Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-735

Has anybody tried The Maverick ET-735 bluetooth thermometer yet? Was thinking igrill but this looks nice. Happen to see it on firecraft.com.

Comments

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    I have an igrill and I really like it except.... I'm really tempted by the range of the 733. Igrill is great but as you can imagine the range is somewhat limited not sure about the 735 but being Bluetooth it may have the same limited range. Just my thoughts the Bluetooth is fun so is the monitoring program
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    My Maverick 733 just quit. Got it for Christmas and dead just after the 90 day warranty ended. The receiver LCD won't work anymore.
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    So the maverick 733 is not Bluetooth?  What range do you get out of the non 735 models?  Bluetooth will not make it from my porch to where I need to monitor from in the house...  Been thinking of adding a maverick for cooks where I don't use the cyber q
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @NCEggSmoker ... Give Maverick service a call. I would be very surprised if they didn't help you out.

@swordsmn ... The 733 seems to be a little better than the 732 on range.  I can use either unit anyplace in my house ... my son needed the 733 to reach to his bedroom.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    My igrill2 works great but I'm always close to the unit so distance isn't a problem. 
    McKinney, TX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    The ET-735 looks cool as long as the range is adequate.  I've been waiting almost 15 years now for my original ET-73 to die so I can get the latest model.
    It refuses to die!  Original probes too!

Packerland, Wisconsin

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited April 2015
    swordsmn said:
    So the maverick 733 is not Bluetooth?  What range do you get out of the non 735 models?  Bluetooth will not make it from my porch to where I need to monitor from in the house...  Been thinking of adding a maverick for cooks where I don't use the cyber q
    I know this sounds simple but this happened to me and new batteries fixed it. It was making noises and everything so I thought the screen went out- I called them and they asked me to shut it down for a few minutes and put fresh batteries in. It worked like a champ. It has never done it again even when the batteries are low.

Call them- they are very helpful. They have sent me 2 new sets of probes over the years just for asking. And they sent me the better, upgraded dual probes last time

they are good folks who try to do right.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a Maverick. Bought it early on when I listened to too many people tell me what I just HAD to have. Complete waste of money. Ive had it for about 5 years and have probably used it 5 times. For my infrequent low n slows, I use a DigiQ. for anything else, I set up the egg as needed and come back to check when I know it should be done.  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    My dealer did a test on the 735 Bluetooth model and had no problem all the way out to 125' and that was inside to their office.  I am thinking of getting one too. My current one doesn't even go 50' or inside to my bedroom.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Have not done any slow and low yet. Probably not going to do a bunch of them.  Was trying to decide if it is worth twice the price of the igrill mini. 
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Charcoal_Addict Posts: 227
    edited April 2015
    The 735 plain sucks.  I gave mine to my mom so she could use it for her stove.  The range is very poor.  45 feet on average.  Alumimum siding and other issues cause the range to vary.  I bought a 733 instead.  The new probes are the only thing I like on the 735.  Otherwise the range on the Bluetooth sucks.  There no kind words I can offer there.  Stick with the 733 and 732.  

If you're standing outside the range is good.  Around 80 -100 Feet.  The second you hit the wall of your house the range drops considerably.  Bluetooth is just plain useless for BBQ toys. 
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    The ET-735 looks cool as long as the range is adequate.  I've been waiting almost 15 years now for my original ET-73 to die so I can get the latest model.
    It refuses to die!  Original probes too!

How about I buy you a ET-735 and you mail your ET-73 to me.

I've had 3 units die on me so far.  I believe it is cheap chinese manufacturing that just isn't putting the quality control in to the products.  Using cheap non-OEM devices and cheap assembly.

So if you have a unit that won't die, I would like to have it and am willing to buy you the latest and greatest wizbang model with bells & whistles.  Of course, I make no claims of how long the new unit will last.  I understand you can't make any claims as to how long your old unit will last, but knowing a little bit about the bathtub shaped curve and infant mortality of electronics, I'm willing to gamble your old unit will last longer than a new one.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• mtbguy
    Good to know. 
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    I bought one and will be using it Friday night for a overnight low and slow.  Bedroom is on the second level just over the egg.  It seemed to work ok in the rooms of the house close to the egg as I was testing it.  I'll post the results.
  • mtbguy
    blukat said:
    I bought one and will be using it Friday night for a overnight low and slow.  Bedroom is on the second level just over the egg.  It seemed to work ok in the rooms of the house close to the egg as I was testing it.  I'll post the results.
    That's good, I'm in no hurry to get one. 
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Put 3 butts in last night at midnight, will be finished soon.  The maverick ET-735 worked great overnight, never lost connection and works throughout the house.  I used some of my old probes as I had 1 large butt and 2 smaller ones.  Having the ability to use 4 probes are great.  So far so good!