Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planning my first spatchcock

Options
Zmokin
Zmokin Posts: 1,938
OK, this weekend I plan on cooking my first spatchcock chicken.

What homemade rub recipes do you guys recommend?

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Mickey's coffee rub is the only one I've made from a recipe - love it on poultry, everything else has been pantry surfing.  I usually use Plowboys Yardbird or Chupacabra on chicken
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Basic Chicken Rub.  Best guess on amounts  as we tend to dump things in. Taste and adjust to your liking, best of luck on your first bird....you'll never go back to beer can chicken. 

1/2 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup sugar in the raw 
    4 tablespoons kosher salt
    4 tablespoons granulated onion 
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic 
    4 tablespoons habanero powder. 
    4 tablespoons smoked paprika 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 180. 

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Sameydog
    Sameydog Posts: 154
    Options
    If you don't want to make your own rub you can buy McCormick’s Total Seasoning for Chicken & Fish. It has been a big hit when I do chicken.

I put a couple slices of lemon under the chicken for some flavor and moisture. I've never tasted a more moist chicken than a spatchcock done on the Egg. You'll do fine.

Bill
    From the deep south...land of saltwater fish...west central Florida
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I like to infuse canola oil (and butter) with garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, flat leaf parsley, thyme, lemon zest, and whatever else you're feeling.  

Just get a small sauce pan warm and add your oil and butter, then garlic.  Let that get happy and other stuff.  You're not cooking it, just releasing the flavors.  I make it like a paste to spread well UNDER the skin, on the skin, and on the bottom side.  

If you want some heat, add pepper flake, cayenne, etc... Want sweet, add some sugar, brown sugar, or molasses etc.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Any number of the Dizzys. Check out Oakwood BBQ on-line too. 

Your chicken world is about to be rocked. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    +1 on Mickey's coffee rub. Other things I've learned on here: lower, slower will give you more smokey taste than higher, faster.  Air drying the bird for 24-48 hrs in fridge helps crisp the skin.  I had good results this week with raised, direct @ 450*.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    @ryantt - that looks spicy! tasty though
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • Papa1058
    Papa1058 Posts: 14
    Options
    This may be the "dumb question of the day" but can someone demonstrate or explain how this chicken is 'cut' prior to cooking?  Not sure how to get it flattened out like that?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @papa1058 without being a smarta$$. It would be easier to google and watch a YouTube video. Basically you cut out the backbone and lay it out flat. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited April 2015
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Zmokin
    Options
    I've never left chicken in the fridge uncovered, especially raw chicken.
    I'm thinking if this is done to dry out the chicken skin so it crisps up better, do you guys put your dry rub on while it is still kinda wet so the rub sticks to the skin better? or do you use butter or oil on it after the overnight so the dry rub sticks?

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    I have the butcher do it for me. I have shi$$y knives
    New Albany, Ohio 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @dmw is nicer than me.  And I hate the mobile version of this site. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If you want, try two rubs, one on each side - one side with garlic because that’s what SWMBO asks for and the other side with a real BBQ rub like the rest of the world.... Actually, did one side with mild rub for the grandkids. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I've never left chicken in the fridge uncovered, especially raw chicken.
    I'm thinking if this is done to dry out the chicken skin so it crisps up better, do you guys put your dry rub on while it is still kinda wet so the rub sticks to the skin better? or do you use butter or oil on it after the overnight so the dry rub sticks?
    Yes, by desiccating the skin in the low humidity of the refrigerator it helps the skin dry and become crispy in the oven/egg.  You can add your rub before you do this or, if it doesn't stick, moisten it with some water before you season.

I wouldn't lay my lettuce on the raw chicken, but as long as it doesn't drip or touch any other food, there are no worries about aerosolized salmonella waging jihad on your refrigerator contents.  Nor with accelerated  bacteriological decay above and beyond it sitting covered for another day.
    Options
    In addition to fridge air-drying you can dust the skin with corn starch just before cooking.  That does wonders for crisping up the skin.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Zmokin
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    In addition to fridge air-drying you can dust the skin with corn starch just before cooking.  That does wonders for crisping up the skin.
    How much dusting?  I tried adding corn starch to a dry rub once, and even though i thought it wasn't very much, it seemed excessive when the chicken was done.  I think it was about 1 tsp of corn starch to about 6 tsp of seasoning.

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    spatchcock is the way to go. best chicken ever. The best thing I ever bought was the scissors that are heavy duty
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Another question.  One of my monitoring devices crapped out.
    So I only have 2 probes for this cook. 
    Which 2 things should I monitor out of the following 3 and why?

Grid
    Breast
    Thigh

• Zmokin
    Options
    If you want, try two rubs, one on each side - one side with garlic because that’s what SWMBO asks for and the other side with a real BBQ rub like the rest of the world.... Actually, did one side with mild rub for the grandkids. 
    Cute foil booties.  May I inquire as to the purpose?  Is it to keep the skin from breaking so the meat can't pull the skin back exposing the bone?  Is there a reason why that is a bad thing?

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    No foil required IMHO
    New Albany, Ohio 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Zmokin said:

Grid
    Breast
    Thigh
    Don't see the need for any of them. Set it up 350-400, put it on, come back in 50 min, see where you are, come back in 10 more you should be close depending on the size of bird. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Zmokin- regarding the "dusting" I have never measured-just a very light amount on the skin.  I don't aim to cover the entire bird.  I have used a very fine strainer to dispense but most times just shake from a wide mouth container.  I am quite sure my final ratio was way less than your 6 to 1.

About probes-I cook with the thighs to the back of my LBGE (hottest area on the grid) and monitor the breast (only one probe) and once the breasts hit around 160*F I check the thighs with a thermapen.  The thighs are always done (180+) at the same time.
    BTW-I always cook with the dome thermo-never have worried about the grid.  FWIW and YMMV-  Enjoy the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I almost never use probes except for a long butt cook. I have a Maverick that hasn't been used in years. Totally unnecessary IMO.

Here's a good rub...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166301/wow-chicken/p1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Options
    Zmokin said:

Grid
    Breast
    Thigh
    Don't see the need for any of them. Set it up 350-400, put it on, come back in 50 min, see where you are, come back in 10 more you should be close depending on the size of bird. 
    When you say "see where you are", is that checking with a thermapen? I own a cheapy version that doesn't stabilize in 3-5 seconds, it can take 30-60 seconds to stabilize.  When the piece of meat is big enough for a probe, I prefer to monitor remotely, and not open my Egg until it's done.  Steaks, ribs and chicken wings are about the only things I cook by time & appearance, not internal temp.

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    I almost never use probes except for a long butt cook. I have a Maverick that hasn't been used in years. Totally unnecessary IMO.

Here's a good rub...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166301/wow-chicken/p1
    Agree. For spatchcock you just need a sanity temp check 35-40 minutes in. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Yes, I was referring to check the temp with a pen, pop, etc...
  • Zmokin
    Options
    OK, bird is spatchcocked, seasoned, and placed in the refrigerator waiting for tomorrow.
    I haven't worked up the courage to try coffee grounds in a rub.
    So I went with:

1 tsp salt
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp ground rosemary
    1/2 tsp ground thyme
    1/2 tsp ground savory
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp mustard powder
    1/4 tsp cayenne powder

That's 11 herbs & spices and NO MSG

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Gonna be good!