Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New / Prospective Egg users - my first month

Options
Dean
Dean Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first month or so as an Egg user has gone fairly well. It took me several months to decide whether or not to dive into it (no small investment for this compared to the cheapo gas grill I used to have), but I have been pleased. There's a learning curve here, but not insurmountable.
I learned as much as I could going in to this, but I realized there was much more to learn, and this forum has been a valuable source of further information. I had read several stories of people who didn't eggsecute their recipes well, so I've been nervous to try out food on guests until I've tried it myself.
So far, I haven't botched anything, and I'd give myself a B+ to A- for most things I've cooked. That's on my new BGE scale. I'd say on this new higher standards scale (higher eggspectations), my old cooking on the cheapo gas grill dropped a notch. What used to be an A is now a B.
I am tantalized by the stories of heavenly creations some of the eggsperts make, but in general am please that I haven't had any fiascos. So far I've tried whole chicken (A- to A), burgers (A-), hot wings (B+ to A-), Pizza (a very good B), t bone steak (A-), strip steak (B+), various veggies (corn, cauliflower, onions, etc), and a couple other things I'm forgetting. With the help of an internal temperature probe, it's pretty hard to blow it.
Next up is a London Broil, then I'm really looking forward to doing a whole turkey, then maybe some cornish game hens and a ham. Once I'm around the block once, I'll start inviting guests over.
My wife has been pretty good about all this. The kids have eaten more off this than the previous grill, and in general more meat from this than any other source.
Now if I can only fine pure Oak charcoal in my area, I'll be all set. I do think that the BGE charcoal is pure oak, just have trouble getting to that particular store during business hours.
One more comment - while the charcoal doesn't go a far as some claims I've read, it does go remarkably farther than an ordinary grill. And after burning a 20 lb bag, I literally have maybe a CUP of ashes. Just boggles my mind. Won't need an ash tool for another month or two at the rate I'm going.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Dean,[p]Sounds like you're well on your way! Part of the beuty of the EGG is its hard to make mistakes (very forgiving)! Keep experimenting and keep writing about your adventures![p]Smokey

• Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Options
    Dean,
    I can relate to your comment about the lump not lasting as long as expected. I read that a 20# bag would last 3 months. I get 3 weeks. Maybe its because I use the Egg 6 days a week.Billy

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Dean,[p]Welcome to Club Egg! Keep playing with it, Like Smokey said, and you will find that you just get better at most everything. The lump can be obtained at "any" TrueValue or ServiceStar store - and I am sure you have them. You won't see it on the shelf but they all can order from their national warehouse and get it in 2-4 days for around $9/20 lb bag. Lump charcoal is available from True Value Hardware stores item #145607 or ServiceStar Hardware #66990. Call and ask to speak to whomever can make a special order. I always get 4 bags at a time. If they have to special order it you have a better chance to get their attention with an order of 4 over just 1 bag. [p]Feel free to roam around GFW's website and mine to get some ideas for future cooks.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]- Tim's BGE -[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Welcome Dean,
    Great to hear of your new addiction, and your very positive success rate. Sounds like you are plenty ready for those guests to start popping by! I can't get lump to last very long either....but at least I know it is because Humpty doesn't get much rest![p]Guinness Stout makes a killer marinade for the London Broil.....24 hours or better in a bath of Guinness and some simple seasonings (garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper for eggsample)....heaven. BluesNBBQ did one at the eggfest (I cooked it for him since he was playing in the band, and almost ruined by cooking too long). But it luckily ended up perfect..and tasty.[p]Good luck when you start cooking for guests.....that is when it really gets fun. You'll start hearing a constant "Best I ever had." Then pretty soon you will be looking for any possible excuse to cook. Cooking briskets to bring to parties, inviting more and more people over, cooking lunch on your days off...etc.[p]No turning back....it only gets better.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    True. I just bought a 10 lb brisket at Sam's to take to a party on Friday! Looking forward to it! Not much can top a sandwich made from a tender, juicy, freshly egged brisket!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bdavidson,
    My favorite part is opening the foil, and letting the room fill with steam and awesome smells....then watching people gather around with the drool buckets in full swing. [p]Enjoy your party...and your cook. I get to do a chunk-o-chest for a neighbor's party next sunday.
    Yeeeee Ha!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fireball
    Options
    Dean,
    Soon you will find that eating "out" is no where near as good as eating food from the BGE. Welcome to the forum .
    Fireball