Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a pit on your patio like this?

Options
I have a friend that has this pit in his back yard.  It will easily cook 12 chickens or 12 racks of ribs.  I didn't ask, but I'm sure it could handle a small whole hog.  He said it's easy to maintain 250 degrees and he burns mostly oak wood.  I don't really need one, but I  want one.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is sweet.  I would love to have something like that.  Any ideas on what it would cost to build?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Not me.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    All of the hardware was bought at BBQ Galore and the masonry material was bought locally.  I don't have a clue as what it would cost just for the material.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    The only pit on my back patio has 20K gallons of water in it.  Barely room for the Eggs.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That's cool. if I ever build a pit. It will be a brick one. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Pardon my pit ignorance, but I assume the top door is for access to the cooking grids and the bottom two doors are for access to direct (left) and indirect (right) fires?
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    @njlThe fire box is on the right and the bottom left access door is for clean out of carry over debris and stuff that falls thru the smoke chamber.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Thats awesome. I'd love to hv one of those. 

Little Rock, AR

• UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    Just plug "brick BBQ plans" into Google... there are a lot of them out there.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    That's very cool. 

I'm helping a friend design one.  He wants to be able to do low n slow, direct Argentinian steak grilling and pizza.  I've tried to convince him that the egg will essentially do all of that pretty well for a small fraction of what he'll pay to build something but he seems pretty set on building.  We've decided the steak grill will have to be separate but we're thinking we'll build something like what is in the picture that will get up to 600 degrees... Or he may just build in a separate wood fired pizza oven.  I've googled but haven't found the perfect design.  Does anybody know of any websites or designs for such a beast?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX