Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt - Why you gotta be so dry?

Options
Did a turbo butt today.  about a 6 1/2 bone in butt.  350 dome about 325 grate temp.  PS legs up, drip pan.  Took about 6 1/2 hours almost exactly 1 hour per pound.  Butt(see what I did there?), it was pretty dry.  I didn't foil at the stall just left it as is.  So far, I think my favorite is low and slow, but that's too much time to devote.  2nd best is low and slow until the stall, then foil and finish that way, bumping up the temp as needed so we can eat at a decent dinner hour.
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I foil also at 150-160
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I've done turbos, and they're not dry. Maybe I got lucky the couple of times, but at those hoher temps, be sure not to overshoot the probe test. The carry over cook on a turbo will be more than normal. I like to pull at 190-195 on turbos and let rest in a foil tent(not sealed) for a little while. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Me thinks you have a gauge calibration problem. I only do turbos now and never had a dry one. At 350 indirect mine are done without any foil at 40 to 45 minutes per pound, butt after butt after butt! 6.5 butt for 6.5 hours would mean dry in my book!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    You're probably right it was close to 200 IT but probing nicely, so by the time I took it off it was still cooking away and just dried out.  I have to admit I was a bit inattentive watching Golf...
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Dry butt is still waaayyyy better than dry brisket. You just skipped to the leftover stage...sauce it and heat in a covered foil pan.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I do turbos a few times a month and they never seem to be dry.  I think it may have been the butt. Next time if you find it dry mix some apple juice with with your rub heat it up a little to dissolve the rub and mix in.  Anyway that's my 2 cents, bust of luck on your next turbo.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Ditto have never had a dry one and have done turbo at 350.  I cooked two 8 pounders today,  275 till the stall, then foiled and cranked to 350.  About 6-1/2 hours total. very moist
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY