Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My XL is getting a play mate.

Options
2»

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    That is awesome 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice @Tinyfish
    These are built nearly one at a time. Although it's considered to be a close relative of other similar style cookers it's in a class of its own. They are beyond heavy.  And it's gonna be great in any cooker lineup. Enjoy it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Nice @Tinyfish
    These are built nearly one at a time. Although it's considered to be a close relative of other similar style cookers it's in a class of its own. They are beyond heavy.  And it's gonna be great in any cooker lineup. Enjoy it. 
    Thanks Husker. I did have mine custom made. They are made with a gas door/opening at the back to insert a gas burner. I was never going to use the gas burner and i was afraid of a possible air leak so they made it without the gas door opening for me.

P.S. still have to get a few more drill bits to finish Husker mod. I'm thinking of buy some colbalt material drill bits.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Not to go OT but, in regards to the drill bit a 135° self-centering & a TiCN  bit (titanium carbonitride, blue-gray color) will make it almost effortless. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @Tinyfish Congrads! Looks amazing on my want list for sure.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    ... I did have mine custom made. ...
    Did/can you have a custom fan port built in for a Stoker/Guru type fan? 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Tinyfish
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    ... I did have mine custom made. ...
    Did/can you have a custom fan port built in for a Stoker/Guru type fan? 
    The Komodo's come standard with the Guru port just plug and play. If you look at the picture again and look at the bottom right side you can see the  stainless steel with the teak knob pluged into the Guru port. 

The Komodos also come with pre installed sleeves inside for a rotisserie.  The sleeve on one side is connected to a drive shaft on the outside that the rotisserie motor connects to. The rotisserie cook may be my first cook. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Sweet!! Those Komodo's are really nice. Enjoy! 

I've showed my wife pix of their 32" one in their blue pebble finish a few times this past year (she has a thing for that shade of blue) but so far she hasn't taken the bait.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Tinyfish
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Sweet!! Those Komodo's are really nice. Enjoy! 

I've showed my wife pix of their 32" one in their blue pebble finish a few times this past year (she has a thing for that shade of blue) but so far she hasn't taken the bait.
    That's the way you do it. Keep your line in the water....thats why they call it fishing and not catching.

The way I see it,  if she didn't jump out of the and bite you your in good shape. Now hit her with the KK 23".
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    You can't really compare the price of a large egg to this. It is probably closer to the XXL when comparing the total cooking area, I think this has more. What does the XXL run, maybe $4K. Check out the ProJoe at $8K  575 Lbs. I see all sorts of prices listed on forums for cookers. Does that lead me to think my dealer may have overcharged me?
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Fabregé
    No, that type of egg is too delicate.  It looks more like something out of a temple in Asia.  If two Buddhist monks deliver it, you'll share that with us won't you @Tinyfish?

• Tinyfish
    Options
    @Jeepster47 if two monks come over they better like beer, rum and bbq.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    ^^^^^ :rofl: 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    @Tspud1 your right it is hard to compare prices and grills. Komodo 23" come with three levels of cooking grids which gives it lots of sq in's and it comes ready to cook (deflector, drip pan etc etc). The main reason I went Komodo is the insulated refractory cement that its made from. It is a true insulated cooker. No bands to adjust,  self opening lid and the quality of all the components plus it looks like a dragon. For me its worth the money,  many will disagree....thats why we have free will to make our own choices. Do I love my XL sure do but they are two different cookers.
  • MisterCode
    Options
    Wow Tinyfish, what a sweet investment! I hadn't heard of that company till this post (yeah I've been away for a couple years). Your XL is going to have some great company out on your patio for sure. 
    XL 2010 w/ Self-made hardwood lump charcoal
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Looked inside one yesterday for the first time.  Wow does that unit come with a real KICK ASH BASKET.  You'll have to share a picture of it when yours arrives.  Yes, I know there are lots of other neat features, but the lump basket made me jealous. 

If a kamado cooker was shown in the old time Jetsons cartoon,  I think it would look like your new one.  In fact, if you name your cookers, might I suggest you call it Jetson!!

• Tinyfish
    Options
    Looked inside one yesterday for the first time.  Wow does that unit come with a real KICK ASH BASKET.  You'll have to share a picture of it when yours arrives.  Yes, I know there are lots of other neat features, but the lump basket made me jealous. 

If a kamado cooker was shown in the old time Jetsons cartoon,  I think it would look like your new one.  In fact, if you name your cookers, might I suggest you call it Jetson!!

Thats a Cool Name. 

Everything about the unit is solid and well built. Did you notice that there's no space between the fire box and the body.  All the air that enters the air vent has no choice  but to pass through the charcoal. I'm no scientist, but I think this is why it needs so little air to reach temperatures and it  keeps food a little more moist.

• Tinyfish
    Options
    If you guys are interested here's a link to the uncrating of my Komodo Kamado  http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/21051-uncrating-of-a-23-komodo-kamado-in-toronto-very-pic-heavy/
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    If you guys are interested here's a link to the uncrating of my Komodo Kamado http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/21051-uncrating-of-a-23-komodo-kamado-in-toronto-very-pic-heavy/