Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party prep

2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2015
    @cookn_biker

I think @nolaegghead was referring to parasites as nucleated single to multi-cellular organisms(protozoa, tapeworms) rather than parasitic bacteria, like salmonella or gonorrhea.  
  • Poolman
    Poolman Posts: 17
    SInce you have skirt steak, do both the chicken and beef fajita-style with some tortillas and toppings.

A Carne Asada marinade is another option. 
    Chicken and skirt steak fajitas would be easy to prep and fast to cook.  Marinate overnight in Goya Mojo Criollo for authentic flavor.

~~~~~~~

Poolman

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @cookn_biker

I think @nolaegghead was referring to parasites as nucleated single to multi-cellular organisms(protozoa, tapeworms) rather than parasitic bacteria, like salmonella or gonorrhea.  
    I was.  I'm a complete geek about food biology, sorry if I wasn't clear.
    chicken in the first hour, turn grill up a little and cook the tenderloins, open dome for more heat and sear the flanks, looks doable to me. if you kabobed the tenderloin into madallions they cook even quicker
    How can I keep the chicken moist for a few hours while the other food cooks?  Or amI better off cooking it and putting it some sort of casserole and a ton of sauce?

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    cook to 158 internal, foil and cooler, cook the other stuff, put chicken back on grill for a few minutes with or without sauce and serve.
    you can also make this a day ahead and just bake it day of in the oven, this dish seems to show up at every family event we have
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/broccoli-chicken-divan/

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i think you could even pull this off with a little planning in your 2 hour window

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1380662&catid=1

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    that looks good.

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Focker said:
    st¡ke said:
    Can someone explain the logic behind all the 'cook, freeze, reheat' recommendations?  If it is a week away from when you cook, you don't need to freeze it. Refrigerators are amazing things. 

Freezing kills bacteria, making it safer to serve.  Kind of like a culinary autoclave.

Thought you knew. 
    Freezing doesn't "kill" bacteria. It just slows reproduction down and may cause some cells to burst. Aside from increased pressure, autoclave is completely opposite of freezing. I suppose a dishwasher is a much better culinary comparison. 
    I concur.  It arrests most bacteria growth and kills some parasites (think sushi) if done right.  Let your kids eat dirt, they'll build up a nice immune system.  Freshly cooked food is sterile, more so if cooked low and slow, less with rare steaks. It will keep between 32 and 40F for at least a week, more likely longer.  I think the week rule is prudent. 
    Maybe this can help to understand better what is the bacteria in the food world

First at all, the bacteria are divided into 3 classes that distinguish them for their ability to infect the host:

Saprophytic bacteria which are not able to infect a host

Parasites are capable of infecting a host. In turn are divided into: (a) diners, if the bacterium that infects the guest is well tolerated and does not bring disadvantages (b) pathogenic bacteria that parasitize the host and create in it a malignant disease.

opportunistic bacteria that in healthy individuals do not elicit an activity pathogenic but if the individual is immune compromised for if they are able to trigger an infection.

The micro-organisms to cause disease should be sufficient in number. It therefore seems important prevent the occurrence of conditions suitable for development. The following summarizes the factors involved in microbial proliferation.
    Nourishment
    Foods are a second growth medium of microorganisms, but not all are the same way. The most suitable foods are those of animal origin (meat, fish, milk and dairy products, eggs).
    The temperature
    Almost all micro-organisms grow at temperatures between + 5 ° C and + 65 ° C, with optimum values ​​of growth around + 37 ° C (our body temperature), while temperatures are eliminated by higher than + 75 ° C continued for a few minutes. Spore forms, however survive even at normal cooking temperatures and can re-contaminate the food, if not well cooled.
    The low temperatures do not eliminate the microorganisms but merely block the development. In addition, some bacteria, said psychrophilic, including Listeria, a dangerous pathogen, can develop very well to refrigerator temperatures. The molds can withstand temperatures lower than those required by bacteria, and also to grow on foods stored in the refrigerator.
    The water
    Water is essential to the microorganisms, which in fact show little or no growth in foods where available water is scarce, because dried, or with added salts (sausages) or high-sugar (jams).
    The need for water, however, that varies depending on the species: the bacteria will require much (and therefore contaminate fresh foods), molds little (and contaminate foods driest).
    Acidity
    The microorganisms require a degree of acidity intermediate. The more acidic foods, such as fruit, or very little acids (basic) as the yolk of the egg are therefore not favorable to their growth. Also in this case, the molds are more resistant bacteria.
    The oxygen
    Some microorganisms can develop only in the presence of air (aerobic), while others only in the absence of air (anaerobic). However, many microorganisms can tolerate intermediate conditions, with little air (Microaerophilic).
    The time
    Microorganisms, in favorable conditions, they multiply at very fast: a bacterial population doubles in 20 minutes, and only one individual is able in a little more than 9 hours to give rise to 57 million new cells, equal to the Italian population!

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I never knew any of this before you so kindly explained it.
    cook to 158 internal, foil and cooler, cook the other stuff, put chicken back on grill for a few minutes with or without sauce and serve.
    you can also make this a day ahead and just bake it day of in the oven, this dish seems to show up at every family event we have
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/broccoli-chicken-divan/

Thanks for the tip on the chicken divan.  We made this for the party and most liked it.  I think the chicken needed a little more flavor as I grilled them with just salt/pepper on the Egg the day before.  But then again I hate chicken unless its burried in tomato sauce and cheese.

The APL Peach brined pork tenderloins were a hit.

The skirt steaks were gone in seconds.

Pasta/cocktail meatballs - gone.

Party was a hit.

Thanks all

Garnerville, NY
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Well done sir.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Too busy or embarrassed to take pictures?  ;)
    canuckland
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Too busy or embarrassed to take pictures?  ;)
    Too busy actually.  I like entertaining but its allot of work.   Especially when getting yelled at by the wife.  I was trying to maintain my cool by manning the Egg and participating in emptying some beer bottles.

Garnerville, NY
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    congrats - the good news is this is just first communion out of the way, so many more parties to plan for your kid
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    "...and participating in emptying some beer bottles."

Somebody's got to do it.  Way to man up.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX