Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

[Eggcessory] Name that Nest for XL

Hi All,

Thank you all for the birthday wishes, compliments, and questions. I noticed a lot of interest in the nest my XL sits in. See the picture below for reference.

Here are my thoughts. I really enjoy this cart/table. I can roll my egg around but it's takes considerable force to get it going (I consider this a good thing), it's stable and the struts prevent the egg from tipping out (I always pull it by the handle), two tables give me room to work, I store my plate setter and ceramic cap on the bottom rack when not in use, the grate will balance on the table (though I never do this),  and it's powder-coated. The tables fold down and the bottom rack provides space. In short I'd typify this as above average but not over-engineered for longevity. My improvements would focus on adding hooks to the table-ends for holding a grate or tools, using thicker diamond grates, bigger casters, 4 locking casters rather than 2, and a more robust support infrastructure for the tables-- an additional support arm and thicker support arms in general would go a long way IMO. I'm coming up on one year (June) and the table has seemingly weathered well. For the record I don't think this was custom, at least I didn't customize it (it would be burnt orange if I did). I purchased this nest from Berings in Houston: http://www.berings.com/ . If you call, speak to Richard, he's great.

Comments

• Baine
    Baine Posts: 19
    Oh and the stick is for stirring coals or flattening ash in the bottom.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I stopped by Berings 2 weeks ago when they were having a cooking Demo and saw the cart…very nice.

Stopped into Sam's Club last night just south of Houston and found this on the floor…again.lol
    I know my BGE dealer in South Houston is getting pissed. 

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    edited April 2015
    ^^^^ No warranty. Might as well buy used. 
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Why no warranty? I thought all you needed was a receipt. 
    McKinney, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Lmidkiff said:
    Why no warranty? I thought all you needed was a receipt. 
    From BGE web site:

Authorized Dealer and Internet Policy

Authorized Dealer and Internet Sales Policy

Big Green Egg does not authorize distribution of its products through shopping clubs, wholesale clubs or discount club stores and discount chain stores, or through e-commerce sites. Any such entity offering Big Green Eggs is an unauthorized reseller, and may have obtained the merchandise through fraudulent or other improper means, or may have obtained EGGs from third parties with the intention of re-selling them for promotional reasons. Like many other companies, BGE does not extend warranty coverage to products once they are resold by unauthorized resellers or resold by private parties. Consumers are advised to check the Dealer Locator before making a purchase to verify that they are purchasing a genuine Big Green Egg product from an Authorized Big Green Egg Dealer and to obtain warranty coverage from Big Green Egg.

To purchase a Big Green Egg, please visit an Authorized Dealer in your area or CLICK HERE to use our Dealer Locator.
    Many dealers will assist with assembly and delivery or set-up options if needed.

If you do not have a dealer conveniently located, contact The Big Green Egg Retail Sales Center at 770.934.5300 or 800.793.2292 for more information or CLICK HERE for Customer Service.

BIG GREEN EGG®, EGG®, EGGtoberfest®, EGGcessories®, EGG Mates® and others are Registered Trademarks and/or Trademarks of The Big Green Egg, Inc. The distinctive green color and overall configuration of the EGG in such color are also trademarks of The Big Green Egg, Inc.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Although I hope BGE shows some mercy to customers who have purchased from these clubs and such.
    I have never in my life researched the web before purchasing a product to guarantee  the seller was a registered dealer in the United States.
    I did check the Houston area from the BGE site and there is a BGE dealer listing at a Honda Car Dealership in Lake Jackson. Who would guess a car dealer would be on the list…?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Horrible price.  My dealer In NJ charges $999 for the XL.  
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    @lowandslow I bet not with nest and side tables.

Either way this reduces their brand value.  KJ sells here occassionally.  It is a roadshow with a good salesman.  Just plopping an egg in an isle is not helping BGE brand.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Photo Egg said:
    Although I hope BGE shows some mercy to customers who have purchased from these clubs and such.
    I have never in my life researched the web before purchasing a product to guarantee  the seller was a registered dealer in the United States.
    I did check the Houston area from the BGE site and there is a BGE dealer listing at a Honda Car Dealership in Lake Jackson. Who would guess a car dealer would be on the list…?
    I disagree.  The big box store should handle the warranty not BGE. They know what they are doing.  They are using BGE to increase their own club membership value.  Without BGE consent.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    edited April 2015
    Photo Egg said:
    I disagree.  The big box store should handle the warranty not BGE. They know what they are doing.  They are using BGE to increase their own club membership value.  Without BGE consent.
    I understand your view, but they can not handle the claim because they are not a dealer and ultimately it hurts a customer who does not understand all the red tape and ends up thinking poorly of BGE. The Sam's club store manager looked me in the eyes and told me they were a BGE Dealer and BGE would handle and honor the warrantee. I pulled out my phone and said lets call them now and clear this up. He walked away.
    As much as this happens BGE should be able to stop these sales from happening at the Box and Club stores.
    BGE calls them "shopping clubs, wholesale clubs or discount club"…why not come out say Sam's Club and Costco are NOT dealers and any purchase made from them at this time will not be covered or supported by BGE and make it crystal clear.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @Photo Egg I like your suggestion.  I wonder why they don't name names?
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I'm not sure about Sam's Club' return policy, but at least Costco would refund if any breaks.

I think it's BS myself, this happened several years ago too, don't sell your products to the big bad whole dale clubs if you won't honor the warranty.  

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    That's my question... How are the big clubs sourcing them?   If BGE sells to them  then shame on BGE  for disallowing warranty.  Am I off base?
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Horrible price.  My dealer In NJ charges $999 for the XL.  
    Yes, but my guess the nest and tables come with it.  The $999 price is just for the XL and no plate setter.  My XL with nest, tables, plate setter, ash tool, grate picker, lighting sticks and a 20# bag of BGE charcoal was $1665.  Now my wife thinks it was $1000 for all of that.  The nest alone is $200.  I still wouldn't buy it from Sam's I like going to a full service dealer like mine.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    I would be extremely surprised if BGE sold directly to the big clubs.  It would make no sense for the big clubs to purchase from BGE without having the  warranty included.

I suspect that the big clubs purchase off the gray market ... at a deep discount to offset returns.  Maybe via an overseas distributor where the rules are a little different.  Most companies who supply top end product fight this problem.  It cheapens the brand name and irritates the customer who thought they got the "real" thing.

There might be a business model that makes sense for BGE and the big clubs to team up in private, but I can't think of one.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    I have seen where clubs will buy items from local dealers/distributors.  They then sell them as loss leaders to attract members, "hey with your $50 membership look what cool things we can get you".  Costcos warranty is fantastic for electronics and stuff, but when it comes to my egg I don't want to lug it back for a refund.  I want new parts.
  • Photo Egg
    I have seen where clubs will buy items from local dealers/distributors.  They then sell them as loss leaders to attract members, "hey with your $50 membership look what cool things we can get you".  Costcos warranty is fantastic for electronics and stuff, but when it comes to my egg I don't want to lug it back for a refund.  I want new parts.
    That was the same angle I was told about from a local distributor. Pisses them off as well to know it's being done.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas