Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting my egg

Options
i will be pulling the trigger on a large egg by the end of the month. Yay me!!  What are some eggessories that I should get?  I see some say the AR  is awesome. Should i just go ahead and get that?  Also any advise for a new egg owner!!  Thanks so much. 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. Going straight to the AR would be a step in the right direction. Enjoy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Get a thermopen and if you do get the AR you could skip the platesetter.

Congrads and welcome
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Welcome. Look into what comes with the egg and what your near plans are. Are you going to build a table soon? If so don't waste money on the egg nest and egg mates, maybe build the table before you buy the egg. I had mine for a week, now they sit in a shelf in the garage $250 I could have spent on other accessories. I
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Gloves. Definitely get some high temp gloves. Can't over-state this. GLOVES.  I bought the BGE gloves and love them, but there are other very good options available. Invaluable when changing accessories during a cook. And I would get a cast iron grate and a cast iron skillet that will fit on your egg. Then you can do just about anything. Welcome and good luck. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Burp...just remember to burp. Unless you like crapping yourself.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Get a Map gas torch for lighting your egg. It's easy, quick and you don't have to mess with electric cords.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    Therma pen, gloves,plate setter, swing rack, lots of your favorite beverage!
  • beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    Options
    buy lots of charcoal
    Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Thermapen, AR , welding gloves
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @THEBuckeye (and some others) might be able to speak to the Thermopop as a cheaper alternative to the Thermapen.  I own the Thermapen and you can't beat it.  It's the premium instant-read thermometer, but it is also expensive.  Since you are conisdering purchasing the AR, which isn't cheap, it might be a way to ease the burden a bit without sacrificing too much by way of performance/quality.  BTW I love my AR and use it all the time.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Don't buy the side tables but don't build one for at least a year. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Oh, welcome 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Welcome. Haven't seen anyone else mention the 'Ash Tool' but I use this very simple tool on every cook. Great for stirring the used lump before relighting and also for dragging out the ashes.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Buy Meat, lots of it.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    A couple of decent knives, make sure you have a good one for carving post cook and something for pre-cook trimming, meat prep.  Doesn't have to be spendy, but you need something that get sharp and can hold a decent edge.  Poultry shears also.

Foil pans. Good, strong, long tongs.  Cooler for next to the egg.  Lots of cabinet space for the rubs you'll collect.  Good phone to take pics with.
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    I personally think you should keep it simple and add as you learn.  There is already so much to learn with the egg and by adding complications like the AR in the beginning might make it overwhelming.  Here is what I would suggest:

The Essentials:
    Platesetter
    Grill gripper
    Ash tool

The Really Should Haves:
    Instant thermometer
    Wireless thermometer with at least 2 probes (Maverick ET-733 is what I use)
    A small plastic container to put the wireless thermometer in when it's raining/misting outside
    Rib V-rack
    Pizza Stone

The Nice to Haves:
    Adjustable Rack
    A Corvette
    Rain cap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  A few comments related to some of the above posts:

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Welcome Twisty
    Jacksonville FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Wait and find out what you need.  It's easy for someone else to spend your money for you. People seem to hop on the "hot" accessory only to find out they don't need it.  See what best suits you over some time.  Thermapen is a good start though....   
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Must have to get started:
    1. Welding gloves
    2. AR or Platesetter

Then:
    1. Thermopen $100 (get the backlight, it's worth it) but agree with thermopop comment ($30).
    2. AR or Platesetter (I have both and vote AR) ($60-$150 for R&B combo AR)
    3. Welding Gloves $30
    4. Pizza Stone $45
    5. Maverick or other constant read thermometer $50 (for low & slow)

I use 91% isopropyl alcohol to lite. (Walgreens/cheap). I wouldn't think you need grill gripper if you have gloves. Small metal trash can for ash ($20). Get some Royal Oak lump from Walmart for starters (skip Lowe's Cowboy lump). You won't need the rib rack if you get the AR. I agree with comment about nest vs. table - Use concrete/cinder blocks for a while if need to wait on table.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Monaarts said:
    I personally think you should keep it simple and add as you learn.  There is already so much to learn with the egg and by adding complications like the AR in the beginning might make it overwhelming.  Here is what I would suggest:

The Essentials:
    Platesetter
    Grill gripper
    Ash tool

The Really Should Haves:
    Instant thermometer
    Wireless thermometer with at least 2 probes (Maverick ET-733 is what I use)
    A small plastic container to put the wireless thermometer in when it's raining/misting outside
    Rib V-rack
    Pizza Stone

The Nice to Haves:
    Adjustable Rack
    A Corvette
    Rain cap

I use the grill gripper exactly never.  A good pair of gloves and you will never use it.  If you get the AR/Spider/Stone, you don't need a platesetter.

I have a maverick, but I don't use it much anymore either.  Once you get a sense of timing, the thermapen is plenty.

Edit:  Or what Raymont said.
    NOLA
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    I bought the plate setter and Geramic Grill Works swing grate and regret that. For the price I paid for both of those, i could have gotten the Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store with every add on possible pretty much. I finally broke down and bought the AR R&B Combo with the round stone in addition because it will literally configure to cook ANYTHING I want to cook and expand to cook multiples of them.

I now consider my thermapen my #1 accessory and the AR my #2. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas