Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Induction to the cult!!!

Gatortail
Gatortail Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up my brand new large "Blue" Green Egg, and have yet to get it broken in this past weekend due to Hurricane Gordon...Do any of you folks have any suggestion as to what I should try first? You have a great forum going and am looking forward to contribute once I become an eggspert. Green regards, Gatortail

Comments

• gatortail,
    First of all Welcome. The best is yet to come.[p]The best suggestion is to take whatever recipe was your favorite on you gas grill and make that. This way you will be able to know how much better the Egg performs than Ol’Gassy.[p]By the way, let us know what that recipe is.[p]Have fun,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    gatortail,[p]Congrads and welcome to the forum. Just about anything you do on the egg will be better that what you're used to! Chicken is always a good start![p]Smokey
  • gatortail,
    Perhaps the easiest thing to do is steak. Get some nice thick steaks and rub them with yellow mustard, kosher salt, cracked pepper and lemon-pepper seasoning, then fire up the egg to 600+. Sear both sides for around 2 minutes then close up the egg completely for another 8 or so minutes and allow the steaks to "dwell" in there. You may want to toss in a handfull of wood chips for a little smoke. You'll have the best steaks you've ever eaten in about 12-15 minutes. You don't want to get too fancy with the first cook...just enough to whet your appetite.
    Welcome to the club!

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    gatortail,[p]Hmmmm... Chicken or steak, steak or chicken. Wifey and I argue which is best. I would have to vote for beer butt chicken.[p]Also, a word of warning. You might place a mat under Ol' Gassy to protect your patio from rust stains.
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S09_29_9917_43_07.jpg
    <p />gatortail, may I suggest something realy easy and realy good - a little London Broil - the link will take you to my first cook on the BGE - in 10 days it will be 1 year![p]Whatever you do good luck and welcome to the forum.

[ul][li]The Baptism...[/ul]
  • gatortail,[p]Welcome!! This really is a great group. I have only one warning, however: Beware, your waistline is in serious jeopardy of expansion. Here's my suggestion on how to start:[p]Find the best butcher in town and ask for a filet mignon about 2.5 - 3" thick and 8-10 ozs. Crush black peppercorns and rub them on both sides of the steak; you can add a pinch of kosher salt or sea salt too (if you use sea salt, make sure it is not iodized). Don't be shy about coating with pepper here. Run humpty up to about 700 and sear each side of the steak about 2.5 - 3 mins. Then close the wheel, vent, and dome, and let the steaks dwell for about 5 mins. After cooking, let the steaks sit for 5-10 minutes and serve. Afterwards, you will never be able to go to your favorite steakhouse again without thinking how much better you can do it yourself. [p]Enjoy!!
    E1

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    gatortail,
    Chicken wings are awesome ! Easy and quick. Use the Wa-wa
    wing recipe with whatever rubs you have available. MMMMMMM[p]

• gatortail, Welcome!! I just got started in June, these people are great. Gfw's site will help a bunch on new and eggciting recipes. Is your real BGE really BLUE? If so, where can I get a purple one for my beloved KSU Cats? Your not going to like this but my brother-in-law is a huge UGA fan, by the way is my only one but not my favorite. Anyway I'm taking my BGE to the UGA-Florida game this year. 50 yard line seats and some great BBQ.[p]CWM[p][p][p][p]
    CWM

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Car Wash Mike,
    I will be there with my egg,we always stay at Amelia Island at the Amelia Island surf and racket club.If you make it over to the island in the rear of Hammerheads restaurant is a little place called Island BBQ,great ribs and corn fritters.
    Larry

• Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks for the suggestion! My BGE , it is gator blue...As far as a purple one, that might be stretching it but you never know. I'd check out your local dealer. Now onto the good stuff. UF vs. UGA tickets, 50 yard line, if you've got any extra, send them my way. 2 BGE's at the World's Largest Cocktail Party...Jacksonville will be filled with all kinds of drunk chickens!!
    Gatortail

• YB, Do you play there? I played there 2 years ago when the Chiefs were in town for the Jax. game what a great place. It looks like I'll be in town Tuesday, TPC Wednesday, deep sea fishing Thursday (I'm hoping for a good catch so I can try fish on BGE), golf early Friday then party time.[p]CWM
  • YB
    Car Wash Mike,
    We will get in town on Wednesday night,pick up some ribs from Island BBQ and get settled in.On Thrusday we do what ever the girls want to do,mainly drink beer and shop.On Friday we go to the Amelia Island Plantation and pick up the tickets for the big party friday night,they have 3 or 4 big name bands and then spend the rest of the day in Jax.having fun.We do play tennis first thing every morning at the racket club.I quit playing golf 15 years ago,i took it to seriously.Two years ago my Brother-in Law was invited to join the Augusta National golf club,thats how my luck runs,but i do get tickets to the Masters,maybe we will run into eack other,i will be the one dressed in red and black.
    Larry

• YB, If interested, I'll find out where we will be tailgating. [p]CWM

• YB
    Car Wash MIke,
    When you find out where you are going to park let me know,we park about 1/2 mile from the stadium right down from the fair grounds.
    YB