Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Cook book?

Options
i just received a $50 Amazon gift card. What's the best cook book for BGE. I have Myron Nixons Smokin' and Jeff Phillips 'Smoking Meat'. Any other recommendations?
McKinney, TX

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Haven't read Myron Mixon's book. Serious Barbeque by Adam Perry Lang.  Haven't read Aaron Franklin's book A Meat Smoking Manifesto. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I really like Steve Rachlen's Planet Barbecue because of the variety. Hundreds of recipes from countries all over the world. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Adam perry langs serious bbq

Garnerville, NY
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    APL's "Serious BBQ" is very good, but he does come from a classic French-style background, so the methods are more elaborate than usual. One of my favorites, perhaps the first BBQ book I read, was Mike Mill's "Love Peace, and BBQ." Good recipes, and good stories.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    "Smoke It Like a Pro" recently showed up on Amazon ... it's aimed towards the BGE in particular ... haven't read it, but thinking about it.  If nothing else, Eric Mitchell shows you what to do with the stainless steel temp clip ... put it on the stem between the head of the thermometer and the outside of the egg ... page 10 on the sample viewing.  Has anyone read this book?  What did you think about it?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    "Smoke It Like a Pro" recently showed up on Amazon ... it's aimed towards the BGE in particular ... haven't read it, but thinking about it.  If nothing else, Eric Mitchell shows you what to do with the stainless steel temp clip ... put it on the stem between the head of the thermometer and the outside of the egg ... page 10 on the sample viewing.  Has anyone read this book?  What did you think about it?
    I have this in my cart saved for later. I suppose I should just go for it.
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    Mitchell's Smoke It Like a Pro is my favorite Kamado cookbook--practical, lots of recipes, wise guidance on how to's and what for's--an excellent hands on guide all in one book that can compete with this forum!
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
       I just got smoke it like a pro. It's a great cookbook. It covers a LOT of basic egg stuff... Kind of like reading this forum for a year!  It goes over lighting, setting temperatures, egg safety, basic food safety. It has basic recipes for pulled pork, chicken, ribs like he would do for a competition. Basic rub recipes including what we here would call mickeys rub. He also covers standbys like ABTs and pig candy. A lot of his advice is simple and probably 90% of us would usually agree with. 

APLs recipes are excellent but involved. There's often multiple steps to each one to get all the flavor, like a marinade plus basting plus a board sauce. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I'm not big on cooking tech manuals-I am more than cooking challenged right here.  That said, I did buy "Smoke & Spice" by the Jamisons many years ago.  I still occasionally look thru it.  Very easy to follow and not too elaborate with a good selection of home-made rub recipes.   A pedestrian's input.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • biggreenbradUK
    Options
    I do a lot from Adam perry langs books.  I cooked his tenderloin yesterday at it was stand out. Recipes can be a little fussy though. Myron's book is good. Good tips. His potato salad is awesome too. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I did buy "Smoke & Spice" by the Jamisons 
    Of all the books that I have, I like that one the best. Just solid info and good recipes. No nonsense and straightforward without all the self glorification. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Here's the thing with APL's book: yes, the recipes are involved, but you can pick and choose what you want to do.  I skip the marinade on a lot of his recipes, and the wrapping mixture on others.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    With my gift card, plus a few extra dollars I bought 'Smoke and Spice',  Franklins new book, Smoke it like a Pro and another book about cooking on ceramic cookers in general. I don't really use all the recipes but I may tweak the temp and cook time per the authors suggestions. Always good to keep learning. 
    McKinney, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:
    Always good to keep learning. 
    I concur sir^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    This forum has been my cookbook so far. I have a number of cookbooks, but none specifically dedicated to grilling/barbequeing. My favorites in no partcular order:
    On Food and Cooking - Harold McGee
    The Breadbakers Apprentice - Reinhart
    Alton Brown - I'm Just Here for the Food
    Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook (the first book I purchased back in college). 

I'm thinking I might have to get APLs Serious Barbeque (though I've been trying to simplify my recipes lately). Aaron Franklin's book looks cool too. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.