Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roll

Options
Teslamania
Teslamania Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now that I peaked your interest, my question is for those of you who "roll" your ribs. I am thinking of trying to roll my ribs with either bamboo skewers or string. Do you flip the ribs at all? What part goes down if they rest like that for the whole time? Thanks!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Teslamania, [p]You can do two things...either do em with the large bone side up for the full cook and no flips.. or you can flip and sauce em as you wish. I have used both the ceramic and wire turkey sitters in the same fashion and wrapped the ribs around em.. I liked the wire sitter the best. Its a ribbers choice.
    I liked Cats string method also..Strange, Cats have a thing about strings and stuff..:-)[p]Cheers..C~W[p]

• Teslamania
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks for the tip. Ribs will go on today. Also going to cook some Hoppin Johns (black eyed peas and rice. Yea, I know what you mean about string. I bet Cat has a BIG ball of it.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Teslamania,
    C~W got it right. I always roll but the ribs so that I side that used have the membrane is on the inside. However, I put the large bone side down. My theory is that the thicker part will take the direct heat better than the thin end. I do not flip the ribs, but I do not sauce them either. Any sauce is applied at the table. [p]With the quality rubs that we have here (JJ’s and EW’s), I let the ribs speak for themselves. Also, quite a few bottled BBQ sauces have fake smoke in them. I do not see a reason to ruin the wonderful smoke flavor we get from the egg. It is kind of like adding ice to fine Single Malt.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]