Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement probe

Options
Has anyone found a good replacement food probe for the Maverick? I have replaced the original with the 6 foot version three times. I have never allowed water to get into the probe, and keep it wrapped with foil at the joint.
Chesapeake, VA

Comments

• JC5404L
    JC5404L Posts: 29
    Options
    I emailed Derrick at Maverick directly and they sent replacements gratis.  'dkeller@maverickhousewares.com' 
    Atlanta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would not wrap it in foil
    Options
    Another potential cause could be storage. If the cables are kinked during storage or cleaning, this could cause the failure. I assume you use the unit on LS cooks only?
  • onelikearock
    onelikearock Posts: 115
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have had my egg for several years and use it often. The failures have been with the food probes. I have always made sure the probe and wires are not over direct heat, always guarded by the plate setter. Oh well when it works it works great, guess I will get another probe.
    Thanks for the responses
    Chesapeake, VA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It uses thermistor probes.  You can probably find these for next to nothing from one of the chinese gadgetry sites.  

Don't wrap in foil, don't use direct, don't get them wet and they will last longer.  
    If you want something more robust, get the Thermoworks unit - it uses thermocouples, which are what commercial ovens use.
    It uses thermistor probes.  You can probably find these for next to nothing from one of the chinese gadgetry sites.  

Don't wrap in foil, don't use direct, don't get them wet and they will last longer.  
    If you want something more robust, get the Thermoworks unit - it uses thermocouples, which are what commercial ovens use.
    Thanks, I will check it out.
    Chesapeake, VA