Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burned Pizza

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first attempt at BGE 'za was a flop :-( I used a combination of recipes from Spin and Anthony UpNorth. No complaints about those; I can tell they are terrific. My problem was that I badly burned the bottom of the pizza. I used a pizza setter (without stone). BGE got up to about 650 before I brought it back down to 550. After about 5 mins at 550, I put the pizza on the setter and closed BGE for 8 mins. When I took pizza out, the top was terrific, but the bottom was charred black. Did this happen because I was too cheap to heed the advice of some who said I must use a stone with the setter? Or because I let the Egg get to 650? Or let the pizza sit too long? Or something else?[p]Thanks for any help...
E1

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Eggcitable One,[p]You need a stone and a setter or two stones or a stone and firebricks. Don't preheat the stone more than a few minutes and cook at 575-600 deg. Its too hard to bring down so just add the slide/daisy top and make it wide open. It will max out at 650 but it takes a long time to get there so shut it down a little at 575 deg. Try another - its worth it.[p]Tim
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Eggcitable One,[p]I assume you made the pie from scratch (good for you). A second stone on the setter adds the benefit of extra insulation from the heat of the fire.[p]Heating your Egg to 650F is not a problem when cooking over a preheated stone. I often preheat the doubled stones to 700F for 10 minutes.[p]Eight minutes is way too long on a single stone. A double stone will allow a better finish of the topping without burning the dough. Look to finish in 5-7 minutes.[p]Spin[p]