Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty Question

Options
My grandfather bought a BGE in 1992 from the store in Lawrenceville.  

Anywho, he has never replaced any parts and the egg is in pretty bad shape (he's cooked on it 2-3 times a week since 92).  He has done some home fixing to it instead of replacing parts because he doesn't use the internet, etc.  I've never noticed all of the broken pieces until a couple of months ago.  I took picture of the rusted out draft door, cracked fire rings and fire grate.  Do you think they will warranty this?  He purchased so long ago it was never registered nor does he have a receipt.
Marietta, Ga
I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Never hurts to ask, worst they can say is no.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    To tag along, what do you do if your egg dealer doesn't know much about warranties and won't help you get a replacement fire ring?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree it certainly doesn't hurt to ask. I think the metal parts are only covered for 5 years so the fire grate and draft door might not be covered. The ceramic pieces should be covered (fire ring, fire box, base, dome). Technically I think he is supposed to have a receipt but I bet they might work with you. I would replace the fire grate with either a hi-que grill grate.
    tamu2009 said:
    To tag along, what do you do if your egg dealer doesn't know much about warranties and won't help you get a replacement fire ring?
    You can go to any dealer for a warranty replacement (doesn't have to be the dealer you purchased from).  If there is not one convenient contact BGE support. 

http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would gather as much info as I could, apox date of purchase, etc. Then I would take pictures and send them to service at the Mother Ship followed by a call to Bruce who does the warranty claims at 1 (800) 793-2292. They will probably want to know how the breakage occurred accident or normal use. Have some info prepared to answer those questions. They may get sticky about the receipt and registration,  but you won't know until you try. If you have any old pics of your dad at the grill I would include one or two along with a current pic. After all it is a sweet story. Best of luck. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    see if it has a serial number inside the dome, not sure if they've always done that or not
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    92 might be a clay egg, i dont think they had lifetime warrantys like the newer ceramic eggs. anyone know when they changed over 94/95?
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    92 might be a clay egg, i dont think they had lifetime warrantys like the newer ceramic eggs. anyone know when they changed over 94/95?
    never knew that.....eagerly awaiting a response to this.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Clay egg:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fishlessman
    Options
    this will bother me for a while, someone did a writeup, clay to ceramic with verticle mold lines, to the newer style...bubba tim? maybe the whiz
    fukahwee maine

• chupacabra
    Options
    Hit egg has that same handle on it but it is Green
    Marietta, Ga
    I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    this will bother me for a while, someone did a writeup, clay to ceramic with verticle mold lines, to the newer style...bubba tim? maybe the whiz
    You should be able to sleep tonight, Mike. :)

"Historical note:  ANY EGG WITH A SEAM WAS MADE IN 1997 or earlier.  Clay Eggs, 1974 through 1994-ish, are made with a teracota mixure "

http://www.bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options
    they used the same handle til around 2001 when they changed to a spring hinge. this link shows a clay egg green and a newr ceramic with the same handle if you scrole down thru it, should give you better info for when you call

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/499241/age-of-a-bge

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    You should be able to sleep tonight, Mike. :)

"Historical note:  ANY EGG WITH A SEAM WAS MADE IN 1997 or earlier.  Clay Eggs, 1974 through 1994-ish, are made with a teracota mixure "

http://www.bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php
    thanks, couldnt find that link for some reason. now im not sure when warrantys started, probably 98 but could be early seamed eggs
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Faith may know. She started egging in '96. Don't know what kind of egg she started with though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• chupacabra
    Options
    Wanted to update this thread.  Spoke with Bruce and he is helping me out.  All the replaceable's are waiting for me to pick them up at HQ.  Fantastic news and best of all I'll get to surprise my grandfather with some new working pieces!
     =) 
    Marietta, Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Bruce is the MAN!! Always a pleasure dealing with him. Glad it worked out for you. :joy: 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Yes, recent experience dealing with Bruce was a pleasure. 
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Nice end to a great story. Maybe a pic of your grandpa at his newly restored grill. 
  • JGoodson
    JGoodson Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree with @keepervodeflame ..... A pic of Grandpops and the egg is in order! 
    McDonough,Ga   Large & Small BGE  Dawgs, Falcons and Bravos!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    DMW said:
    Clay egg:

Hey, what did you think of your visit to the Holy Land?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• chupacabra
    Options
    I'll get a picture.  My grandfather lives about 70 miles away so I'm going to try to get by HQ on Friday and take him everything this weekend.
    Marietta, Ga
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    ^^Some pretty good stuff, there...^^  I'm very happy it all worked out for you.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    What a sweet story. Very good and appropriate for BGE to come through like they did. Hats off to Bruce, he's always been great to me. 
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Great story and you definitely made him proud.  Very nice.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina