Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket in 8 hours?

Options
i didn't look at the weight trimmed. But it's a full packer and I didn't trim much.  250 dome. Went on at 8am. 4am my son wakes up. I check the iGrill ... 204. Dome temp still 250. I ftc'd and going back to bed.  Breakfast is going to be interesting

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @TonyA I've never had one finish that quickly but sounds like breakfast is going to be kicked up a notch.  

If you can, make some hash with it.  I try and use the shredded potatoes, but any will do.  I think you have be pleasantly surprised!

Lastly, instead of using the moist tender portions of the flat/point.  Try and use a part that is a little dryer, the oil from cooking the potatoes will help moisten it back up and you won't feel like you're wasting the good parts either.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Check your thermos folks. Especially if you are just digging out of 8 feet of snow.  40 deg off...
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Brisket is a funny creature.  I once did a 13 pound packer in 7 hours at 240 with an accurate thermometer.  It was great.  Just early. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TonyA
    Options
    All is well...  Although I will say this.  If there was an award for no smoke ring.  I would win it. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Conventional wisdom says don't sweat the smoke ring.  With that being said, the next time I do a brisket I'm going to use much more smoke wood almost like one would in an offset smoker and see what happens to the appearance and taste.

Most importantly, that food looks fantastic.  Well done sir.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TonyA
    Options
    thanks foghorn. There is what id say the right amount of smoke flavor here. I have a drum smoker that delivers a great smoke ring but many folks find the direct cooked flavor acrid. I was happy to get back out there. 
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I did a 18 pounder in 7 hours but I did it at high heat intentionally. My last three briskets were all high heat 300 to 350 degrees and I'm pretty sure I won't go back to L&S for my briskets. 
    Dearborn MI
  • TonyA
    Options
    Even as a reheat, I would say the quick cook worked out just fine. 
  • KenfromMI
    Options
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Had about 1/4 thick smoke ring on this one. High heat with pecan and cherry.
    Dearborn MI
  • TonyA
    Options
    yeah ... mine there is pecan and apple... love pecan ... i've been playing around with airflow .. trying to get more oxygen into the egg ... really closing down the top vent and opening the bottom .. nothing seems to change it much.  What do you use for charcoal?
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    If you promise not to tell all the guys that say its a sin and it won't work I just started using the same charcoal in my egg that I use in my WSM..... Kingsford Competition Briquettes...........Yep I said it, Briquettes. LOL...........Ive only used it for my last two cooks which were both briskets.
    Dearborn MI
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    If you promise not to tell all the guys that say its a sin and it won't work I just started using the same charcoal in my egg that I use in my WSM..... Kingsford Competition Briquettes...........Yep I said it, Briquettes. LOL...........Ive only used it for my last two cooks which were both briskets.
    As long as it doesn't have lighter fluid in them you should be ok.  Briquettes just burn down to fast for me and and to much ash.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • TonyA
    Options
    Interesting ... briquettes do form a better smoke ring than lump .. i don't remember the science .. 
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    @Ladeback69 , you think briquettes burn fast?  I haven't tried them in my egg with a L&S yet but I can get 18 hours out of them in my 18in WSM depending on the wind. How long can you get out of lump in you egg? I like them because I never get the VOC smell from them like lump as well. I have Rockwood lump I use as also. I also have an after market fire grate someone on here recommended. I can remember the name of it off hand though. Before each cook I just reach my hand through the access door and wiggle my fingers in the grate and knock down the extra ash. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    @Ladeback69 , you think briquettes burn fast?  I haven't tried them in my egg with a L&S yet but I can get 18 hours out of them in my 18in WSM depending on the wind. How long can you get out of lump in you egg? I like them because I never get the VOC smell from them like lump as well. I have Rockwood lump I use as also. I also have an after market fire grate someone on here recommended. I can remember the name of it off hand though. Before each cook I just reach my hand through the access door and wiggle my fingers in the grate and knock down the extra ash. 
    Well the longest brisket cook I have had is about 14 hours in my XL and I still had more then enough for a few 700 degree steak cooks out of the load of lump and the heat heat cooks burn it up faster.  I have never tested how long I could go on a L&S, but my guess would be at least 24 hours.  I may have to get a 20 pound brisket and test it out.  The last time my neighbor used my 22.5 WSM to do a brisket he cooked for 16 hours he had to add lump a couple times.  Now I never did.  I don't think he knew how much he could put in it.  The Egg will retain heat well at L&S, there for it doesn't burn the lamp as fast.  
    I take it your 18 hour cook on the WSM was doing the warm season.  You would go through more when its cold.  Give the egg a try, but remember you don't need a water pan like in the WSM when doing a L&S.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Ive used lump for L&S on my large egg. I just meant I never tried a L&S in it with briquettes yet to see the difference in length of burn.
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Do you just keep adding your fresh lump on top of the partially burned lump in your egg? I also found with the WSM its not so much the outside temperature as it is the wind that consumes fuel. I used it year round for 9 years before receiving my egg. The egg definitely isn't bothered as much by wind for sure.
    Dearborn MI
  • Foghorn
    Options
    "Do you just keep adding your fresh lump on top of the partially burned lump in your egg?"

Yes. 

San Antonio, TX