then its miracle whip
    Spam Spread & Goobers Sammich?  What's that?
    Flint, Michigan
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Dukes is the best. If your curious, look up the history of Dukes mayo and how it started. Pretty good story!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• fishlessman
    cains or hellmanns unless im making my famous spam spread and goobers sandwich on an onion roll, then its miracle whip
    Spam Spread & Goobers Sammich?  What's that?
    spam makes a spread and goobers is the jar of peanut butter and grape jelly, some odd reason they taste good together with miracle whip. its my lucky fishing sandwich =) its really hard to find the spam spread so when i do i stock up
    fukahwee maine

• mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Anyone care to share the homemade recipe. I would like to try that soon. Thanks guys
    Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig
  • Thanks.  I've seen the Goobers you're talking about, but I've never seen Spam Spread.  I wasn't looking for it either though.  If I stumble across it, I'll give it a whirl.  I'm not sure about the Miracle Whip though! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    Thanks.  I've seen the Goobers you're talking about, but I've never seen Spam Spread.  I wasn't looking for it either though.  If I stumble across it, I'll give it a whirl.  I'm not sure about the Miracle Whip though! 
    miracle whip is a must on that sandwich, mayo wont cut it, its also good with hard sliced salami sandwiches. mayo goes on everything else that needs mayo
    fukahwee maine

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Here's the recipe I used when I moved to Tx in the early 80's and realized that Duke's wasn't sold west of the Mississippi River. Ouch!

Mayonnaise

Servings: 8

Ingredients
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon mustard, dried
    1/8 teaspoon paprika
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
    1/2 cup oil, safflower

Procedure
    1. Put all ingredients except the oil in a blender. Blend on high speed for 5 seconds. Continue blending and add the oil in a steady stream, this will take about 6 seconds.

2. Put in a container with a tight fitting lid and store in the refrigerator for 1 week.

Tips
    You can also put all of the ingredients into a pint Mason jar and mix with an emersion blender for approximately 10 seconds.

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 131 calories, 126 calories from fat, 14.3g total fat, 23.3mg cholesterol, 45.3mg sodium, 15.2mg potassium, <1g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, <1g sugar, <1g protein, 18 points.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC