Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer hind quarter

Doing a hind quarter tomorow, wrapping in bacon, little salt and pepper, Cajun rub, was wondering how long to cook for, I like the low and slow(225) . Could use some tips please!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Here is some I did back in December at work. You can look through it and get some general info. Hope it helps and wish you good luck. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1175258/a-bge-forum-fan-asked-a-favor#latest

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SGH said:
    KiterTodd said:
    Wow!   How was everything?
    It was a over whelming success. I took the time to inject everything with butter to keep it from drying out. Even then smoking venison shoulders can be a catastrophe if you don't monitor it real close. I pulled the shoulders and forearm at 138 internal, the hams at 145 internal and the loins at 150. I know that probably sounds high for the loins but they were heavily stuffed with cheese, peppers and raw bacon and then wrapped entirely in bacon. It worked out very well, especially to be cooking at work with limited access to stuff. If time would have permitted, I would have done the front shoulders a little different but all went very well. 

daffy1909 said:
    Doing a hind quarter tomorow, 
    How is it coming along^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Been curious about how you decided to cook it. Again, good luck.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    It's coming along goodSGH! Temp holding at 225, been on since 9 this am, hit the stall at 150, gonna pull off at 165, wrapped it in bacon salt and pepper, put some whe cloves of garlic inside, and injected with butter!! Thanks!
  • SGH
    I'm hoping that you post this cook. Good luck and standing by for the finale.

Status- Standing by.

• daffy1909
    Finally done!!! 71/2 hours!!=) can't wait to eat!!!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Looks fantastic!  Can't wait to see a sliced pic plated. Nice work !
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Looks like a first round knockout to me :clap: 

Status- Standing by.

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    I have always wanted to try that, nice job!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• SGH
    @daffy1909- Your thoughts? 

Status- Standing by.

• Nicely done! How was it? I've done some small roasts before and over cooked them, venison is tricky.
  • daffy1909
    Turned out great!!!! Very tender!! Great smoke ring, the bacon helped to keep it moist and added flavour!! Could passed it off as beef, no wild taste at all!! Can't wait to do it again!!!
  • SGH
    daffy1909 said:
    Turned out great!!!! Very tender!! Great smoke ring, the bacon helped to keep it moist and added flavour!! Could passed it off as beef, no wild taste at all!! Can't wait to do it again!!!
    Glad to hear this my friend.

Status- Standing by.