Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to bge

Options
I recently received a bge XL from my girlfriend. I was curious about lump charcoal and will any brand work. I am 7 cooks and learning. First was a pork butt had trouble getting meat up to temp. But it's getting better. I'm about 60 mile from the nearest dealer with bge brand lump. I have used about 1 whole bag so far have one in waiting I'm new to bge and forums so bare with me on questions because there will be a lot. 

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I wouldn't be the guy to answer, but I will say Welcome Aboard.
    Phoenix 
  • Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    Thanks blasting
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Big Green Egg lump is rebagged under the brand Royal Oak.  You're paying extra for the bag to say Big Green Egg.  Royal Oak is available at some big box stores such as Walmart.  Home Depot, Lowes, Menards should carry hardwood lump.  Might not be the best but available for future cooks
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    to answer your question, yes, any lump will work.  There's a big price swing from the cheapest to the most expensive lump, and all brands have unique characteristics when it comes to flavor, smokiness, how fast it lights, how long it burns, how big the chunks are, and so on.  Best thing you can do is try out some lump that's locally available and go from there.  Over time, you'll be able to distinguish the differences between different lumps very easily;.   

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    First let me welcome you to the Eggdiction. Not sure where you are located, but a lot of the guys use Firecraft to get lump sent to them.  If you buy $100, shipping is free.  Many choices, but Rockwood is the popular one.  I like it and can get it from my dealer who is only 3 miles away from me.  It's about the same price as the BGE, but better lump.

http://www.firecraft.com/

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and the world of Egging! Fire away with all of those questions, there are a ton of very knowledgable folks around here that are willing to lend a hand. 

Dont worry about using BGE brand lump, any lump will work in the Egg. The BGE lump is actually Royal Oak brand lump which has been rebagged and sold by BGE. You can pick up a bag of Royal Oak at your local Walmart at a much cheaper price than what you'd pay for a bag of BGE. 

Everyone has their own opinion about lump around here. Rockwood, Ozark Oak (RIP), Wicked Good, Fogo are some of the preferred brands around here. Royal Oak is a decent lump at a very reasonable price point. The only lump you want to stay away from at all costs is Cowboy lump. That stuff is awful. 

This website is a great resource for anyone new to using a ceramic cooker and also has an amazing charcoal database that can answer all sorts of questions about lump for you:

nakedwhiz.com
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome.  Lots of discussion on lumps in this forum.  It does depend where you live sometimes, in that you may find that you don't have access to some of these lumps--at least affordable access.   Adding to what others have already said, I might suggest looking into Rockwood Lump through Firecraft.com (or possibly your local Ace hardware store).  If you can find any more Ozark Oak where you live then get it while it lasts (going out of business or re-branding).  If you're off the grid, Fogo lump through Amazon might be an option for you.  Wicked Good Weekend Warrior is generally regarded as above average, and they have another offering called Jake's Blend that has been receiving good reviews here, lately. There are other regional offerings that are very good so I haven't exhausted the list by any means.  Another tip might be to use a cheaper lump like Royal Oak (RO) for fast, hot cooks or for the occasional clean burn.  Edit:  BTW some use RO for most all of their cooks.  The issue is whether you prefer a more neutral flavored smoke or not--which a lot of us do.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. I am one of those Firecraft guys. I get it shipped to me for free. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I typically buy Rockwood from firecraft. That said, any good brand that you can find locally will work fine. Have fun with your new egg and if you have any questions or need help just ask. This group is extremely friendly & helpful.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome to the sandbox. All questions are welcome. However, you never know where a thread will lead around here so be prepared to laugh!
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Please check this site for reviews of lump.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
    Also welcome and enjoy the egg, it's an amazing tool. Make sure to contact @RRP for your new and improved gasket. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. RW or WGWW are excellent  for lump.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Welcome
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Lump preference is a little like how you buy your coffee. It's all good until you find something better, then you can't go back to the old swill. You do get what you pay for, and cheap lump is ... ... undesirable after you've used something superior.

I like Rockwood, Fogo, Kebroak, Quebracho, Hasty Bake, and Ozark Oak. Tried them all, including the cheap ones. (No Weekend Warrior - on the bucket list) Ozark Oak recently went out of business and my last bag of that will be burned in a ceremonial long cook of something very expensive, like a 15lb packer.

I like to pay less than $1lb and I buy in quantity to get there. Rockwood is available throughout the MidWest, where I live, but it costs $1.25/lb. That extra quarter adds up when you buy a couple hundred pounds.

Amazon Prime runs a sale sometimes, and I load up on some of that Central American hardwood lump for $0.70/lb when they do. It's not as good as the best lump I've used (Ozark/Rockwood) but at nearly half the price it's a good solid performer for me, I can keep a full load of it at 225f for more than 20 hours.

Cowboy lump is spelled wrong - should be called "lumber". Squares don't often happen in nature, so your lump should not be square and I don't appreciate being sold garbage burnt lumber mill ends disguised as lump.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    shucker said:
    and I should add that any girlfriend who gifts a bge, especially an XL, is a definite keeper!
    Welcome and yes she is!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Welcome....  1st KEEP the girlfriend!  2nd just keep trying lumps available in your area... You will figure out which lump you like.
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    Ok thanks guys 
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    Welcome!  There is a wealth of information here.  Take some time (a LOT of time) and pour through the threads.  
    The best advice I've ever gotten on this forum is to keep a food journal.  
    Oh, and...."Pics or it didn't happen."  

meredith
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new around here too, but it seems that Rockwood is one of the most desirable lumps that experienced users recommend. I want to try some myself from firecraft.com but keep running into deals in my area such as $7 for an 18 lb. bag of Royal Oak at Walmart recently. Hard to pass up when I can buy 3 bags for the price of one of the better ones.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Welcome.  Ha! There's plenty of debate about lump on this forum.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    Welcome.
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Welcome to the Funny Farm.