Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Eats - Wok Cooking

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did anyone see Alton last night? He cooked Thai food in a wok over a pile of burning lava lump. He was using a kettle cooker, placed the cooking grid on the grill and put a fire ring on top of that. Seemed like a pretty good idea. Just put a fire ring on the grid.[p]Do you think that the wok would be too far away from the lump to get good heat?[p]E

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    i think it would work fine with the lid open. i didnt see the show, but ive been eating lunches from a thai place all this week and last. incredible food. the satay looks like a good cook on the egg, and if i can just figure out how they make the chili tomato ginger sauce for the duck and shrimp over rice it will be wok time

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,
    This site has many thai products and recipes. Hope it helps

[ul][li]A Taste of Thai[/ul]
  • Super Glide
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]I saw it last night and the wok sure didn't look to be hot enough. No smoke when he poured the oil in, the ingredients took way way too long to cook.[p]There was definetly no "Wok Hei" which means "Breath of the Wok". Its that great toasty flavor in really good Asian food.[p]It would have worked much better if he put the fire ring on the coals. But I think the whole "Lawyers" bit was kind of him saying he can't say to do that. When has there ever been any kind of safety disclaimer when he used a grill before?[p]I wouldn't use a grate on the BGE... even though you could create an inferno underneath that would get the wok good and hot. Why bother. Get the lump good and hot, out the fire ring on the lump, and put the wok on the ring. Oh, and wear good gloves.[p]Works for me every time.