Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large vs X-Large

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know I have ask this question before about large or xlarge but I may have ask the wrong way. Here is what I would like help with, should I purchase a Large first with the idea of getting a small or med in the future or should I just step up to the Xlarge. Most of the time I will be cooking for four to six but occasionally a large group. I want to thank you all for your help

Comments

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    Egglooker,[p]
    I have a large and a small and love that combination. I Do most of my family meals (4 of us) on the small. I use the large when entertaining and for doing low and slow. I have not used an XL but it looks like it would have to be a major lump pig. The small is very efficient.

• California Sooner
    Options
    Egglooker,[p]If it helps at all, I purchased an XL in January and I love it. It's huge and from what I understand you actually can see it from space! But I have also realized that I don't want to fire that bad boy up everytime I want to cook for just my wife and I. Therefore I have just ordered a small to go with Eggzilla! No more BGE's after the small I swear![p]Jim
  • Egglooker,
    You won't go wrong either way. I have customers/egg owners
    on both sides. I've sensed from the past year's conversations with them that the most practical way to start
    out is with a large and work your way to a small or medium
    based on your needs after using it awhile. The XL is an
    awesome "machine" which caters more towards big cookouts
    than the family meal. The large is more efficient with the
    lump simply because you're heating up less volume to cook
    the same family meal, which is what you will be doing most.
    I have a large that has handled 18 lb hams easily in case
    the size of a cut is an issue also. A large followed up
    with a medium or small depending on your needs gives you
    more versatility than just an XL. You can cook different
    foods at the same time at different temps or use the smaller
    grill for the followups at a cookout. The smaller eggs are
    great for just a few bratts, steaks, or burgers, and use less charcoal than the large per cook.
    Finally, if your wife is interested in using the egg (assuming you're not the wife) you should definately take her to your dealer so that you both can test your arms on
    lifting and lowering the domes. I had a female customer
    very interested in an XL at our store Tuesday until she
    lifted the lid.
    All this being said, you're in for some of the best eating
    of your life--no matter what your choice.
    Happy Eggin![p]Grillnut

• Mik of Alaska
    Options
    California Sooner,
    NOT!!!

• Mik of Alaska
    Options
    Egglooker,
    Do like most other eggers do. Get a large....then a small.... then a mini to travel....then another large because of all the neighbors and friends that come over...then a mediun just because you want the set and then if they arn't enough get the big mama. Mik

• tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    Options
    Egglooker,
    I have both the large and an XL. I find myself using the XL more and more. tstick

• Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    Options
    Egglooker,
    I have 5 eggs at present time, 2lg, a small, a mini, and the XL. I do most of my cooking on the XL. We are a family of four and I will make 16 or so hamburgers at once just for the leftovers.
    Jake

• Jake
    Options
    Jake,
    I guess that I should add that I use the small very little and the mini is just for looks. I know that the mini is a staple to a lot of people, but I just do not use it much personally.
    I use the 2 large eggs the most, and the XL is a close second.
    Jake

• Jake, I just got my XL in January (first egg). I like to make up a lot of leftovers also. When do we get the XXL or the XXXL?

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Egglooker,
    Well, let's see.[p]So far the voting looks like this:
    Large + Small = 2
    XL + Small = 1
    XL = 2[p]and then there's Mik in Alaska who wants the whole world, but would start with a Large + Small.[p]I'm in that camp right now. I have a large and have had it for three years. For all the times I'm cooking two steaks or four chicken breasts or want to cook at two temps, I'd like to get a small. I sure go through some lump getting the large to 600 for an 8-minute chicken kabob cook, though it doesn't really take long--the large is usually ready before I am. Also, it's great for large jobs (think turkey) and company: 4 steaks, potatoes and zucchini for sides. And that's just on one grid.[p]Like Grillnut said, I've tried lifting the lid on the XL and I'm not real comfortable with it (I am the wife and I think it weighs almost as much as I do). So when I have the chance, it will be Large + Small for me.[p]Joyce

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    Trouble,[p]Not to muddy the waters (stump, leave that last line alone), but I had a large, then a large and a mini, then a large, a small and a mini, and now I have two larges. [p]my situation is different in that I often cook for 8 or more (with my sis in law and family directly across the street), but I love having the two larges and the only thing I'd add is an outdoor kitchen that would hold a 3rd one or possibly an XL for special days. [p]: )
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Egglooker,
    I stand by what I told my wife when I first met her...SIZE DOESN'T MATTER!
    With that in mind, go with the Large adding the small as the need arises.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Dos Huevos,[p]I settled in with a 2 large combination as well, it gives the size and versatility I need.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Jake
    Options
    BOBF,
    They will make it as soon as our bank accounts are ready to accept it.