Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What went wrong with my cook Help me figure this out.

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
Fired up the egg held steady at 275 for several hours. Temp dropped to just under 220. Cleared some ash and temp was stable at 250.  Brisket was ok but not like my offset or UDS....no smoke ring to speak of and was a little less moist than expected.  It wasn't dry by any means just thought it would be better. Picks of the brisket to follow. 
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• ryantt
    Options

• thegooddocta
    thegooddocta Posts: 264
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Did you FTC it? What temp did you pull it at? Did you slice the whole thing or just a few pieces at a time? All of these are factors in how moist it will be. Brisket is a complicated mistress no matter how you look at it though - huge variations in cooks from one packer to the next.
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I see a smoke ring there. And yeah, all cuts are different. I totally help you eat that meal!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • ryantt
    Options
    @thegooddocta fry for about and 1hr and then sliced what we needed to get everyone started. Started checking it at around 180 to see if it was getting close, pulled it off at 193 and went ftc. It proved with no resistance at at. 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Looks fine to me.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• thegooddocta
    Options
    @ryantt - that's too bad - sounds like you took the same approach i do! It looks great so maybe it was just this particular brisket!
  • ryantt
    Options
    @bluebird66 I had high hopes as in not a brisket rookie by any stretch of the imagination. Set up like my UDS minus the water pan. Just didn't get the ring I was looking for.  Not sure why, everyone thought it was great....but I was disappointed in presentation with such a small smoke ring 

• ryantt
    Options
    On a positive the spuds were the best I've ever made. Love my lodge Dutch.  

• thegooddocta
    Options
    Another thought @ryantt - I seem to get a better ring with cherry chunks vs other wood chunks... If it's that ring you're looking for most - maybe try some cherry?
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    I've yet to do my first brisket, but it will happen soon.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @ryantt being this is not your first brisket just a few questiins.

What wood did you use for smoke? I have good success with oak and cherry mix for brisket. The oak for flavor and cherry gives a nice smoke ring for visual.

Also did you use a injection? Yeah this is a can of worms on the forum but yes I always inject.

Finally how long did you leave it rest before slicing? I like to go 30 min. Minimum but prefer 1 hour.

I know this probably did not help a whole lot but just something to think about.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You were running the egg at 275º. What temps do you cook at with your offset and UDS?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I know this is a broken record I keep playing, but you do not have to FTC your brisket.  FTC is not part of a recipe and is really meant to be used when you're done well before your serving time and need to hold.

In fact...FTC is risky and is a tool that constantly is misused.  If you take a perfect piece of jiggly brisket and wrap it in several layers of foil, then toss it a cooler (possibly preheated), then you're likely intensifying the carry over.  "My brisket was perfect, nice and jiggly".  Then "I don't know what happens, it's dry".  That's pretty common to me.

Next time you pull it off perfect, just toss on a cutting board till it's cool enough to handle.  Likely 45min to 1 hour.

Rant over...nice cuts!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Smoke ring is just for looks, let's be honest
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    True, but still impresses the crowd. Visual presentation contributes to the meal.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ryantt
    Options
    @badinfluence I us d hickey and cherry for wood injected it with beef stock and some of the rub dissolve in it.  Took it out of the cooler after 45min and let set 30 min befor we sliced it.  

@cazzy I've always used the cooler to help hold it, never preheated it. Next time I may just go to the board and let it rest.  

@Miked125 I know the ring is just for looks but man I love to see a nice ring.  

@jtcBoynton I always run the off set in the same temp range.  I know the eggs a totally different animal, but you'd think it would have sone of the same basics.

just glad it wasn't a SRF brisket...I tried first.  Oh well I'll have to try another one in the next week or two.  

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @badinfluence I us d hickey and cherry for wood injected it with beef stock and some of the rub dissolve in it.  Took it out of the cooler after 45min and let set 30 min befor we sliced it.  

@cazzy I've always used the cooler to help hold it, never preheated it. Next time I may just go to the board and let it rest.  

@Miked125 I know the ring is just for looks but man I love to see a nice ring.  

@jtcBoynton I always run the off set in the same temp range.  I know the eggs a totally different animal, but you'd think it would have sone of the same basics.

just glad it wasn't a SRF brisket...I tried first.  Oh well I'll have to try another one in the next week or two.  
    Clean fire with a draft vs smoldering fire without a draft.  Different animal is a gross understatement.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    ryantt said:
    just glad it wasn't a SRF brisket...I tried first.  
    Rather you believe this or not, the Waygu is far easier to cook to desired standards than a select or choice. They are considerably more forgiving if you happen to over cook or under cook them slightly due to the extreme marbling. If you are even in the ball park with your doneness level, they will still be well above average. This is usually not the case with select or choice short of working a little voodoo or mojo.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ryantt
    Options
    @SGH just would have hated to be disappointed with that expensive of a brisket.  have cooked them in the UDS and offset and are far better for sure. 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have been to a lot of high-profile bbq places that didn't have a smoke ring that good. 
  • SGH
    Options
    ryantt said:
    have cooked them in the UDS and offset and are far better for sure. 
    If I may ask, what type offset do you run?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• badinfluence
    Options
    There is NO doubt I cook my brisket better on my other cooker and not the egg for sure.

The egg is a wonderful all around cooker but there are most definitely better cookers for smoking.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • ryantt
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @SGH yoder offset 20'' model  It's a real workhorse. 

• ryantt
    Options
    @badinfluence I just had high hopes, the wife keeps telling me it was a great tasting brisket but I was disappointed. Was hoping it would have been an equal product so that I could sell offset and use the money to buy some other toys.  

• badinfluence
    Options
    @ryantt there is a reason most comp. Cookers are offset. I have seen BGE at comp cooks bit they don't seem to do well at judging. Now that could be how they are cooking as I have never tried taking any to a comp cook as they are heavy to move where my monster is a tow behind.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Was hoping it would have been an equal product so that I could sell offset 
    There is some fantastic food cooked everyday on every conceivable type of smoker and cooker out there. No question of it. With that said, allow me to offer my opinion on the final yield. If your forte is that deep, heavy smoke infused taste, then you will be hard pressed to truly ever equal it on anything that does not "burn" wood as its main fuel source. You can approach it, but not quite equal it without the smoke taste becoming bitter. The amount and depth that can be laid down with a clean burning offset just can not be equaled on anything else. On a separate note, not everyone prefers the real heavily smoked food. This is where the other types of units begin to shine. Lightly smoked food, ease of use, extended burn times, considerably more fuel efficient, set it and forget, etc,etc..... They certainly have their place in the cooking world. With all that said, if you are accustom to eating off a wood fired offset, then you will probably always be just a little disappointed in meat cooked on anything else. Just is what it is my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    And for the record, you should never sale a offset!!

Status- Standing by.

• ryantt
    Options
    @SGH thanks for all the feed back, I think I just have to remember the learning curve of my new cooker.  I've enjoyed the "sport" of bbq for a long time and have forgotten how bad I was when i started. I think I'll grab a brisket in the next week or so and give it another go. I may not have put enough wood in to get the flavor I wanted.  Just wondering, it seemed like I have moisture by the bottom damper is that possible...

• SGH
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I think I just have to remember the learning curve of my new cooker.  

it seemed like I have moisture by the bottom damper is that possible...
    This is key on any smoker. Learning how to tweak it and get the absolute most performance out of it. I have been test firing Unit #1 and my PBC, trying to equal the smoke of my offsets. I have got it down pretty good and don't think the untrained tongue or average Joe Q could pick it apart. However I still can. I can equal the look, but not quite there on the smoke and texture. I don't think that I can get the smoke any closer but I'm hoping that the outside texture will get a little closer to offset quality.

And yes, when running low temps under heavy load you certainly can have moisture accumulation around the vent. 

Status- Standing by.