Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pastrami cook

Options
Got a corned beef brisket the other day.  Soaked it for 60hrs.  3 water swaps.  Last one I added garlic powder and coriander to the water.

Drained, dryed, and trimmed.  Rubbed with coariander, pepper corns, onion powder, garlic, and santa maria.

Wrapped in plastic and resting in the fridge.

Planning on 230 tomorrow in the medium till 160 then wrap in foil to finish.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Will be standing by for the finale with fork in hand.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Options
    Looks and sounds wonderful!!!!!
    Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Yep, that sounds awesome.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Your gonna love it
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    Threw the meat on this morning.  Got lazy and just put cherry on.  Didn't feel like cutting up and debarking my apple.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Still standing by.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Me too ;) .... lets just say lots of things smell awesome while cooking but this one is near the top.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Is that like the Kroger "corned beef"? I almost bought one other day but don't fully understand the brisket to corned beef to pastrami transformation but I love pastrami. 

Excited to see yours!

XLBGE 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Threw the meat on this morning.  Got lazy and just put cherry on.  Didn't feel like cutting up and debarking my apple.

OK, this is the 2nd time I have seen a large slab o'meat with the probe stuck in part way from the top.  I have always felt it best to get as much of the probe inside the meat with the tip as close to the center as possible so on cuts like this, I insert my probe from the end and bury it as far as it will go.

So, I guess I'm wondering is there a preferred approach to inserting the probe? or am I just anally crazy?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Zmokin 
    I insert my probe from the end and bury it as far as it will go.

That's how I roll too. 

XLBGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Zmokin 
    I insert my probe from the end and bury it as far as it will go.

That's how I roll too. 
    This could go so many different directions!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Some just can only probe so far....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I like the probe idea.  Truthfully all I have ever worried about is making sure the tip is in the center.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looking really good!  A couple of sites recommend a "steam finish".  If you have a pan with a rack that you can put some water in you might want to give that a try.  I rigged up a steam pan using 2 foil pans.  Put some foil balls int he bottom pan, stabbed holes in top pan. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Zmokin
    Options
    Looking really good!  A couple of sites recommend a "steam finish".  If you have a pan with a rack that you can put some water in you might want to give that a try.  I rigged up a steam pan using 2 foil pans.  Put some foil balls int he bottom pan, stabbed holes in top pan. 
    I have a double boiler pan, but it is likely too small for this task.

Some people, me included, do a pressure cooker finish.   It's like steam on steroids.  But I think a tightly done foil wrap ends up steaming the pastrami anyways.  I know when I foil ribs, I don't add liquids, but I always have liquids when I unwrap the foil.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You can also use a pressure cooker without the pressure valve. Doing so makes a great steamer.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I have no pressure cooker so am just planning on a foil finish.

This thing hit 145 around 2 hrs but has been stalled in the 150s for 4 hrs.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Is that like the Kroger "corned beef"? I almost bought one other day but don't fully understand the brisket to corned beef to pastrami transformation but I love pastrami.
    If you take a brisket and put it in a brine with various spices and pickling salts, it becomes "corned".   There are many recipes here on this site for doing that.

If you want Pastrami, you take a corned beef and smoke it. Again, there are various recipes available.  Pastrami is very similar to "Montreal Smoked Beef" and is made in a similar fashion.

Some people will shortcut the process by buying a corned beef at the store and just smoke that.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Zmokin
    Options
    I have no pressure cooker so am just planning on a foil finish.

This thing hit 145 around 2 hrs but has been stalled in the 150s for 4 hrs.
    I would wrap it now and not wait for the stall to end, the stall is caused by evaporation so you are losing moisture during the stall.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Its wrapped now.  No extra liquid.  Sitting at 160.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Due to events beyond my control this bad boy was wrapped until IT was 212! :eek:

Pulled it and sliced it.  Wow!  Is it killer.  I had to scrap some of the crust off because it was to peppery.  Like blazing hot Ferguson Missorri peppery hot.  Even way over temp it was tender and moist.

I will be doing this again, but probably only 1/3 the pepper the recipie called for.