Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and beef ribs and pork ribs and wings

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,842

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Damn. That's a lot of options and they look killer!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I'm still struggling with the pics on the new software, but suffice it to say - yesterday was a good day.

Started with the brisket Friday night at 11 PM.  It came off 12 hours later and we just let the egg keep running and put the ribs on.  We cooked the wings (sorry no finished pics) on the ProQ for raised direct heat.

The brisket was a very lean 9 pound packer.  The sliced pics are actually of the point meat after the flat was sliced off.  But the flat was also moist.  My brother-in-law and his wife who are visiting from Massachusetts were impressed.  It's nice to hit more than one home run in a day.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks excellent man!  Where did you get the beef ribs from?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Looks like your set for the week!
    McKinney, TX
  • Foghorn
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "Looks excellent man! Where did you get the beef ribs from?"

Bolner's in South San Antonio.  They could have been twice as long, but I had them cut because @SGH wasn't joining us.

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brisket, wings, ribs and ribs, 4 of my all time favorites!! Brother you did a excellent job from take off to touch down. It all looks spot on. The quality is no doubt there, but the quantity really has my attention and respect. This is the type cook that I proudly give the double SGH award. Outstanding job sir.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    @SGH, I was thinking this cook was right up your alley.  I'm ashamed to admit that we had leftovers.

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    we had leftovers.
    WHAT!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^
    Im going to pretend that I didn't read that ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    We had 31 pounds of meat and 7 people.  We could have done it if it were 7 of me, but the octogenarians and women didn't pull their weight. 

San Antonio, TX

• Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    OMG! That's impressive. As this is my first full Egging season I can't wait to have a big family get together. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Lots o meat!

Eggaroo said:
    OMG! That's impressive. As this is my first full Egging season I can't wait to have a big family get together. 
    There's a season?  :o
  • SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    but the octogenarians and women didn't pull their weight. 
    This is usually the culprit^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• Foghorn
    Options
    @Eggaroo, welcome aboard.  Are you located up north somewhere?   It's always grilling season in Texas.

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hi, my name is foghorn and I'm a show off.
  • SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
       It's always grilling season in Texas.
    In Dixie as well  B)

Status- Standing by.

• Foghorn
    Options
    Hi, my name is foghorn and I'm a show off.

@Eggcelsior, to be called that around here is quite a compliment.  THANK YOU!

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice work @Foghorn 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    As long as I'm showing off, here's a few more pics.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Double seal earned from brother @SGH....no doubt its a win. Congrats on the achievement.
    Seattle, WA
  • Foghorn
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Double seal earned from brother @SGH....no doubt its a win. Congrats on the achievement.

@SkinnyV, thanks.  I think the double seal is like prime.  Reserved for the top 1%.  I feel like I should draft an acceptance speech. (Don't worry - I won't).

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This is great! What is the paste on the ribs?
  • Foghorn
    Options
    This is great! What is the paste on the ribs?

For the beef ribs, Montreal Steak Seasoning with a little garlic powder added - then enough Worcestershire Sauce to make it a paste.

On the pork ribs we just did a dry rub of Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk cut with some Dizzy Dust as some of our crowd finds straight Jamaican Firewalk too hot.

San Antonio, TX

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    I think this is the first post that has me actually salivating. The brisket got me. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @mgd_egg.  The good folks here have brought me a long way.  It's a group effort. 

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You only had leftover meat because you failed to invite enough of us over. Damn nice cook man. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    That looks awesome!

Options
     Thank you @paqman.

@Mickey, yeah right.  Like I would ever introduce you to the rest of my family. :)

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks like you were teaching a BBQ class. Nice work!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.