Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Official April Greek Cuisine Throwdown!!!

Options
Please use this thread for participant posts only. Thank You. And Good Luck.

Direct comments and questions on the Unofficial Thread Please. 
http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178999/unofficial-april-throwdown?new=1
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Bump. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • AbraHammer
    Options
    Greek Pizza
    this is my first attempt at pizza and first throw down.

SWMBO made the dough from scratch ( dry yeast, water, salt, olive oil, all purpose flour)
    the toppings included olive oil, garlic, red onion, lamb, feta, cherry toms, basil, kalamata olives, artichokes, corn starch, spinach and mozzarella (forget to add spinach and mozzarella  to pic of ingredients)

Green Abe & Ham
  • Ewelch04
    Ewelch04 Posts: 49
    Options
    @AbraHammerGreat job.  That looks great! 
    Bluffton, SC LBGE, SBGE, Thermapen
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ewelch04 said:
    @AbraHammerGreat job.  That looks great! 

Please attach comments etc here http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1179078/unofficial-april-throwdown-edited#latest 
    so this page is just cook's posts (thanks). Also only one vote per egghead so I recommend waiting to vote until all entries have been submitted. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Okay I did chicken and pork souvlaki for a main.  Calimari and chipolte aioli sauce, tomatoes and feta drizzled with raspberry balsamic vinegar raganatha, Greek salad and potatoes for sides.  I missed lots in the ingredient shot because I forgot about the ailoli and I also just try things unplanned.

I also forgot the potatoe in the plated pic.

Full disclosure, I bought the souvlaki.

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • flyer_egger
    flyer_egger Posts: 128
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Stuffed Lamb and Bacon Burger  
    Started to make Greek Meatballs but saw the Pitas and the idea of a BIG burger made this happen.
    Ingredents ( well at least most of them, including a 3.87 lb Boneless leg of lamb and a 1.12 lb slab of BACON)
    next is the prep, (inc the missing ingredents) I ground the lamb and bacon together then mixed in onion, mint, garlic,eggs, oregiano,cinnamon,lemon juice
    The meat was spread on one plate, olives and Feta was added and the top meat layer was then added (you can see the second layer sitting in the corner above the ground meat)

next was cooking,  Yea some stuck when I flipped it.

next added Romaine, cucumber,sun dried tomatoes, tzatziki sause.

and the final product.

Thanks for this challange.  This was one of the best burgers I've ever made and I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for this challange.  TKs Chris
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I'm doing a leg of lamb tomorrow. Do I bend it over a chair to make it Greko?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thegooddocta
    Options
    Greek stuffed chicken (stuffed with spinach, parsley, feta, parm, kalamata olives, preserved lemon) with jalapeño hummus, egged baba ghanoush, tzatziki sauce, cucumber tomato salad, and pitas (all but the pitas homemade). Oh yeah - it was GOOD! The chicken was awesome!

Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    So when Husker said Greek I was thinking I was going to sit this out. I've never eaten Greek food, at least I don't think I have, so I really didn't know what to do. With Easter here I really didn't think a gyro Easter was the answer. So I went with a desert I have never tried. Baklava! I have a pretty serious sweet tooth so this was going to make an excellent desert for Easter. This throw downs make me to do things I don't normally do. That's why I enter. Thanks for looking. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    I did a Gyro Fatty with homemade Pita Bread, Tzatziki Sauce, and Rosemary Roasted Red Potatoes.  

The Gyro was made of ground lamb seasoned with Oregano, Marjoram, Rosemary, Garlic, Onion, Salt & Pepper. Stuffed with Roasted Red Peppers, Feta Cheese and Dill and wrapped in a bacon weave.  Smoked over Pecan to 165 degrees last Thursday night.  

Friday night I griddled the sliced fatty while baking the pita bread in the egg and roasting the potatoes in the oven. 

Plated in a pita with the Tzatziki, cherry tomatoes and some greens.

Thought this was an original idea but alas those are rare. Saturday I googled "Gyro Fatty" and there are other results, though none exactly like mine. Received family approval. I'll definitely do homemade gyros and pita bread again.  The pita bread really is quite easy.  I think it's easier to do on the egg than in the oven. I grilled some directly on the egg without the stone for some zebra bread and it was really good too.  

Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • s_claus
    s_claus Posts: 74
    Options
    Not much of an expert on Greek cuisine. But did some reading and figured I'd give it a try. Some pork souvlaki (done on the steel not skewered). A grilled veggie salad and dessert of roast pear with honey and yogurt.

The ingredients as prep started.

Prep finished and ready to start cooking. The pork is marinated in a bath of lemon juice, lemon zest, oregano, mint, salt, pepper, and EVOO. Some of this same mixture will be used to dress the veggies after they are cooked. The tzatziki is made. The veggies are asparagus, green onions, par cooked green beans, sweet peppers, tomato and onion.

Veggies on the grill. I was so wound up in cooking, that I forgot to take a shot of the pork on the grill.

And ready to eat. I realized as I started eating that I hadn't put feta on the salad. So imagine a little on the veggies.

And dessert. The roasted pear with yogurt, honey and fresh mint. The pear was still so warm the honey and yogurt started to melt before I could get the picture. 

If you care to comment  
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1179384/dinner-tonight-souvlaki-and-greek-grilled-veggie-salad#latest

HO HO HO
    LBGE in Lawrenceville, GA
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Butterflied Rosemary leg of lamb, Mediterranean cauliflower "rice" and deviled eggs (because Easter). 

The pix will be out of order as always. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Bump
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Bump!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    If you are interested in entering don't procrastinate any longer. Today is the last day to enter (up to midnight EST). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited April 2015
    Options

Greek Style Baby Back Ribs

Rub: 
    Smoked Paprika
    Ground coriander
    Salt
    1 lemon 
    Garlic Salt
    Dried Oregano

Glaze: 
    Honey
    Red wine vinegar
    Minced garlic
    1/2 red onion 
    Fresh oregano
    Fresh thyme

Tzatziki sauce: 

Sour cream (I forgot Greek yogurt, went straight sour cream) 
    Lemon Juice
    Dill
    Minced Garlic
    Grated English cucumber
    Salt
    Pepper
    Honey

1 - Rubed lemon juice over ribs.  Cover ribs with rub.  

2 - Set Egg to 250°.  Let the ribs cook for about an hour to hour and half with no foil.  Used apple and hickory for smoke.  

3 - Foiled ribs and poured half of the glaze ingredients over ribs and re-foiled and place back on the Egg for another hour to hour and half.  

4 - Removed from Egg and poured the rest of the glaze on.  

5 - Let the Egg come up in temp some to char the outside of the ribs.  

6 - Cut and serve with tzatziki sauce

Ingredients

On and getting some smoke love....

Getting legit and stuff...

Pretty dang tasty!  

Not real thrilled about this shot.  Was rushed, tired, and hungry!

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Voting has begun. Please, only one vote per egghead. Voting ends Wednesday at midnight.  There were some excellent posts so look at each one before casting your vote. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    just
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Bump. Vote
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Butterflied Rosemary leg of lamb, Mediterranean cauliflower "rice" and deviled eggs (because Easter). 

The pix will be out of order as always. 

Not sure what happened here. Sorry for multiple post!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    WOW.....Just WOW !!!!  Every entry is amazing !!!!!  I'm sick I missed it !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Voting ends today at midnight EST. I will ONLY vote in the event of a tiebreaker. Please only vote ONCE. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Two hours left till the polls close. Chime in and VOTE for your favorite. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    @tarheelmatt How did you like the ribs?
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Winner @shucker Congratulations
    Please PM me on which rub to ship. 
    Great work on all the contestants and thanks for participating. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    bboulier said:
    @tarheelmatt How did you like the ribs?
    @bboulier , they were very good.  I feel it could have benefited from a little more salt.  My wife liked them better than the BBQ ribs I made.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Options
    Wow this all looks really good. Nice job!
    Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig
  • mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Options
    Henderson TR King is my vote!
    Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig
  • ar15203
    ar15203 Posts: 86
    Options
    I did a Gyro Fatty with homemade Pita Bread, Tzatziki Sauce, and Rosemary Roasted Red Potatoes.  

The Gyro was made of ground lamb seasoned with Oregano, Marjoram, Rosemary, Garlic, Onion, Salt & Pepper. Stuffed with Roasted Red Peppers, Feta Cheese and Dill and wrapped in a bacon weave.  Smoked over Pecan to 165 degrees last Thursday night.  

Friday night I griddled the sliced fatty while baking the pita bread in the egg and roasting the potatoes in the oven. 

Plated in a pita with the Tzatziki, cherry tomatoes and some greens.

Thought this was an original idea but alas those are rare. Saturday I googled "Gyro Fatty" and there are other results, though none exactly like mine. Received family approval. I'll definitely do homemade gyros and pita bread again.  The pita bread really is quite easy.  I think it's easier to do on the egg than in the oven. I grilled some directly on the egg without the stone for some zebra bread and it was really good too.  

Can you send me the recipe 
    XLBGE, Egging in NH