Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Business opportunity? ..or fool's errand?

Options
Calling on Engineers, Designers and Entrepreneurs

Something to ponder (UNLESS this product already exists)

O.K., let's see if this makes sense...

On a couple of recent cooks (chicken wings, pizza, meatloaf, etc.) I've had to rotate what's on the grill because of "hot spots" or just because by design the egg seems to get hotter in the rear center...

It occurred to me that it would be nice to have some sort of a ring that you could place either on top of (or below) the fire ring or the upturned place setter legs that would give a "lazy susan" effect to the grill, so that you could just rotate the grill during a cook.

My first thought was maybe a 1/2 inch wide u shaped channel filled with ball bearings with a slightly wider u shaped channel as a "cap" that the grill could sit on and rotate...  but I don't have any expertise in this area so I don't know anything about the effects of temperature, expansion, contraction, and probably a whole lot of other factors I haven't even thought of (but I DO KNOW what Shinola is!).

I just figured that if it could be designed and produced for a reasonable price it might be a useful addition to my growing collection of Egg add-on's.

Note: If feasible you could also make a smaller diameter model that could sit on the plate setter (when the legs are down)...place the grill on top to get the same effect?

P.S.  If you DO it, and make lots of money... remember me in your will :)
San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
     I understand what you are getting at, kinda like going for the rotisserie effect, but on a different axis.  It could work for probeless cooks, but those of us you like to use probes and monitor internal meat temp, going round & round isn't conducive to remote monitoring with probes.  I do see the benefit for direct and raised direct with a grate covered in chicken wings etc.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    ....kinda like going for the rotisserie effect, but on a different axis...
    It really hadn't entered my mind to have it in constant motion (like your microwave oven).  My thought was more to open the lid, turn the grill 1/4 or 1/2 turn and close it up again.  It would only take a few seconds to reposition the cook.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Think SS Mercedes emblem same size as the grid, underneath the grid and pinned together in the center. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    If you have a woo you can just grab handles and spin a 1/4 or 1/2. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Simple 2.99 set of tongs do the same thing. Remember grilling and cooking should be relaxing. Enjoy the cook.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I like your idea. Our How about a ring of ball bearings between the fire ring and fire box?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    Zmokin said:
    ....kinda like going for the rotisserie effect, but on a different axis...
    It really hadn't entered my mind to have it in constant motion (like your microwave oven).  My thought was more to open the lid, turn the grill 1/4 or 1/2 turn and close it up again.  It would only take a few seconds to reposition the cook.
    OK, now I comprendo.  So, I think @grege345 has the right suggestion, buy a woo and a pair of gloves.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    +1 on the Woo...  I do that all the time
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    I don't know... I guess "a Woo and a pair of gloves" would work but then I guess my plate lifter slipped over the edge of the grill might work too.  They just assail my vision of the elegant simplicity of being able to turn the grilling surface quickly with an easy touch of your tongs (or a wooden stick for that matter).

Where's nolaegghead? as I remember, he's an engineer (or was it a chemist?) maybe he'd know if it was doable... Haven't seen him on here today. Not since "the powers behind the curtain" deleted his thread from yesterday...

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    +1 with @UncleFred.  I have a Woo for my XL (no handles), it is easy to rotate the grill on it, though I have never felt the need to.  

My Small also has a woo but with handles, and I do rotate that one as the fire can be spotty on direct cooks.  I have also on occasion grabbed a set of tongs and moved the food around on the grate =)
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I use my woo just like @grege345 described.  I like the way your thinking.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wouldn't a pair of channel locks work? Grab a bar of the grid,  spin,  done? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    caliking said:
    Wouldn't a pair of channel locks work? Grab a bar of the grid,  spin,  done? 
    Yes and I always use my GridLifter. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    The woo ring is made for this among other things

but i hav a regular grid sitting below the felt line on the fire ring. Basic stock set up. When i want to spin the whole thing, i grab the grid at the perimeter with the tongs, or a spatula, ash tool, whatever tool is in my hand at the moment. And i spin it. Whether food's on it or not

no ball bearings, no gloves, no channel lock pliers, not special fabrication or patents required. 

Frankly can't imagine anything easier. Is there really an issue?  I mean, maybe if i had four pork butts on there, but they'd be indirect at that point