Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PRICE

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just came back from a home and garden show where I saw one of the large eggs, and they were smoking a pork loin in it. I thought that everything looked normal for smoking meat. I asked the guy about the prices of these eggs and what kind of wood to use and his answers floored me. He said the cost of the unit was $699.00 and that I would have to burn charcoal that was produced by the smoker manufacturer. the conversation ended there and I will never ask any questions again about this unit. I love to bbq, but not at that expense.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    KENT ,[p]Don't stop asking questions & take a stroll through the forum posts. There is a lot of good information there. The guy was wrong about lump charcoal. It has been around for a long long time and comes in many brands. The guy was right about the price, but he should have pointed out the VALUE not just the price.[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • laker
    laker Posts: 10
    Prices are all differnt. In my area, NE Indiana, I can buy a large from $619, to $546 plus tax and a nest if needed.[p]I am looking to buy another large, but only want to spend money on used.[p]Quality charcoal is available. [p]Continue to look and buy now as you will be very satisfied.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    KENT ,
    6 years ago I paid $700 for a large Egg, accessories and a table from a local dealer. I have no regrets at all. My wife was ready to visit the lawyer and have my ass hauled off to the funny farm. (I went out to buy a Weber charcoal grill). I guess you can get hit pretty hard by the price but you have to consider it's guranteed for life and you get to join the Cult of the Big Green Egg! Drink beeah and brag about your butt! By the way, the dealer and I have gotten to be friends and I'm his advisor on all things Egg. He gives my number to new buyers and calls me his Egg Tech.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    KENT ,
    Yes, it is an expensive unit, but it isn't just a smoker. You can smoke in it, make jerky, bake, roast, sear, wok, practically anything. You can use any brand of lump charcoal you want in it. BGE does sell lump charcoal, but you can buy lump charcoal from all kinds of places for a lot less $$$. Also consider that this will most likely be the only/last cooker you ever buy. It won't rust out and have to be replaced every few years. Don't let the price scare you away. You'll be sorry if you do....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • After many years of use if my two eggs (1 large & 1 small) were stolen (gasp) tonight - I'd buy 2 new eggs tomorrow without hesitation.

OctoberGlory
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    KENT ,
    if you never smoked once in the egg, it'd still paty for itself. sears better than any gas grill can, and is a virtual brick oven when it comes to pizzas, bread, etc.[p]when you add in the whole barbecue side of the equation, the whole thing goes over the top...[p]no other product out there does the same thing to the same level as ceramic smoker/grills do. and that makes them cheaper than buying a top-end grill, a top-end smoker, and building a brick oven.[p]had mine four years or so, and have yet to buy Big Green Egg lump charcoal, by the way.[p]best $650 i ever spent

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    My fellow Eggrs have made some great points! Hopefully you'll see the value that we've all discovered in our BGEs. And for what its worth, many of the relationships and friendships formed and forged via the BGE can truly be priceless. My wife Karen and I went to our first BGE EggFest in Ocala this past weekend and had a great
    time and we met really nice people.[p]Maybe the BGE is right for you. Maybe it isn't. You decide. And keep reading the Forum....we're having fun.[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    eddiemac,
    Are you still working on forming the STPFIC?[p](Society to Prevent Flavorings In Chocolate)[p]:)[p]Enjoyed very much chatting with you and your wife and look forward to the day when I can actually make it to AND attend the food festival in South Beach.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    ribsplus.jpg
    <p />KENT,[p]Worth every penny. I have added a small, and want to add an XL, since this picture was taken. Save your money if you have to, buy a large Big Green Egg, and don't look back. You will be VERY happy.[p]Chuck

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Laker,[p]I live in Auburn, IN. Where are you from?[p]Woody54
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    KENT ,[p]You are like the majority when they first see the price tag but eventually if you do the math and understand the flexibility of this unit, it begins to make perfect sense. Do a little more research and poking around and you'll certainly see why many here have joined the club more than once!