Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - Fire Safety

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,237
Not egg related, but please remember to clean your dryer vents (inside the dryer and out). I was unfortunately reminded of this last Friday when someone I know's house caught on fire. Luckily no one was hurt and they were able to get it put out in a timely fashion. Fire, smoke and water damage to their house. It's going to be a long road ahead for them and a while before life returns to normal.

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Glad no one was hurt and the house isn't a loss.  Will keep this in mind!  Thanks for the announcement. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited April 2015
    Options
    when I moved into my home last July I took my vent apart. It was a 75ft run filled completely with lint not a square inch of free space.. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with the condensation water that was stuck in the vent (probably the only thing that kept the house from burning down)
    Aurora,OH
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Good message. I'm glad nobody was hurt.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fence0407
    Options
    when I moved into my home last July I took my vent apart. It was a 75ft run filled completely with lint not a square inch of free space.. I filled a 5 gallon buck with the condensation water that was stuck in the vent (probably the only thing that kept the house from burning down)
    Wow - that is scary. Glad you caught it before something bad happened.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options

Good message. I'm glad nobody was hurt.
    Thanks - me too. Don't wish this upon anyone so if this helps someone it's worth it.
    Cumming, GA  

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Have a long dryer vent run and you don't want to tear it apart like @NervousDad did?  Use a leaf blower ... seriously.  just don't use it from the outside inward ... that can really irritate the missus.  Oh yea, something to catch all the lint before it turns your yard white is also a good idea.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• fence0407
    Options
    Have a long dryer vent run and you don't want to tear it apart like @NervousDad did?  Use a leaf blower ... seriously.  just don't use it from the outside inward ... that can really irritate the missus.  Oh yea, something to catch all the lint before it turns your yard white is also a good idea.
    Good call! I have a shop-vac that I think I'll use.
    Cumming, GA  

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
     I installed one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Fantech-DBF-Dryer-Booster-Duct/dp/B000GXF7KO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429109656&sr=8-3&keywords=boost+fan

expensive, but works really well.

Aurora,OH
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Scares me to death. Got a guy coming next week to clean mine. Thanks for the psa
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I've gone as far as buying a brush that attached to my cordless drill that snakes into the vent from the outside.  You can add more fiberglass poles to extend the length 3-4 feet at a time with those screw-in poles.  Does a heck of a job cleaning the vent.

Once it stops raining here in Atlanta, I think I'll be cleaning my dryer vent out!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
     I installed one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Fantech-DBF-Dryer-Booster-Duct/dp/B000GXF7KO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429109656&sr=8-3&keywords=boost+fan

expensive, but works really well.

Oh, hell yes. I have bedroom level laundry and just did some work improving the drain and elevating the W/D to pedestal height. I replaced the dryer vent flexi-tubeand it had about 1/2 inch of compacted, hardened lint inside the old one. I can install this up in my crawl space where the vent runs up to the roof to exit. 
  • fence0407
    Options
    Scares me to death. Got a guy coming next week to clean mine. Thanks for the psa
    You're welcome - it scares me to death too!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options

I've gone as far as buying a brush that attached to my cordless drill that snakes into the vent from the outside.  You can add more fiberglass poles to extend the length 3-4 feet at a time with those screw-in poles.  Does a heck of a job cleaning the vent.

Once it stops raining here in Atlanta, I think I'll be cleaning my dryer vent out!
    I saw this at Home Depot yesterday and it was recommended by the employee there too. Glad to hear it worked for you. I might give that a shot if my shop-vac solution doesn't work. I hear ya on the rain too!
    Cumming, GA  

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I turn the dryer on air so its not blowing heat, and I start at the vent exit outside the house.  You get COVERED in lint, but I think its worth it.  Wear a dust mask!!!! 

Then when not in use, I've got the brush and extension poles stored in a 3 inch PVC pipe hanging in the garage like a quiver with a hunting bow!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• fence0407
    Options
    I turn the dryer on air so its not blowing heat, and I start at the vent exit outside the house.  You get COVERED in lint, but I think its worth it.  Wear a dust mask!!!! 

Then when not in use, I've got the brush and extension poles stored in a 3 inch PVC pipe hanging in the garage like a quiver with a hunting bow!
    Thanks for the info Dave!!
    Cumming, GA