Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

yearly makeover

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
The old table was looking rough so I spent a little time with it. The slate trim kept peeling off so I removed it from the top and installed an oak border. My ipe place closed so I made do. Doesn't match perfect but I'll manage. Hated the light gray grout so I stained it. 2 coats of oil on the ipe frame, 3 coats of poly on the oak trim and a deep clean/seal on the slate. All in all I'm ok with it. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks lemony fresh!  Nice. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good Tony!  Have you had any issues with the slate cracking from heat?
    Options
    No...but the smaller pieces of slate just continue to shed. Pretty laid down but not on the edges. I always tell new Eggers to wait. The slate is pretty but a biatch to keep clean and the grout as well. I might sell the table. Think it'd bring $500...that's what I've got in it.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @henapple looks nice, I need to get off my lazy butt and build a table.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• henapple
    Options
    @ryantt ...wait a while till you're sure what you want/need. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks nice. What's under the slate? I thought of using cement backer board topped with granite or ceramic tile (cuz there's no way I'd ever spring for a real granite top). 

Then, I decided if I ever build a table, I'll just leave the egg in it's nest and build a standalone side table.

I like the look of that slate though!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Damn nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    Options
    Looks nice. What's under the slate? I thought of using cement backer board topped with granite or ceramic tile (cuz there's no way I'd ever spring for a real granite top). 

Then, I decided if I ever build a table, I'll just leave the egg in it's nest and build a standalone side table.

2 layers of 3/4 ext plywood and hardi backer board. If I had to do it over I'd build a table for the egg to roll into. This tables weighs 300 lbs. Too hard to be transported. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'm right there with ya Tony.  Wish id gone with a nest and side table or something I could roll a nest into. Wood table with a granite insert = too heavy and high maintenance. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Me likey!
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My table is about 7.5' long and, with the egg, weighs around 400 pounds. I never move it more than I need to clean under/around it, so no worries there.  Keeps it a bit more stable in hurricanes and it's dog and drunk resistant.
    Options
    I'm looking to build an all terrain table that I can load on a trailer. I may need a welder for the ideas floating in my head. I'm looking at large wheels.
  • henapple
    Options
    I'm looking to build an all terrain table that I can load on a trailer. I may need a welder for the ideas floating in my head. I'm looking at large wheels.
    I'd go with air filled wheels...more forgiving. 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Love the look of wood and stone table but I went with stainless table in hopes of easier maintenance. 
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Options
    Nice nw wood table needs a lot of tlc
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    Nice!
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You do some good work, man.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

That's sort of the setup that I have. I have lots of storage space since my prep table doesn't have an egg in it. Lots of work space too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Looks great.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Table looks awesome man. I really need to clean mine up