Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So what is so great about Brisket

Options

Comments

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    I might just become a convert.  Just separated the flat from the point, and cut up the point for Burnt Ends.  Dipped a couple of those bite sized chunks in my homemade BBQ sauce.  Sweet Baby Jesus, I thought I had died and gone to Heaven 
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    I just had a massive brisket fail this weekend. Temps got away from me and the flat was pretty dry. Hardly a smoke ring to boot! Just reinforced my respect for those that consistently nail brisket. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    what is so great about this air thing we all breathe?  And water?!  Why drink it, it just makes you pee!  Thinking?   Makes my head spin, don't like to do it, makes me tired too.  What is spinning anyway?
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    I might just become a convert.  Just separated the flat from the point, and cut up the point for Burnt Ends.  Dipped a couple of those bite sized chunks in my homemade BBQ sauce.  Sweet Baby Jesus, I thought I had died and gone to Heaven 
    And, THAT is why we cook brisket.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • tfhanson
    Options
    Here are the Burnt Ends, damn they were good.
  • tfhanson
    Options

• tfhanson
    Options

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    tfhanson said:

Nicely done sir!  The burnt ends look fantastic.  I am glad you tried them.  As I said before, we call them meat candy.  I am glad it worked out and glad you enjoyed it.  How was the flat?  Did it pull apart easily? 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tfhanson
    Options
    Flat turned out delicous too. Very happy with the results.  I see many more briskets in the future.  Also a longer knife would be handy too.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    You're going the opposite direction.  If you want us to add Hansen to the likes of Franklin and Lewis, scratch the burnt ends and point separation.  Us Texas boys don't do that!  :tongue: 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    I hear Wholy Smoked is hiring!! :D

https://youtu.be/hGAP1DG_Vs8
  • tfhanson
    Options
    cazzy said:
    tfhanson said:
    You're going the opposite direction.  If you want us to add Hansen to the likes of Franklin and Lewis, scratch the burnt ends and point separation.  Us Texas boys don't do that!  :tongue: 
    Well you should, cause they are mighty good, but I hear you.
  • cazzy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    cazzy said:
    tfhanson said:
    Well you should, cause they are mighty good, but I hear you.
    Hell to the no!  I love the point as is!   Our brisket doesn't need sauce!  :tongue: 
  • tfhanson
    Options
    Is that video, the "Correct" way to carve one up?
  • cazzy
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    Yes...if you don't live in Texas.  
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It just occurred to me that maybe this should have been the title to A Franklin's new book: 'So what is so great about brisket'
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Leftovers! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    tfhanson said:
    Just in case...don't ever do that to a brisket.  Even if you're not from Texas!     ;)
  • tfhanson
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    tfhanson said:
    Just in case...don't ever do that to a brisket.  Even if you're not from Texas!     ;)
    Don't worry, I won't.  I watching and saying to myself, "Self, WTF is he doing scraping off all that bark? I don't think he trimed up that brisket beforehand."
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I concur.  Do you concur?
    Options
    I concur.  Do you concur?

I concur.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
      Do you concur?
    I do indeed.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Yes burnt ends, the food of the Gods. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @cazzy, I know I am going to start something hear, but not everyone cares how Texas does it.  I like it either way, but my favorite is burnt ends.  I don't usually put sauce on my burnt ends,  unless I am making the flat into them as SWMBO ask for them that way.  I just add a little more rub and back on the smoker at a little higher temp for about an hour.  Sauce is personal preference so I let others decide if it needs it or not, usually not.  Saying don't do burnt ends is like don't make pulled pork out of the money muscle on the pork butt.  =)

@tfhanson, do what you want, sliced or burnt ends.  Yes there is the Franklin way, but I learned from 8 time American Royal Grand Champion Chris Marks on how to make great brisket.  He also helped me learn how to make better pork butt and ribs.  You are doing just fine my friend.  Keep up the great work.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @cazzy, I know I am going to start something hear, but not everyone cares how Texas does it.  I like it either way, but my favorite is burnt ends.  I don't usually put sauce on my burnt ends,  unless I am making the flat into them as SWMBO ask for them that way.  I just add a little more rub and back on the smoker at a little higher temp for about an hour.  Sauce is personal preference so I let others decide if it needs it or not, usually not.  Saying don't do burnt ends is like don't make pulled pork out of the money muscle on the pork butt.  =)

@tfhanson, do what you want, sliced or burnt ends.  Yes there is the Franklin way, but I learned from 8 time American Royal Grand Champion Chris Marks on how to make great brisket.  He also helped me learn how to make better pork butt and ribs.  You are doing just fine my friend.  Keep up the great work.

I thought you were ladeback...relax and enjoy some of your superfast internets. As JIC would say, I was just giving him the business.    =)  mainly because he said he would be compared to Texas greats and showed non Texas BBQ.   That's why I brought up Texas you silly man    ;)

Nobody cares about stubby finger's championships and KC BBQ isn't real barbeuce!  :tongue: 
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    cazzy said:

I thought you were ladeback...relax and enjoy some of your superfast internets. As JIC would say, I was just giving him the business.    =)  mainly because he said he would be compared to Texas greats and showed non Texas BBQ.   That's why I brought up Texas you silly man    ;)

Nobody cares about stubby finger's championships and KC BBQ isn't real barbeuce!  :tongue: 
    I was giving it back to.  It just seems sometimes on here when it comes to brisket there is only one way, the Texas Way.  Heck back before I was egging I used to do a great brisket in the oven.  I am just busting your chops.  I like all kinds of BBQ, lately here is KC I have tried some of the places that the Food Network said where good and was very disappointed.  Heck its hard to go out for a good streak anymore, because most places can't compare to what I can do on the egg.  We mostly go out for Mexican, Italian and Chinese, but if get done how to use the wok it may be done to 2.  I do a pretty good lasagna too, but prefer other things when we do Italian.  His fingers may be stubby, but he sure makes some great BBQ.  

Question though, if now one cares why is there over 500 teams competing ever year for the Grand Championship of BBQ here in KC.  Each area of the country has there type; Texas is big on Beef, Tennessee, the Carolina's and Georgia are pork and KC to me seams to do beef, pork, and chicken.  

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tfhanson
    Options
    Remember all comments are okay as long as there is a winky face at the end.  ;)
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    Remember all comments are okay as long as there is a winky face at the end.  ;)
    OK.   ;)

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Everyone go F-themselves ;)

Did that work?