Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg vs Gas Grill -- Which Route to Take???

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This morning I stopped by BBQ Outfitters and looked at the Green Eggs and also at the gas grills. I'm a senior and at this stage in my life, I am interested in finding the simplest, easiest way to smoke briskets, butts, and ribs -- also grill steaks, chops, fish, vegetables, etc. -- and, at the same time, produce excellent quality barbecue and grilled food. The Green Egg has no water pan and clean-up after using it appears to be very easy. Using charcoal, starting the fire, regulating the temperature, and removing ash from time to time, would require time and effort, however. On a gas grill, by way of comparison, there would be very little clean-up after a cook, and temperature control is as easy as turning a knob. So a gas grill would be the easier of the two to use. The next question in my mind is whether I could produce comparable, or near comparable, quality of barbecue with the gas grill. The grill does have a wood box to add smoke flavor (this is a big imporvement that has come along in recent years.) I know almost all of you on this forum are Egg users, but I would appreciate having your honest opinion about which route would be best for a man that is already a senior and that is getting more senior every day. All comments will be appreciated.

Comments

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Chuck/Tx,[p]I had a gas grill before the egg and it is now mostly a storage place in which I keep my Egg accessories. The quality of the dishes that I now cook on the egg that I used to cook on the gasser has increased sharply! I love the Egg so much that I now have two (One large and One Small). I enjoy the small amount of extra time that is required to start the fire and occaosionally clean the eggs out. There are lots of retired (I am not) eggers who frequent this message board and I am sure that some of them will chime in with regard to the use of the egg by "people with more life experience".[p]JNK
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Chuck/Tx,
    To produce, in your words, "excellent quality barbecue and grilled food" purchase an egg. Can't do that on a gasser![p]BeerMike
    "It's time for another beer."

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    JNK,[p]I am not retired either, but I had a very good very expensive gass grill that now collects dust, and I will be picking up my 2nd large at the eggs by the bay fest. At that time the gasser will leave the building.[p]I don't think you can touch the quality of food you get off the egg with a gas grill, and it takes almost no effort to clean the ash out of the bottom.[p]I actually think I get to cooking temp faster with the egg than with the old gass grill as well.[p]you will not be sorry and neither will your new best freinds you will be serving....
  • Master Mason, before you had the Egg, did you do any low and slow cooking on the gas grill (briskets, butts, ribs) that would give you a comparison of these "barbecue" items? I have a pretty good feel for the difference of "grilled" items, but am wondering about "smoked/barbecued" items.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Chuck/Tx,
    you can't barbecue on a grill. can't be done.
    you might be able to slo-cook ribs for 5 or 6 hours, and fiddle with changing smoke chips in a pan or something, but no way can you smoke a butt for 22 hours.[p]if you are a serious foodie, get the egg. if you want to occasionally cook outside, maybe play around with ribs and stuff, get the gasser.[p]the egg is 'easy' in it's own way. easy to produce the best steak or barbecue with the least effort. the gasser is easier to light and to 'cook' thefood.[p]but a steak on the egg and a steak on the gasser are lightyears apart.[p]and since there's no 'real' way to BBQ on a grill, the BBQ from an egg is even FURTHER away from that on a gasser.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Chuck/Tx,
    I bought a fancy stainless steel grill to build my patio around. I also bought an egg almost as an afterthought because I wanted to do an occasional steak over charcoal. Well, I've used my expensive, gas grill about 4 times now since purchasing it 9 months ago. I'm cooking on the egg 3-4 times/week. But, I do use the drawers on the stainless to store my Egg accessories.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Chuck/Tx,
    at the risk of being a dinkus maximus.... i can't imagine trying to cook a butt on a gasser for 20 hours. you would produce the same quality in your regular oven, honestly.[p]you might be able to add smoke at some point, but you won't have a nice long smoke.[p]if you want barbecue, you need a smoker, egg or otherwise. can't really smoke on a grill

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    edbro,
    I forgot to add another thought:
    The egg doesn't only excel at BBQing. It is excellent at baking. I get the best bread and pizzas out of my egg.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Chuck/Tx,
    I'm going home this afternoon and making a meatloaf and cooking it on the Egg. When was the last time you saw someone doing meatloaf on a gas grill? When it's finnished I'll have a meatloaf with a nice smoke ring and a flavor you can't get cooking with anything else. The Egg can cook just about anything and coming up with new ideas of what to cook is half the fun of owning it. -RP

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Chuck/Tx,
    well, I guess I'll be the first retiree to jump into the mix. I'm an avid egger and though it's just my wife and I most all of the time we have 4 BGEs now. Sure a gas grill is easy, less hassle to turn a knob and then shut down and walk away - - - however IMHO food cooked on a gasser - even with the wood tray gizmo - doesn't even come close to anything off a BGE! In fact I always say if you want to go the gas route save yourself the money and stay in the house and use your oven! True there is more time involved with an egg, but again I'm retired, but even when I was working I found the time to be both relaxing and rewarding.
    If you want food to savor get a BGE, but if you just want cooked food to fill your stomach buy a gasser or continue to eat out for the taste treats you could have gotten from the egg.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    5a1453bd.jpg
    <p />Chuck/Tx,
    the egg is the last grill you will ever buy, gassers dont really last that long without maintanence. and the egg can do more from 145 degree jerkey cooks to high temp sears to 20 hour plus low and slows with minimal effort. ash removal isnt much of a problem, once every other week if you cook regularly
    100_0177.jpg
    20ba33ad.jpg
    286fa7ca.jpg
    6b89e785.jpg
    2004_0214_012424.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    fishlessman,[p]Man that's tough when you are on a diet! Hmmmm good!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • AZRP
    Chuck/Tx,
    I had a Webber Smokey Mountain cooker and two gassers before my first Egg, in fact still have them, just haven't used them since. The WSM is a nice cooker but meat smoked in the Egg is much moister and it uses probably half the fuel. -RP

• fishlessman, greatdayinthemorning, look at those pictures! You do know how to make a good argument don't you? Yes you do!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Chuck/Tx,
    forgot to mention, nobody gets addicted to cooking on a gas grill

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP, thanks, this is a helpful comparison to have. I now have a WSM that I use to cook briskets and butts. I wondered if they would be better or not as good when cooked in an Egg.

• SeanB
    SeanB Posts: 20
    Chuck/Tx,[p]I have done "low/slow" on a gasser. First it is very hard to keep the temp low enough properly slow cook. I don't remember cooking any butts, but I did quite a few briskets and as indirecte as I could get it would cook the brisket in about 4-5 hours. Ribs are much easier than brisket, but the Egg just does something magical to ribs. Best ribs I have ever had came off of my egg.[p]If you want to do cook Q you need something that was designed for smoking. If you have you heart set on the "ease" of gas then look into the vertical gas smokers. I same one yesterday for $99 at Target. Just plan on getting another one in a few years when it rusts... ;)
  • GrillMeister
    photo3.jpg
    <p />Chuck/Tx,[p]The bottom line is we take no responsiblity for any feelings of anguish or buyers remorse if you buy the gasser and still come to the Texas Eggfest and you find yourself wanting to put it on eBay while asking if there are any more demo eggs available. LOL[p]Resistance is Futile
    You will be Eggsimilated

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • AZRP
    Chuck/Tx,
    I think a lot of past WSM users have moved over to the Egg. I really liked my WSM and cooked in it once a week. I cook on the Egg at least five times a week and only clean it out every two to three weeks. The WSM had to be cleaned after each use. On the WSM I had to add coal in the morning after an overnight cook, I've never had to add coal during a cook on the Egg. -RP

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Son, let me tell you this BGE is the "real deal". What fishlessman is telling you is just scratching the surface. This is as close to a "life changing" experience as you'll ever encounter. And, these babies don't rust out or wear out.....ever!

• Thanks to all of you for sending replies. Looks like I will be signing up for the April 6 - 10 Texas Eggfest and placing an order for one of the Big Green Eggs that will be used for a demo unit. People can't feel as strongly about a cooker as you do if it's not actually something super special.

• Chuck/Tx,

I bought a $400 stainless grill at costco the year before I got my egg. It lasted about a month after teh egg and it is now gone. What did? The first T-rex steak. [p]I could write a book, but just get the egg, you'd be nuts not to. You will not regret it.[p]Ed

• AZRP, see my post at the top of the string; you guys have convinced me -- and I appreciate it! Thanks.

• GrillMeister
    Chuck/Tx,[p]The Texas Eggfest is May 19-21. There's the Founders Day Cook Off in Dripping Springs April 7-8 where you can find myself and a few other Texas Eggheads. Come on down and try some award winning BBQ.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Chuck/Tx,
    Remember, although expensive, you can always you the gas grill as a storage unit for your BBQ supplies, once you decide on purchasing a BGE!

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Chuck/Tx,[p]While I am a long way from being retired or senior I gave my dad an egg for Christmas in 2004 and he has loved it. He continually tells me how is amazed at how little ash there actually is when he is done cooking. My parents use the egg 3 to 4 nights a week to cook dinner on. My in-laws have a gas grill that their kids gave them for Christmas back in 2003. It wasn't cheap but it has already rusted out and needs to have replacement parts put in. They only cook on it when the weather is nice. With an egg you have a tool that will give you great food and you'll want to cook on it. You won't get that with a gas grill.[p]John
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Chuck/Tx,
    I would direct you to Book 10 of The Tao Of Charcoal. I would pay special attention to chapters 2 and 3:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Tao Of Charcoal: The Book Of Charcoal and Gas[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Chuck/Tx, I have not looked at the other responses yet, but I will tell you this....I am a senior with four ceramic grills and I schitt canned my gas grill years ago. There really is no comparison. The flavor is in the lump charcoal and the finesse of the Egg. I the time it takes to drink a beer you are ready to cook.

• GrillMeister, thanks, I definitely plan to go to the Egg Fest in May. Will try to also make the cook-off in Dripping Springs.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Chuck/Tx,
    I too am a "senior". I cooked with a gas grill and a kettle for 35 yrs. I got the Egg in 2001 and have never looked back. The temperature is much easier to control than your post indicates you feel. As for clean up, the Egg is just as easy to clean as a gas grill. The only thing to clean is the grate. There is so little ash from the charcoal that one only cleans it out after a few cooks. And as to BBQ one has to ask "comparable to what?" In NC "pulled pork" is BBQ. The difference between electric pit and hickory fired pit BBQ is striking. That is why the hickory pit BBQ places have a line outside to get in and the other places are begging for business. If you get the gas grill, I can pretty much assure you that within a couple of years you will be coming back to your same question. And BTW, asking such a question of the "Egg-fanatics" on this site is like asking "who wants to win the lottery?" BUY THE LARGE BGE and enjoy!!!