Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knoxville Tennessee Visit

You guys have helped when I visited Atlanta and then Chicago.  I am spending only one night in Knoxville this week can you suggest best place to try ribs?  There are quite a few highly rated restauants on Yelp and other sites not sure which to visit.  Is Knoxville known for dry ribs like Memphis?

Thanks,

Howard

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Burgers. ..Litton's. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Knoxville doesn't really have great BBQ, Calhoun's ribs are ok. I agree with henapple on Litton's. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • yankeefan
    yankeefan Posts: 42
    This is disappointing.  Thanks for letting me know
  • I've not had them, but I know several who have....Dead End BBQ.   My friends highly recommend this place for ribs.   But this is second hand information. 
  • jls9595
    Some people really like Dead End BBQ, I've never had it but it's a local place.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • CorbinEgg
    CorbinEgg Posts: 29
    Sausage and cheese applitizer at Dead End BBQ is really good.  Great place
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Grab breakfast at Tupelo Honey-
    Greensboro, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If you ever go to Boston, log in as someone else before asking. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    At Dead End BBQ the TN Cheddar Brisket sandwich is top notch.  Only had there ribs once not impressed.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Just called my Knoxville salesman ( he's a Knoxville lifer). He said Dead End on Sutherland Ave is best but a little harder to find. He's said Buddy's on Kingston Pike is good too even though it's an area chain. Easier to find. 
  • yankeefan
    If you ever go to Boston, log in as someone else before asking. :)
    LOL, don't think Bostonians care anymore. Yanks will be rebuilding for the next decade
  • yankeefan
    edited March 2015
    Just called my Knoxville salesman ( he's a Knoxville lifer). He said Dead End on Sutherland Ave is best but a little harder to find. He's said Buddy's on Kingston Pike is good too even though it's an area chain. Easier to find. 
    Thanks for calling!   Between your post and others looks like Dead End will be the place to try.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I was at Calhouns's on Kingston Pike a few year's back. Sitting, drinking and eating at the bar - on an expense account. Ordered wings and fries. Struck up a conversation with a couple next to me at the bar. 

The wings were really good but they were small, I mean tiny. the guy asked how did I like the wings. I said they're really good but they're too small. 

The  guy was the owner. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Oh, the important part, the bartender was a female hottie! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Grew up in Knoxville and live here now. There are three places I would tell you to check out. The best ribs and pork I have had here in the last few years are at Archer's BBQ. There are several locations in Rocky Hill, Bearden and Farragut. My second choice for pork is Sweet P's with Dead End coming in close too. Never had ribs at either of those though. If you don't want BBQ, I would suggest Litton's or Stock and Barrell they both have great burgers. Hope you enjoy your visit. 
    LBGE Knoxville, TN
  • jls9595
    just go here, thank me later...

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • yankeefan
    All that helped out with this. I just found out my meeting changed to Nashville. There's gotta be a ton of good local (non touristy) places to get ribs. 

Howard
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    There's actually not many imho. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    yankeefan said:
    All that helped out with this. I just found out my meeting changed to Nashville. There's gotta be a ton of good local (non touristy) places to get ribs. 

Howard
    Nashville = Hot Chicken. Head to Hattie B's
  • yankeefan
    henapple said:

henapple said:
    You are so right.  Went to Peg Leg Porker as many raved about them.  Thought we were eating rib jerky, pretty dry not the best taste.  We left there after eating 1/2 the meal.  Had to give Nashville another chance so same night we went to Jack's BBQ on Broadway.  Better, meats were moist but neither of us thought it was anything special.  Ended up eating non-BBQ food rest of our stay.

Howard
  • Knoxville Native......
    1) Archer's BBQ off Kingston Pike
    2) Sweet P's
    3) Dead End
    4) Burgers. ..Litton's. 
    Calhoun's ribs are not good.
    XL-BGE (Wine N Down), L-BGE (Whiskey Dreams),  MiniMax-BGE (Bourbon N Bowties), Mini-BGE (Beer Run) 
  • Don_Piero
    Don_Piero Posts: 97
    edited January 2017
    Just went through Knoxville and ate at Archer's.  Outstanding Ribs, collard greens and pulled pork sandwich.   We stopped there on the way to Florida and stopped there on the way back home to Toronto.  Thanks for the recommendation.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • Grew up in Knoxville and live here now. There are three places I would tell you to check out. The best ribs and pork I have had here in the last few years are at Archer's BBQ. There are several locations in Rocky Hill, Bearden and Farragut. My second choice for pork is Sweet P's with Dead End coming in close too. Never had ribs at either of those though. If you don't want BBQ, I would suggest Litton's or Stock and Barrell they both have great burgers. Hope you enjoy your visit. 
    This is DEAD ON... Dead End BBQ is the most overrated BBQ I've ever tried. I just don't get the hype. The ribs at Dead End are not good at all and the pulled pork is on the dry side.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump