Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Adice on Egg for New Lake House

Options
I just put a contract on a shiny new house at the Lake.  My first purchase is going to be a new BGE.  I'm struggling.  I have a LBGE at home, but I'm wondering if I should go XL at the lake.  I anticipate having larger crowds there.  Most of the time, I'll be cooking simple stuff like burgers and hot dogs.  At home, it's typically just the wife and kids, so the Large is perfect.  I've heard the XL uses a lot more fuel and takes longer to heat up.  Thanks everybody.  

Comments

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you're making the case for both an XL and a MM.  Maybe you're dealer would make you a deal on two of them.  (I know... easy for me to say)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    An XL would be harder to steal as you're not there all the time. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I recently bought a mountain house and had this same decision. I ended up taking the Large to the mountains and keeping the XL and Small at home. I figure I am more likely to entertain more people where I live and want the versatility. Also, i don't want more people at my mountain house than I can feed using a Large.

Funny how long and hard I thought about that decision. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    I think @Crittercam is on point. The XL is the way to go at the lake house...

You have more guests at the lake house...and if you are planning on cooking burgers and such, the extra grid area will be nice!  

You really worried about a bag of $20 lump every other week when you are buying a vacation home?  I don't think that the lump cost should be a factor.  

Buy the XL....You will not regret it.   I wish I had!

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i find i dont cook much burgers and dogs at the lake house and lots of burgers is a greasey smokey adventure at most for an egg, after doing that a few times you wont want to do that again. im more apt to throw a cheap ham on or a pork butt over night, or a big potroast and dont think you wont want a gasser up there, really easy to cook a couple dozen ears of corn on a gasser =) big inexpensive pieces of meat are an easy cook, involve less actual work, and a large is plenty. i will repeat the first part again, cooking large quantities of burgers in an egg is no good =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    First world problems. If you will be entertaining more at the lake as compared to home go XL. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    i find i dont cook much burgers and dogs at the lake house and lots of burgers is a greasey smokey adventure at most for an egg, after doing that a few times you wont want to do that again. im more apt to throw a cheap ham on or a pork butt over night, or a big potroast and dont think you wont want a gasser up there, really easy to cook a couple dozen ears of corn on a gasser =) big inexpensive pieces of meat are an easy cook, involve less actual work, and a large is plenty. i will repeat the first part again, cooking large quantities of burgers in an egg is no good =)

I will beg to differ.  I think @fishlessman just made an argument for an XL with a raised, direct grid so you can get your burgers/dogs out of the flames - like the one shown on this thread:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1720757/#Comment_1720757

I don't have an AR, but I suspect there is a configuration that would work.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    My brother and sister in law have a lake house.  They have a gasser now.  I would recommend  the XL for them.  They get large crowds sometimes that a large just won't hack.  If all you plan are burgers and dogs, two loads on the large would work fine.  Or get a large for the lake and a mini max for home and haul the MM back and forth where you need it.  Thats what I do between my two houses. Lots of ways to skin that cat.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    if capacity for burgers and dogs is really what tips the decision, then get a simple weber kettle for those and pick the egg that's the right size for everything you would egg.  I'd rather cook burgers and dogs on a kettle anyway.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I will beg to differ.  I think @fishlessman just made an argument for an XL with a raised, direct grid so you can get your burgers/dogs out of the flames - like the one shown on this thread:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1720757/#Comment_1720757

I don't have an AR, but I suspect there is a configuration that would work.
    i dont think its the flames so much as the billowing grease smoke, burgers stunk, yard stunk, i will never do 30 something burgers again in my egg =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    The XL is close to the combined price of the Large + Mini Max and about the same area.  I would get a large for the lake and bring a Mini Max back and forth.  I like the Large and MM combo.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Xl is where it's at. I do tons of burgers using the woo. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    You would be good with the XL unless you invite @sgh to dinner.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    I have 2 larges at my lake house and take my mini back and forth;  this allows for some cooking variation options.  
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    If you are having large crowds and cooking burgers and dogs, nothing beats having a lot of cooking surface. A good griddle is great. Trying to get enough grid surface area in an egg for this purpose is tough. Maybe a LBGE supplemented with a gas griddle.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    dcc said:
    My brother and sister in law have a lake house.  They have a gasser now.  I would recommend  the XL for them.  They get large crowds sometimes that a large just won't hack.  If all you plan are burgers and dogs, two loads on the large would work fine.  Or get a large for the lake and a mini max for home and haul the MM back and forth where you need it.  Thats what I do between my two houses. Lots of ways to skin that cat.
    Are those cats done low and slow or turbo? direct raised grid or indirect?  :o

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    Usually low and slow indirect with an occasional raised direct for variety
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Get a large and a Weber (for the burgers and hotdogs).  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Grab a gas cooktop off craigslist and build a table for it.  Then you can use a burner for soups, sauces.  Toss a griddle over for pancakes in the mornings and doing hotdogs and burgers on the same griddle for the little ones while you do steaks, brats, etc on the egg.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have a LARGE at my Lake house and with the AR R & B Combo its meets almost all my needs.  What I need is a bigger lake house!  One piece of advice.  I bought a duck cover for it so no-one can tell there's a BGE under the brown cover.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE