Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Coal Storage

Options

Comments

• Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    edited April 2015
    Options
    White Castle sells pickle buckets too.

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    edited April 2015
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    Simple carbon lump doesn't absorb odors to any degree. Neither in fact does that ubiquitous box of baking soda in the fridge. Virtually no ability to absorb odor just by sitting there. 

Activated charcoal is something else ENTIRELY. It can ADsorb molecules. 

Activated charcoal has a surface area of something like 2000 square meters per gram. Way way way more than a stupid chunk of lump. And it's a mechanical or chemical bond that causes the adsorption. You have to force the thing you are filtering through it. It won't cause odors to magically get drawn to it and get sucked into it, filtering the air 

Sure it does......

I have a customer that many years ago (long before Rockwood), parked a 1/2 truckload of charcoal in an old Petco store.  Petco had gone belly up a year before and the property owner couldn't get a new renter because the store reeked of wet dog.  The 20,000# of charcoal left there pallet by pallet over the summer, and in six month when the charcoal was gone, so was the smell.  The building had a renter shortly thereafter and my guy lost his super cheap storage. 

Yes, activated "charcoal" is a different--comes from coal, not wood.  But only the super high quality stuff is upwards of 2000 m2/g.  Most is 500-1000 m2/g.  Lump charcoal (at least ours), is about 250 m2/g.

Never said anything about filtering, but it does absorb and hold onto things.  Got a lot of money wrapped up in lab testing on that right now......new  product coming out early next year.  Once it debuts those results/reports by a state university will be out on the website for all to view.

Assuming the charcoal absorbed the wet dog smell, would burning that same charcoal in a BGE make your food smell like wet dog?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:

Assuming the charcoal absorbed the wet dog smell, would burning that same charcoal in a BGE make your food smell like wet dog?
    That's what I asked him!!  He said he didn't have any complaints. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Crittercam
    Options
    A bit pricey, but wife accepted.  Looks nice: http://amzn.com/B004M290IA
    45 gallon bin.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mine's not rainproof. I store it in my garage about 20-30 feet away from the eggs. Works great, free, breathable, designer colors...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    Options
    You store rocks and insulation in that?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    henapple said:
    You store rocks and insulation in that?
    Well, I would, but i've never seen any of either. Been using it for the better part of 5 years now. Found a few pieces of wood that never quite made it to charcoal status, but other than that, no unknown crap.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    Options
    Royal Oak home delivery 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Nope. Tennessee home delivery. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    henapple said:
    This is my favorite pic I have ever seen on the forum. Or for all you Canadians, favourite pic.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    I have a walk-out basement and I store mine in the basement. My son stores his in a huge plastic container that has a lid that fits pretty tight. It is a container for patio stuff! 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    If you guys are going to extensive lengths to store lump you aren'tusing it   fast enough. My next place will be in a hopper with a shoot right down the hole in the dome. Anybody know who sells it by the ton. I had to buy another garbage can just for bags.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited April 2015
    Options
    supply running low, have not bought lump in almost a year!

canuckland
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    If you guys are going to extensive lengths to store lump you aren'tusing it   fast enough. My next place will be in a hopper with a shoot right down the hole in the dome. Anybody know who sells it by the ton. I had to buy another garbage can just for bags.
    Check with Berger Bros. Charcoal in Chicago. I saw every type of charcoal imaginable on their price sheet. I had to settle for Nature Glo in 40 lb. bags.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use a Rubbermaid deck box for all my grilling accessories. Most of my unopened lump charcoal is located in my basement or garage. Opened bags go in a rolling, air tight, storage bin, Any lump charcoal left over is rolled in the bag, in the deck box. Smoking wood stays in bags, also in the deck box. So far, so good. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Mine has been in a Suncast box for about six months. Works well, not air tight but keeps 99% of rain/snow out. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    BN thanks I will look into it. If I can figure out how to store it  and if the price is worth it I might
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options

What about putting damp rid in the box? 

Yeah, that's a good place to store them since the charcoal would keep them dry.  LOL.  That thing wouldn't last more than a few days outside anyway.

Seriously, charcoal is one of the best and cheapest desiccants & odor absorbers.  Lose the baking soda and put a chunk in the fridge.....after a week or two put in a new chunk and throw the old one in the BGE.

When I was a kid I worked on a charter boat and we kept an M1 carbine in a wooden box with half a dozen chunks of charcoal in an old cotton bag.

The rifle got cleaned and lightly oiled once a week and at the same time the charcoal got tossed and some new charcoal replaced it.

In the 5 years I worked on that boat I never saw a lick of rust on that rifle and it lived in salt air!
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I wish I was a smart as stike, yep, then I'd argue with the experts on every thing. 
    He's watching you know and he knows where you live. And, he has 'people' in case you weren't aware of it.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Sundown said:
    I wish I was a smart as stike, yep, then I'd argue with the experts on every thing. 
    He's watching you know and he knows where you live. And, he has 'people' in case you weren't aware of it.
    :bring_it: 
    ;)
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Guess I'm a little red... I leave the bag on the deck until I am done with it.  Then I throw the empty bag away and walk into the garage and get another.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I use one of the Kingsford charcoal containers next to the Egg - Holds about 1/2 a large bag of Rockwood - I store the big bags in the shed and only fill the small container when needed.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_235625-55883-00037_0__?productId=3598740

Garnerville, NY
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    Maybe I'm anal, but I've started sorting my bags when I open them into Large, Medium, and Small pieces that live in 5 gallon buckets. I find I build more consistent fires that way. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    Maybe I'm anal,

maybe I'm lazy
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    Maybe I'm anal, but I've started sorting my bags when I open them into Large, Medium, and Small pieces that live in 5 gallon buckets. I find I build more consistent fires that way. 
    Wowzer .. I do the exact same thing .. Three 5 gallon white buckets with lids  from Home Depot and sorted out according to the lump size. I saw someone mention this on a BGE Tips & Tricks video on YouTube and I've been doing that ever since :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    blukat said:
    Looking to get something to store my lump coal outdoors close to my egg.  Any rain proof recommendations?

Check out this thread for some great tips;
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1175620/storage-table-cabinet-for-eggcessories

(By the way, I have posted that response three times now!  Apparently if you make a hyperlink of that, which I tried, it sets off some flag and your post goes into a moderation black hole for all eternity)

LBGE/Maryland
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    I saw that method on a YouTube video. Made sense to me. That said.....
    New Albany, Ohio