Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

electric smokers and wood-fired pellet grills

Options
My son said that he was thinking about getting a smoker and wanted my opinion. specifically one from a company named Cookshack.  I went to their website and saw that, except for their large competition units, they are electric, pellet feed smokers.
Does anyone here have any firsthand knowledge of this brand of smoker and/or electric pellet feed smokers in general?

My inclination is to not go that way, but I've never used one, so I can't give him an informed opinion as to their use and the quality (taste) of the product they produce.
San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    edited April 2015
    Options
    never eaten off one but read this about treager pellets years ago and it makes no sense to me that a top contender in pellet grills would do this. i do add pecan pellets to the egg at tday for turkey =)

treager pellets, what are they made from

The base wood if you are on the west coast is alder and the east coast is oak.

Mesquite or Hickory 100% base wood (alder or oak) with flavor oils no actual Mesquite or Hickory wood in the pellet wtf1gif

Apple, Pecan or Cherry 70% base wood 30% Apple, Pecan or Cherry wood

Maple 100% Maple wood

Alder on the west coast is 100% Alder on east coast 70% oak 30% Alder

Oak on the east coast is 100% Oak on the west coast 70% Alder 30% Oak

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Check out BBQ brethren.  That is a very active BBQ forum.  They are a very helpful bunch and lots of experience with all kinds of cookers.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    Check out BBQ brethren.  That is a very active BBQ forum.  They are a very helpful bunch and lots of experience with all kinds of cookers.
    Thanks.  I sent the link on to him.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @UncleFred- For years I had a small CookShack Smokette. It done a fantastic job cooking meat. However if you are looking for that deep smoke taste, this was its weak point. But as far as how it cooked, it done about as good as anything. My Smokette was electric, not a pellet cooker. Now on to pellet cookers. If I were to buy one today, it would be one of the combination units that will serve as both a smoker and a grill. Why? In a nutshell, versatility. Kill two birds with one stone if you will. I point you to brother Reeds YouTube series to see the Yoder YS640 in action. It can grill steak or slow smoke brisket to perfection. Like the BGE, the YS 640 will do it all but it is a pellet cooker if that is your forte. I have seen the YS640 in action. It is built like a tank and works like a dream. Again like the BGE, it is about as close to "all around" as it gets. Yoder does make a larger version, the YS1500. If capacity is needed it is the way to go. A quick note on that subject, the 1500 will grill but is designed to be a smoker first and foremost. The 640 is the better "grill" of the two by design alone. If I did not own a egg and wanted something other than the egg as a all around home unit, the YS640 would be my first choice. It's built like a tank, reasonably priced and again it will serve as both a grill and smoker with equal authority. In my opinion it's only downside is that it is a pellet cooker. I don't know if that is really a downside but being old and stuck in my ways I haven't enbraced the pellet technology yet. But if I were to buy a pellet pooper today, it would without question or doubt be the YS640 for the above mentioned reasons. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    Options
    If you want something that looks like and egg and use pellets..
    http://rockymountainstove.com/blackolivepelletgrill.aspx
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • UncleFred
    Options
    SGH said:
    @UncleFred- For years I had a small CookShack Smokette.....
    Thanks for all this info. It is much appreciated and well received by my son.  His comment back was that it looked like he had a lot more research to do.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    Thanks for all this info. It is much appreciated and well received by my son.  His comment back was that it looked like he had a lot more research to do.
    My pleasure my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• UncleFred
    Options
    ekuapa said:
    If you want something that looks like and egg and use pellets..
    http://rockymountainstove.com/blackolivepelletgrill.aspx
    Thanks. I'm not sure this is what he's looking for though.  I think we wants an Egg and a dedicated smoker too.
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    2 c here: I started with a brinkman smoke and grill , electric vertical, kettle  grill, and now BGE.  Considered a Traeger.  Electric and pellet are easier, consistent, but less versatile ,less fun, and you are limited by the pellets compared to the multiple flavor combinations of different charcoals and smoke woods available.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have a smokin-it #3 that I use frequently, and love it (http://www.smokin-it.com/).  Often people associate electric with cheap quality smokers, but that is not the case with cookshack and smokin-it.  I love my eggs, and use them for most of my cooks.  But I have to be honest, when it comes to a big smoke, or one where I don't want the hassle, I go for my electric.  I get the same quality result without the fuss.  But sometimes I want the fuss.

Anyway, if he is going electric, I would recommend checking out the smokin-it.  They have a good user forum too (http://smokinitforums.com/index.php)
  • ilwaldens
    ilwaldens Posts: 27
    Options
    I have a Bradley Smoker and have been using it for the past 5 years.  It has done an amazing job and I will be keeping it.  Even though I am buying a LBGE by the end of the month.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    My next door neighbor has a high end commercial  electrical smoker. big thing he keeps it in the garage and rolls it out to cook.  Cost a fortune I am sure. His wife is a relator and gives away briskets he has smoked to her clients and home buyers.  He does probably more than  a dozen  medium briskets at one time. Some of the best brisket I have ever tasted comes out of his smoker. Electric does not mean cheap or poor quality. 
  • Paul_in_Canton
    Options
    Hi UncleFred, I am a happy owner of a 10 year old Cookshack (old version of current Smokette) and I love it as much as my LBGE.  There are some things the Egg will do better than the Cookshack and there are other things the Cookshack does better than the Egg. A good friend of mine has a couple of Cookshack smokers and he loves them because he cooks in large quantities that an Egg can't. Tell your son to do his research and go with his gut. Can't go wron either way. 
    Large BGE, Cookshack Smokette, Weber Genesis Gold, and Weber Smokey Joe
    Canton, Ohio
    Home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame
  • UncleFred
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the great information/insight...

Heck, now I might look into getting one of these units myself!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I thought about getting a pellet burner.  They are convenient and I like that.  The one I was eyeing was the Traeger that looks like a pig.  The cool factor is an "11"!  In the end I stuck with my deeper desire to be an Egghead.

Flint, Michigan