Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TipTopTemp controller user question

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
Today my TTT arrived and since I like gadgets I'll keep it, though I'm not sure just why I thought it would be worth the new going price of $29.95 - but that's another issue! LOL 

It is a simple device with a coiled spring attached to a 2" diameter damper with a knob on one end. The knob has graduations from 0 to 9, but the furtherest it will turn is 7, but that's ok as I'm sure it's just an off the shelf knob. The instructions say to set the dial at 1-2 for low, 3-4 for med and 5-6 for high. At 3.5 the damper is vertical which I would think is as open as it could ever be since by 5 it is shutting down the damper the other way and as I said 7 is as far as it opens which BTW is the same amout of opening as 1.5. Are you starting to understand my questioning? LOL.
Next - I'm no engineer, but I assume the coil string is like any other metal spring so as it gets hotter it will expand. In this case I would assume even at a low 1 or 2 setting the hotter the coil gets the more it will open..right, engineers? So at a 5 or 6 setting it is already beyond wide open which occurred clear back at a cold 3.5. 
Any help understanding the principle of how a heated coiled spring will contract instead of expand would be appreciated! Also for happy TTT users what is your experience of dome temperatures at these 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 settings? Thanks in advance! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here for instance is the damper open at #2 - which is "low"

But then here is 5.5 which is high - but isn't #2 about the same as #5.5? Get my drift? In fact to me #2 will get to a higher temperature than a #5.5

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ya know Ron there are high end electronic devices that can do the same job for ten times the money.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Options
    Ya know Ron there are high end electronic devices that can do the same job for ten times the money.
    LOL - I know that Steve! And I have a couple! I just wanted to show this low tech, low price after market item to an up coming class. My experience has been the males will rush out and buy a new $300 toy (which isn't needed per see) but the wives in attendance will opt for something cheaper. I just wanted to present an alternative if I could.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Not sure but I think there is only one "e" in per se. Just sayin'

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Well, as you are looking at it while at room temp, I'm sure it will be different at exhaust heat temps.  It is a bi-metal coil, which means it could contract at temp, not expand.  one side expands faster than the other side which is how a bi-metal coil works.  I'm interested in finding out your operational results, as after hearing about this device, I'm considering it for my second egg when I buy it as I plan to use it where it would be nice not to need 110VAC for a BBQ Guru controller.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Zmokin nailed it, in that the flapper will move when the bi-metal spring heats up.  Remember the old time heat riser in the exhaust manifolds?  When the engine was cold, the flapper was closed ... when the engine warmed up the flapper would open.  Suspect that your TTT works on the same principle, except you get to set the "warm" open position with the dial. 

From your pictures, I'm guessing that the flapper will rotate counterclockwise when it starts to heat up.  In the first picture it will rotate more closed than it is now.  In the second picture, it will rotate counterclockwise opening up the vent more ... and then closing it down a little.

If the knob looks like it will take the heat, you could experiment with it in your oven.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    I agree with @Jeepster47 and @Zmokin on this.

It looks like a pretty cool little contraption.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I have used mine twice now so have a little experience with it. Yes it does close the flap valve (counterclockwise) as the temperature increases and vice versa as temperature falls. What I did was start the Egg and watch the thermometer until it got close to the temp I wanted. I then rotated the knob ccw to pretty much close the flapper. I let it stabilize for a bit and watched what the temp was showing and made minor adjustments to get it where I wanted it. You will see the flapper opening and closing on its own as gusts of wind come up or subside. It seems to be easy to control at 250-275°. When I tried to go lower the coals seemed to extinguish, but my XL really never seemed to run well at 225 before so not a big surprise. Since 250-275 works well for most of my cooks on the XL I am pleased with its' operation. I have yet to try it on my medium but it may work better at 225 as the M will run there a bit better than the XL.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Zmokin
    Options
    I presume this fits on top of the Egg with no added contraptions.

I seem to recall on another topic, first one I saw for this device, it was mentioned that it fits on the Smokeware base, but I'm presuming the Smokeware base is not necessary.

• bettysnephew
    Options
    It doesn't really fit on the SW base, it just sits inside it and keeps it from falling off if the lid is lifted. I suspect it will work just sitting on the lid, but there will be nothing to hold it in place.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @RRP- You are going old school in the modern age.  Love it!  I believe @fishlessman or another seasoned poster has a device that works on the same principle.  If this works out I may move into the regulated low&slow cook arena.  Best of luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Zmokin
    Options
    It doesn't really fit on the SW base, it just sits inside it and keeps it from falling off if the lid is lifted. I suspect it will work just sitting on the lid, but there will be nothing to hold it in place.
    That is interesting and maybe a little disappointing.  Doesn't the big rubber band hold it on the dome?

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    If you don't have a Smokeware cap, then duct tape probably shouldn't be used to hold it on the top.  But, a ring of heavy duty aluminum foil would probably work to hold it in position.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    Options
    One thing for certain is my SmokeWare cap is due for its annual clean up with Easy-Off oven cleaner. The inside neck has so much creosote build up that the TTT won't be slipping inside without making a fuss! LOL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @RRP- You are going old school in the modern age.  Love it!  I believe @fishlessman or another seasoned poster has a device that works on the same principle.  If this works out I may move into the regulated low&slow cook arena.  Best of luck.
    Of course, isn't a kamado cooker itself a very old school device? 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bettysnephew
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    That is interesting and maybe a little disappointing.  Doesn't the big rubber band hold it on the dome?
    It does not. The base of the controller is smaller than the outside part that normally supports the daisy wheel. It would sit on top of the dome with about 1/4" of the ceramic lip extending past the bottom edge of the controller. Basically the bottom of the controller will be in the center of the dome protrusion with ceramic extending both inside and outside the circumference of the metal base.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Dang-I hate that when size does matter :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    It does not. The base of the controller is smaller than the outside part that normally supports the daisy wheel. It would sit on top of the dome with about 1/4" of the ceramic lip extending past the bottom edge of the controller. Basically the bottom of the controller will be in the center of the dome protrusion with ceramic extending both inside and outside the circumference of the metal base.
    I take it then, the metal doesn't sit on the Egg, just the rubberband.  The directions say the band should be 80% on the device and that leaves 20% to extend below the metal.  I might have to see about getting a wider silicone rubber band to do what I thought the existing Grifiti band would do.

• RRP
    edited April 2015
    Options

Zmokin said:
      I might have to see about getting a wider silicone rubber band to do what I thought the existing Grifiti band would do.
    How about using a Grifiti "cross" band? That way one part would hold the TTT tight and the other would be tight on the dome. I tried to post a link, but because the web site uses the word "a s s"
    in it the software banded my post!!!
  • Zmokin
    Options
    The cross band might work, but I was hoping to find a 1 to 1.5 inch wide band.
    I found some one inch bands, but I think they may be too small diameter to work.  The search goes on.

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

The Grafiti band on the Tiptop is .625" and it's too narrow to hold the controller on my LBGE.  All the cross bands I see on the internet are the same width with the exception of the bracelet size but they're not large enough diameter to work.  I called Tiptop and the guy I spoke with acknowledged they don't fit well on BGE's.  Nice of them to say that on their website.  He told me they're "working on it" and asked me to e-mail a picture to him so he could see what I was talking about.  

I have only the ceramic cap and daisy wheel and this thing's useless to me.  A wider 6" band would do the trick.  I'm going to check Home Depot and see if I can find some type of belt and see if that might work. 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Why. Works just fine w/o one at all. At least in the 6 I have owned and the 4 I have on the porch. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    RRP said:
    Here for instance is the damper open at #2 - which is "low"

But then here is 5.5 which is high - but isn't #2 about the same as #5.5? Get my drift? In fact to me #2 will get to a higher temperature than a #5.5

Is it compatible with Android or Iphone OS?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Zmokin
    Options
    lkapigian said:Is it compatible with Android or Iphone OS?
    No, it only works with original dial telephones.  It is not push button compatible.  You will need to have the knowledge of how to operate one of these if you want to use this device.

• bettysnephew
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If it is set at 5.5 the flap will move counterclockwise as it heats up until it is wide open, then it will continue in that same direction and begin to close off the opening until it reaches a temperature that puts it in equilibrium with the 5.5 setpoint. I have no idea what that temp will be, but I'd bet it is quite high.  If it is set at 2, it is already partially closed and will close further as the temp increases rather than going full open as it passes center. Trust me on this, 5.5 will be a much hotter regulated temp than 2. As I indicated in an earlier post, get the temperature where you want it to regulate and turn the knob counterclockwise until the flap is almost closed. Check back in a few minutes and see if you need to adjust up (clockwise) or down (counterclockwise) to reach your desired temperature.
    <Turn right alot it gets real hot!>
     Give it a chance I think it will surprise you how well such a simple device can work.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Why. Works just fine w/o one at all. At least in the 6 I have owned and the 4 I have on the porch. 

Do you just set it on top without holding it in place?

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• RRP
    Options
    Webass said:

Do you just set it on top without holding it in place?
    That's what they say! That large scilicone band is supposed to hang off a bit and that would act as a cushoning gasket.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    lkapigian said:Is it compatible with Android or Iphone OS?
    No, it only works with original dial telephones.  It is not push button compatible.  You will need to have the knowledge of how to operate one of these if you want to use this device.

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian